Author Topic: Tebow(Young) mango  (Read 4672 times)

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Tebow(Young) mango
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 11:17:44 PM »
This thread is about re-naming, which we generally object to.

At least 'Peach Cobbler' is an original name;  prior to being named it had an expeimental-field row-and-plant#-in-row ID, which is not normally considered to be a name.
I was under the impression the original name was "Oh Too".

What happened to 'Guava Nirvana' and 'Goddess Juice'?

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 10:14:00 AM »
Just recently received a bunch of Young's in the mail and they are just marginally better than what we can get from the grocery store.

BohicaBob

• East Central Florida, USA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 01:03:51 PM »
I harvested all of my Young mangoes last week.  All have ripened properly this week and are simply wonderful fruit.  By the way, I've eaten dozens and dozens of mango varieties in 60+ years and this variety is just one of my favorites - maybe that's why I have two of these trees in my yard.  :)

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2019, 03:01:48 PM »
Glass method is you cut off the cheeks of the mango and then using a glass you peel out the fruit

Big fruit doesn’t take long to process

YouTube video somewhere

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 03:22:46 PM »
What about 'peach cobbler'?
or Coconut tapioca pie?

I got about 30 Peach Cobblers from my tree this year. Not worth the hassle since the fruit will ripen on the tree without changing color.

When a name is so descriptive, it ruins the fruit for me. I am expecting it to taste like a peach cobbler even though I know it won't, and when it obviously doesn't I am disappointed.

I have no such expectations for a Dot, Julie, etc.

How to you feel about the peach cobbler otherwise? I have a tree but it has yet to produce any fruit. I've heard good things about the fruit and yes I've heard that it tastes nothing like peach anything.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 12:51:01 AM »
I've now read the other comments on this forum (early 2010's) and other spots on the Internet that say the Young mango is bland and not worth growing.

...it is entirely possible that now after ten years of growing the tree that the fruit has improved?    Sometime's mango does have a bad year in taste due to environmental conditions or age of tree. 

I planted the Tebow/young in 2009.   ten years later.  I really liked the fruit and its the first time I tasted it as it always got raped by rodents.   I have given the tree zero care as well.  No spray, no fertilizer, no water. Its on its own.  Maybe that makes a diff also.  I'm a true believer on never fertilize or water a mango. They don't need it and that just encourages vegetation growth.

I'm also on Merritt Island with a ten foot sand ridge.  So, plenty of room for roots to grow. Water table is ten feet down.   

Thus, you guys in So.Fla may have different growing conditions. 

Ok, 'nuff said.  I think it is one of the best tasting.  Carry on and thanks for not banning me.  :P

My experience has been exactly the same with the  ‘Young’ mango. My yard sits on top of a rare S. Florida hill. And, the water level is also 10 feet down (or more), maybe that has something to do with the fruit quality.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2019, 12:04:06 PM »
Is this some kind of joke?

PI Nursery rates the Young/Tebow at 5 stars for flavor.  I have rarely disagreed with PIN on any 5 star rating.   Mild flavored Mango's can also be excellent - Glenn being a case in point.   If you want to talk about totally over rated Mango's lets talk about NDM, Maha & Angie which get totally undeserved rave reviews.

PS - Go Tebow & Go Gators............Could have been worse they could have renamed it "Obama".
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.