Author Topic: R Cal mango's more intensely flavored then Fla?  (Read 4687 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
R Cal mango's more intensely flavored then Fla?
« on: July 25, 2020, 02:08:10 PM »
California mango Growers have wet Winters and dry Summers which seems to be immensely challenging. My question is are their mangos more intensely flavored than Florida's mangos? A comment was made that the earlier Florida mangoes are more intensely flavored than the later ones which are washed out. So would a LZ from Cali be Sublime!!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 02:15:12 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: R Cal mango's more intensely flavored then Fla?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 02:42:55 PM »
Depends on who you ask (people tend to be very opinionated) and who is growing them.  Their season is different than ours.  They have different disease issues than we do (no MBBS but they can have a PM issue and they cannot grow on Turpentine rootstock for the most part).
- Rob

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 06:49:42 PM »
California grown mango is basically a mirage in that , how many people grow Mango’s to fruition in CA ? Versus Florida. There is more Mango’s on the ground at Fruit and Spice Park on a day in July than the entirety of the CA mango harvest. If you can succeed fruiting Mango in CA it’s definitely going to taste that much sweeter.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 07:23:02 PM »
We haven't heard from MangoFang in Palm Springs in more than two years, but he seemed to always describe his mangos as intensely flavored.  I believe his LZs were sublime.  Makes sense--the dry, desert heat.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 07:29:50 PM »
We haven't heard from MangoFang in Palm Springs in more than two years, but he seemed to always describe his mangos as intensely flavored.  I believe his LZs were sublime.  Makes sense--the dry, desert heat.

Hence my comment about opinionated.   Did you ever hear anyone say they had a crop of lousy, inedible mangoes (or any other fruit for that matter)?

There are some excellent mangoes grown in the San Diego area and the quality has been confirmed by a South Floridian who's opinion would be extremely well accepted (no, its not me lol).  The harvest is however somewhat inconsistent due to the variability of the Cali climate.
- Rob

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »
And yes, it's MangoFang rising from the dead!   So, be careful lumping all So Cal growing zones into the LA/SanDiego coastal area.  I live out in Palm Springs and this desert climate is completely diff. than the coasts.  We have 6.5 inches of rain per year, 95% of which falls from like November thru March, and daily average summer temperatures of 108, supplemental water is essential.  As far as flavor, I think the dry heat might help the taste, but really hard to compare as BS said.  There are two working mango orchards out here in  the Eastern Coachella Valley that drive their produce into Los Angeles to sell at Farmer's markets so mangoes will grow here.   I had 160 mangoes last year at my house on about 8 trees.......

Nice to see the Forum is still a booming success.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 09:42:53 PM »
But your LZs are sublime, aren't they, Gary??
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 11:13:40 PM »
And yes, it's MangoFang rising from the dead!   So, be careful lumping all So Cal growing zones into the LA/SanDiego coastal area.  I live out in Palm Springs and this desert climate is completely diff. than the coasts.  We have 6.5 inches of rain per year, 95% of which falls from like November thru March, and daily average summer temperatures of 108, supplemental water is essential.  As far as flavor, I think the dry heat might help the taste, but really hard to compare as BS said.  There are two working mango orchards out here in  the Eastern Coachella Valley that drive their produce into Los Angeles to sell at Farmer's markets so mangoes will grow here.   I had 160 mangoes last year at my house on about 8 trees.......

Nice to see the Forum is still a booming success.
I read an article about that area a long time back about spraying tree trunks of small trees with white latex paint/water mix until the foliage is developed enough to provide shade and if i remember right they also sprayed the bigger tree's leaves with some reflective white stuff not sure what?   i can't find the article again. :(
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 11:18:22 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 08:46:46 AM »
SoCal and Florida mangos are girly man mangoes, they don't even look purty.  :P Not as purty as those grown in Texas.   ;D

Season started about 2 weeks ago for me.  So far Glenn has been the richest and then Pickering.  I forgot how much Lemon Zest tastes like lemon!  Cut one and the juice drips too.   My mangos are eyes closed OMG quality......as good as the ones I've had from Florida commercial fruit growers if not better.  Only bad mangos are store bought mangos.

More varieties to come - Orange Sherbet, Pineapple Pleasure, etc.  PP are HUGE.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 08:49:12 AM »
I read an article about that area a long time back about spraying tree trunks of small trees with white latex paint/water mix until the foliage is developed enough to provide shade and if i remember right they also sprayed the bigger tree's leaves with some reflective white stuff not sure what?   i can't find the article again. :(

Nothing beats the effectiveness and ease of application than Surround WP for shading and organic pest control. It's sprayable white kaolin powder.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 07:33:33 AM by Mark in Texas »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 10:02:37 AM »

Nothing beats the effectiveness and ease of application than Surround WP for shading and organic pest control. It's sprayable white kaolin powder.
I could not find article but i did find this video. I find this very interesting! My brother lives in Corona Ca he claims that he would need jackhammer to plant a tree! I plan on sending his wife a mango tree.Reason she will make him plant it and if it die's he will be punished!!! ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5YGSSYCtoU
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 10:44:38 AM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 10:21:36 AM »
SoCal and Florida mangos are girly man mangoes, they don't even look purty.  :P Not as purty as those grown in Texas.   ;D

Season started about 2 weeks ago for me.  So far Glenn has been the richest and then Pickering.  I forgot how much Lemon Zest tastes like lemon!  Cut one and the juice drips too.   My mangos are eyes closed OMG quality......as good as the ones I've had from Florida commercial fruit growers if not better.  Only bad mangos are store bought mangos.

More varieties to come - Orange Sherbet, Pineapple Pleasure, etc.  PP are HUGE.

Mark i threw a softball to the Cali cool kids so they could boost but none have taken a swing.You my friend are very proud of your mango's so i will give you this award!!!

My intent was to get a reaction from the Fla boyz! To stir the pot :)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »
So Mark is showing his Texas grown mangoes that are grown in a GREENHOUSE. 

Here are some mangoes griwn in Florida on trees that are planted in the ground with no greenhouse

Mahachanok

Taralay

E4

Providence

Karen Michelle

Cotton Candy

Dupius

Sweet Tart

Lemon Zest

Fruit Cocktail

Aint THEY purdy.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 01:20:23 PM »
Wow!  Real purdy!
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 01:50:29 PM »
Wow!  Real purdy!
The Dupuis Saigon is beyond purdy! It appears to be Sublime!!!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 03:41:41 PM »
Mark i threw a softball to the Cali cool kids so they could boost but none have taken a swing.You my friend are very proud of your mango's so i will give you this award!!!

My intent was to get a reaction from the Fla boyz! To stir the pot :)

Sorry Bro, we are too busy eating good mango to be crowing.  :)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 04:17:09 PM »
I’ve had intensely flavored mangos from Florida and California. The quality is highly dependent on the grower and weather conditions, especially taking into consideration the amount of rain received. Although we are significantly dryer here in SoCal, we irrigate frequently to water our trees and some growers over-water and get large fruit but it comes at a cost.

I’ve found that my mangos are sweeter and have more concentrated flavor if I water just enough to keep them healthy. When over watered, my Lemon Zests are around 20-24% Brix. When kept a little thirsty and fertilized appropriately, my LZ get about 25-32%Brix.

Having tasted Florida, SoCal and Gary’s Lemon Zest grown in the deserts of Palm Springs, I would say that the Palm Springs Lemon Zests are the best I have ever had. Gary’s fruit quality is also consistently top tier.

I’ve sampled many LZ mangos from these three locations over multiple years and many of the flavor descriptions and Brix readings have been posted somewhere on this forum.

Simon

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 04:47:31 PM »
Having tasted Florida, SoCal and Gary’s Lemon Zest grown in the deserts of Palm Springs, I would say that the Palm Springs Lemon Zests are the best I have ever had. Gary’s fruit quality is also consistently top tier.
Simon
That's what I would have guessed.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 05:16:50 PM »
Simon
If that is the case I will get my brother who lives in Corona California to grow something other than Kashmir Kush and this pickle tree. ;) ;D

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2020, 05:25:24 PM »
Simon
If that is the case I will get my brother who lives in Corona California to grow something other than Kashmir Kush and this pickle tree. ;) ;D

WOW! This cactus is very beautifull! What variety is this one? Thank's!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2020, 07:42:16 PM »
Simon

he does not know offhand he got it from a friend who owns an exotic Nursery so given enough time he may be able to find out if so I'll send you a p.m. but I do like his plum tree

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2020, 08:49:30 PM »
Simon

Corona is not in the desert and does not get as hot as Palm Springs, but it does get hot.  So, by all means, get your brother to plant some mango trees, and he might be able to supply the family with some sublime Lemon Zests!
John

bob_tu

• Hayward/Castro Valley, CA, Zones 10a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 01:43:34 AM »
Wongfarms.org finished there "Golden Lady" mango harvest and are now selling Valencia prides all from Mecca, CA coachella valley area. Bought some of the golden ladies and they were super sweet and very fragrant, no tartness though . ..

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 02:51:44 AM »
Simon

Peruvian apple cactus. It produces a fruit similar to dragon fruit, but smooth skinned. Very refreshing. I love them.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2020, 07:38:53 AM »
Simon

Peruvian apple cactus. It produces a fruit similar to dragon fruit, but smooth skinned. Very refreshing. I love them.
Thank you very much!