Author Topic: Chronological yards  (Read 1697 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Chronological yards
« on: March 11, 2020, 05:59:01 PM »
I've kept a dated record of everything I planted and when it gave me fruit since I moved in and started planting in 2010, does anyone else?

If nothing else these records have given me more realistic expectations for time to fruit AND what may soon get the chop

Year 1-2  Banana, pineapple, papaya
Year 3-4  Muscadine Grapes, lemon and strawberry guava, Julie seedling, Madame Francis and Glenn Mango, purple custard apple, carambola, mulberry
Year 5-6 Jaboticaba (Sabara) South Florida and Winterset persimmon, tropic beauty peach, Pickering mango, sugar apple, Makok sapodilla, lemon drop mangosteen,
             Fairchild #2 canistel
Year 7-8 Sweetheart Lychee, Geffner Atemoya, Bangkok lemon Jak, 

Trees that have not yielded

4 years Longan
5 years Yellow, blue and grimal Jabo, green and purple caimito (flowered no fruit), kampong mauve sugar apple, san pablo custard apple, Lancetilla mango.
6 years soursop
9 years Excalibur mamey, tropic sweet peach, mauritius lychee

Trees I removed or * are on the short list to chop

White sapote -- kept dying back and recovering
Green sapote -- SLOW growth and L-O-N-G time to ripen fruit
Gold nugget jak -- Grew like wildfire started to undermine patio with huge roots. Fruited very well
Zebrina Rojo, and Blue java bananas Zebrina tasted awful, Blue java got way too large
*Excalibur mamey, tropic sweet peach and soursop, Lancetilla ( I may top work it)

Regards,

Gary

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Chronological yards
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 07:17:13 PM »
Sugar apple 5 years to fruit its unusual.They normally flower after a year and a half and by the year 2 you should get fruits.Thats for seedlings grown in containers.

Pawpaw Prima has 5 flowers at year 2 and might make somme fruit.

Almond from seed at year 2 flowered ( probably had more flowers but i trimmed all the branches except 1).

Sesbannia Punicea flowered from seeds after just 6 months.Its not a fruit tree and is poisonous but somme Sesbania sp are edible.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:19:53 PM by SeaWalnut »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 10:35:59 AM »
You should be able to get the soursop to fruit with zinc + boron + good irrigation. Caimito may require boron as well. (Based on personal sperience.) Soursop can fruit at around year 3 and caimito around year 3 - 4 with proper care / nutrition.

Mamey could also be lack of boron and / or irrigation (if it flowers and sets tiny fruit but then aborts them).

I haven't tried it (yet), but longan can be coaxed into fruiting with application of bleach.
Jeff  :-)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 10:55:08 AM »
You should be able to get the soursop to fruit with zinc + boron + good irrigation. Caimito may require boron as well. (Based on personal sperience.) Soursop can fruit at around year 3 and caimito around year 3 - 4 with proper care / nutrition.

Mamey could also be lack of boron and / or irrigation (if it flowers and sets tiny fruit but then aborts them).

I haven't tried it (yet), but longan can be coaxed into fruiting with application of bleach.

What type of zinc and boron do you use?
Foliar or soil applications?

I'm a little scared to use boron as I could easily overdo it.
Any advice would be appreciated

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 11:09:47 AM »
I've kept a dated record of everything I planted and when it gave me fruit since I moved in and started planting in 2010, does anyone else?

If nothing else these records have given me more realistic expectations for time to fruit AND what may soon get the chop

Year 1-2  Banana, pineapple, papaya
Year 3-4  Muscadine Grapes, lemon and strawberry guava, Julie seedling, Madame Francis and Glenn Mango, purple custard apple, carambola, mulberry
Year 5-6 Jaboticaba (Sabara) South Florida and Winterset persimmon, tropic beauty peach, Pickering mango, sugar apple, Makok sapodilla, lemon drop mangosteen,
             Fairchild #2 canistel
Year 7-8 Sweetheart Lychee, Geffner Atemoya, Bangkok lemon Jak, 

Trees that have not yielded

4 years Longan
5 years Yellow, blue and grimal Jabo, green and purple caimito (flowered no fruit), kampong mauve sugar apple, san pablo custard apple, Lancetilla mango.
6 years soursop
9 years Excalibur mamey, tropic sweet peach, mauritius lychee

Trees I removed or * are on the short list to chop

White sapote -- kept dying back and recovering
Green sapote -- SLOW growth and L-O-N-G time to ripen fruit
Gold nugget jak -- Grew like wildfire started to undermine patio with huge roots. Fruited very well
Zebrina Rojo, and Blue java bananas Zebrina tasted awful, Blue java got way too large
*Excalibur mamey, tropic sweet peach and soursop, Lancetilla ( I may top work it)

I have yearly yard pictures that I do but I should keep fruiting times in mind.
I'll make a thorough list soon but here is what I remember now.

Caimito - 3-4 yrs first fruit. Its been getting better every year.
Jackfruit (J-31) - 4 yrs
Avocado (Oro Negro) - 4 yrs
Soursop - 2yrs - One fruit so far
Atemoya (Gefner) - 3yrs (I hand-pollinated the year after for a good crop)

Only going to go into one mango right now:
NDM - 4 yrs - 6 yrs to get a really good crop

Still waiting on:
Jaboticabas (grimal and sabara)
Garcinias (all)
Persimmon (soflo)
Mammea Americana
Malay Apple

The rest of my non-mango trees are less than 2 years in the ground

Mango

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 12:47:47 PM »

Thanks Jeff, Irrigation is for sure not the issue, I have a well and use it. The mamey has not flowered but the soursop has, quite a bit. I even tried hand pollination per online vids and nothing so far. The sugar apples I expected to be slow they do not get a lot of sun.

I'll look into Zinc / Boron further  but so far what I've found is pretty expensive ~$100.

I feed my trees with the Excalibur fertilizer but I guess that's insufficient.
Regards,

Gary

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 03:00:30 PM »
I use nordox copper / zinc (rebranded as brandt) and biomin (https://www.7springsfarm.com/biolink-boron-liquid-2-0-0-b3-2-5-gallon-bottle-replaced-with-biomin/) as a foliar spray.

Copper /zinc at a rate of 1 tbsp per gal and biolink at 1/4 cup per 3 gals.

I apply the copper / zinc on a pretty regular basis and the boron maybe 6 times a year. My trees went from flowering but never fruiting to fruiting heavily.

What type of zinc and boron do you use?
Foliar or soil applications?

I'm a little scared to use boron as I could easily overdo it.
Any advice would be appreciated

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 03:10:06 PM »
Bummer about the mamey. Maybe give it another year. A more precocious variety would bear within 4 years.

I too apply fertilizer and even a micro element mix. So the trees get boatloads of micros. But apparently that's not enough. I do have strongly acid soil (imported 250 cu yards worth), which I think renders boron the boron less available. Basic soil can also constipate availability.

For me, hand pollination only resulted in bigger / fuller fruits (Giant), where natural pollination (or lack thereof?) produces smaller, misshapen fruits.

I've had the experience of old soursops flowering and bearing nothing for years. Same with atemoya. Then shortly after a couple of sprays of zinc and boron, I get 2 dozen fruits.

I had always made the assumption that lack of fruit meant lack of pollination (or male flowers), but it seems that in my case, it was mostly lack of nutrition.

Thanks Jeff, Irrigation is for sure not the issue, I have a well and use it. The mamey has not flowered but the soursop has, quite a bit. I even tried hand pollination per online vids and nothing so far. The sugar apples I expected to be slow they do not get a lot of sun.

I'll look into Zinc / Boron further  but so far what I've found is pretty expensive ~$100.

I feed my trees with the Excalibur fertilizer but I guess that's insufficient.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 05:28:09 PM »
Boric acid on amazon 3lbs for $20. This is 17% boron so 5lbs per acre per year, assuming you have a boron deficiency.

https://www.amazon.com/Powder-Greenway-Biotech-Contains-Pounds/dp/B072YHFJFH/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=boric+acid+greenway&qid=1584047961&sr=8-2

If you want to go the cheap route on boron, I have seen people recommend using borax that you can find in stores in the cleaning detergents aisle. I believe borax is sodium borate, 11.3% boron.  On the boron side, you would not want to exceed 8 lbs per acre, assuming you have a boron deficiency. I am not sure on the sodium side.

7springs has a granular boron for soil application that is 10lbs for $31 with shipping.  This bag would probably be good for 1 acre. Generally not recommended for alkaline soils. 

https://www.7springsfarm.com/boron-10-granular-10-lb-bag/

Amazon has zinc sulfate powder for $13 for 1lbs and 5 lbs for $24. My soil has excess zinc so I don't have a clue how much you would want to use but I don't think you want to be heavy handed with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Zinc-Sulfate-Powder-Contains-Greenway/dp/B00HFEDI7Q/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=3IIJO6CFWNCCL&keywords=zinc+sulfate+powder&qid=1584047128&sprefix=zinc+sul%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&smid=A1849PG4OXHM2J&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSTlKS01UWTZGNVlPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjYwOTMwWUdGQ0pNS0c1MkRDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNDExMDYyTTEwWlFXTEdTWEwxJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.com/Sulfate-Powder-Monohydrate-Greenway-Biotech/dp/B00HFEHF1Q/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3IIJO6CFWNCCL&keywords=zinc+sulfate+powder&qid=1584047402&sprefix=zinc+sul%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-10
Brandon

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 12:53:46 PM »
Thanks all, I'm going to hang tough for a couple of years an the soursop and mamey now.
Regards,

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk