Author Topic: Mango trees not growing  (Read 568 times)

koundog

• U.S FL,Vero Beach 10a
    • View Profile
Mango trees not growing
« on: August 05, 2020, 09:06:01 PM »
I planted multiple varities of mango trees two years ago all from three gallon pots. These trees have not grown at all my question is why. Ive fertilized them with various brands from home depot they get sun most of the day. What seems to happen is about once a year they try to push some new growth but the leaves are very small and the flush is only 1 or two inches long. 1 probelm could be the rains this year my backyard where they are is prone to standing water in heavy rains the past few months all record highs have made my yard a swamp about half the summer thus far but the trees were still not doing anything prior to the heavy rains. Im just seeking advise on what to do to get these trees going. Mango trees in the front yard grow just fine.

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
Re: Mango trees not growing
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 09:12:10 PM »
I planted multiple varities of mango trees two years ago all from three gallon pots. These trees have not grown at all my question is why. Ive fertilized them with various brands from home depot they get sun most of the day. What seems to happen is about once a year they try to push some new growth but the leaves are very small and the flush is only 1 or two inches long. 1 probelm could be the rains this year my backyard where they are is prone to standing water in heavy rains the past few months all record highs have made my yard a swamp about half the summer thus far but the trees were still not doing anything prior to the heavy rains. Im just seeking advise on what to do to get these trees going. Mango trees in the front yard grow just fine.

From my experience mangos like dry to moist soil, and dont like soggy “swamplike” soil. Here in Honduras mangos grow even in the wild and ive always seen them thriving in neglect and even very dry conditions.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
Re: Mango trees not growing
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 05:54:18 AM »
This non stop rain we have had here in Vero Beach for the last couple of months have put most of our Mangos into a continuous flush/tip prune/flush cycle.  Most are starting their 3rd or 4th back to back flush.  Soil health principals and grass fed raw cow manure work great.  Since we are a closed loop system we have to make all our own fertility, tiny amounts of a quality compost (this is not wood chips) works if you don’t have access to cow manure.  Large amounts of quality compost work amazingly well also.  Biological systems thrive with excess rain if managed properly soil building also kicks into hyperdrive (adding organic matter is not soil building).

This is what our soil is like now.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:31:45 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk