Author Topic: Future’s Florida Fruit Feast - Vol 9 - 2019 edition  (Read 22045 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Future’s Florida Fruit Feast - Vol 9 - 2019 edition
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
Breakfast: Sweet Tart, Bombay, Orange Essence, Cac, Coconut Cream, Orange Sherbet

Sweet Tart retains its top 10 status in the mangoverse.  Pure delight.

First Bombay of the year.  It was small, a mediocre following ST.

Orange Essence is growing on me.  I didn't expect much when others said it wasn't top tier but I really enjoy it.  Its more syrupy than OS which is more like concentrate.

Cac retains its top 12 status with rich, dense, complex and sweet offerings.  No fault there.

Coconut Cream seemed over ripe but was actually under ripe (or picked early).  Had more like a pineapple flavor today in this stage.

Orange Sherbet showed top form today.  Incredible sweetness, blowing away everything on the table.  Maybe I got lucky but this one was in the LZ ridiculous flavour range today.  Creamy, sickly sweet, melting profile and just sheer delight.

Do I really need to name the winner?

Upcoming: Ice Cream, Coconut Cream, Lemon Zest, M-10, Ivory, Sweet Tart,
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 12:40:10 PM by Future »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2019, 05:20:10 PM »
Had a friend over and we mashed: Fruit Punch, Coconut Cream, White Pirie, Gary, Mallika, Fukuda, Ice Cream, Orange Sherbet, Lemon Zest, Sunrise, Guava.

Mallika brought the funk.  Ice Cream was a dream.  White Pirie's resinous sweetness impressed.  Sunrise was good.  Fruit Punch finally did.  Lemon Zest stayed a shade behind but Orange Sherbet, the winner, with honorable mention to Coconut Cream & Guava.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »
Breakfast:  M-10, Orange Essence, Orange Sherbet, Sweet Tart

M-10 is officially growing on me.  Its a big mango.  The standard aficionado requirements are all ticked: fibreless, tasty, sweet, aromatic.  Bonus points for flavor subtlety in flavor.  Paying close attention to taste at its proper ripening stage, it has shades of Yi Xuan or Beatrice.  That's pretty good.  I still need to find the words to describe the flavor complex but suffice to say for now...its sublime.

Orange Essence I need to savor at its firm stage.  Everything I had was fine but it begs to be eaten firm.  I thoroughly enjoy its syrupy orange offering. 

Orange Sherbet was off form today, perhaps at 70% of its apex.  Still good but falling short of form and also...

Sweet Tart.  Today was her day.  A perfectly ripe ST rocks the mind's brix meter.  Sickly sweet and succulent.  If these and CC were consistent, fruit to fruit and year to year, many many fruit would be put to out to pasture......

ST wins.

The last of the unrefrigerated mango are upon us.  Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream, Ice Cream, OS, Pram Kai Mea, Cac, Choc Anon and Sweet Tart await.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 01:30:26 PM by Future »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2019, 08:41:19 PM »
There is a new mail order mango provider. They have exceptional prices and the best staff, ever.  Even better, they have Julie mangoes when everyone else seems to have run out.  And from a historic tree of Trinidadian origins.  And...well I’ll let the owner say more...

Dinner: Choc Anon, Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream, Pram Kai Mea, Cac

I ate Choc Anon, PKM and Cac with low expectations. All were from the fridge and visibly in decline, especially PKM. surprise: they actually were pretty good. Choc Anon is among my daughter’s faves and I have to give credit, it was ok!  Cac was essentially unspoiled. PKM required some salvaging but what was good was good.  The second to last LZ is finishing strong with Cac close behind

LZ wins.

Now if only this new mango dealer can chime in....

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2019, 01:00:01 PM »
Breakfast: Lemon Zest, Orange Sherbet, Sweet Tart, Super Alphonso, Mulgoba, Baptiste

Mulgoba was toast.  Apologies to this age old classic.  Mulgoba

Baptiste drove me to doing a Sheehan.  One bite and done.  Ug.

Super Alphonso was slightly under ripe but fared well.

The Last of the OS was upon us and we already look fwd to 2020s offerings.

Same for LZ.  Not in top form but nonetheless good.

Sweet Tart bedazzled.  Fully ripened, full on sugar.  Easily wins.

Other than me new found Julies and a baby OS, we shift gears now to refrigerated mangoes...

I still have a ZINC, Edgar, Fruit Cocktail, Jakarta and plenty more in the mix.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2019, 06:40:38 PM »
Dinner: Julie, Venus, Ice Cream, Mallika, Guava, Orange Sherbet

I got good advice from a credible aficionado (Sheehan) to eat these Julies 'green'.  The first one turned colour.  It smelled divine.  it was dead firm, no give.  I took a chance.  Inside was....immaculate.  Juice ran from the first cut and aroma wafted all around.  Ahhh a fresh Julie.  Top 30 mango it is.

Mallika tends to do ok for me refriedgerated.  This one was dense, firm and succulent but not sweet.  Still a quality mango though.

Ice Cream for ice cream.  It continues to please.

OS was tiny and the last for 2019.  Fab.

Venus, a biggie, had plenty of juice, shades of P-22 but I must say P-22 outshines it. 

Guava was the showstopper.  Firm, fragrant silk remain immaculate after a week in the fridge.  Dense, sweet and smooth.  Superb.

Guava wins.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2019, 10:59:21 AM »
I have to ask, Future, do you eat anything other than mangos on these mango-feasting excursions? :D

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2019, 12:23:04 PM »
I have to ask, Future, do you eat anything other than mangos on these mango-feasting excursions? :D

Occasionally.  At this torrid pace, it took me about 2 weeks to hit the mango wall.  For certainty, I'm probably averaging 30 miles a day biking.   :D

Breakfast: Julie, Sunrise, Fruit Cocktail, Zill Indochinese

Today's Julie had less blush than the prior and I decided to flow with it.  Funny though, it was even more ripe.  Still juicy and flavorful, now I may have to do a Sheehan and eat the next one green.  Julie's ripeness is known to apex without a few hours, finicky.  At today's stage it goes a bit grainy, less dense.  Still fab though.

Sunrise was less wonderful than I recall.  Still good but perhaps chilled for more than a week wasn't fair.

Fruit Cocktail trailed behind sunrise.  Again, still dense, juicy and pleasant but didn't wow.

Zill Indochinese also endured a chilled week but still shined.  Dense, juicy and firm.  Nothing to fault here.

ZINC wins.

In the pipeline: Edgar, Jakarta, Ceci Love, Bombay

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2019, 05:23:25 PM »
Dinner: Julie, Carrie, Edgar, Sturrock, Super Alphonso

This Julie was even greener and...past its prime.  Taste was just ok.  Forget finicky.  These are ultra finicky on timing.  "You have to plan your day around a ripening Julie"

Carrie, less than stellar out of the fridge but didn't offend anybody.

Lovely speckled skin pattern and gorgeous inside.  Edgar was better tasting than Carrie, more to it, firmer, denser and slightly sweeter.

Sturrock was interesting.  Beautiful pink fruit.  Lighter flavor, decent sweetness but I perceived an astirngency near the skin.  not a good finish.

Super Alphonso joined the refrigerated (ex-Julie) lineup and also delivered a middle of the road performance.

Nothing horrible but also outstanding...6 mores days....it might be downhill from here...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2019, 03:33:35 PM »
Breakfast: Julie, Jakarta, Ceci Love, Bombay

Winding down for sure now...among the chilled (ex-Julie) crew, Ceci Love edged out the rest.  One Julie left now...

Upcoming: Langra Benarsi, Julie, ValCarrie, Ice Cream

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2019, 05:14:16 PM »
Dinner: Langra Benarsi, Julie, Ice Cream, ValCarrie

Langra Benarsi the a mango mango.  However, the fridge did her in. 

Julie was well under-ripe, even Sheehan may not have eaten it.  Took significant effort to slice and yet still, juicy inside.  Chalky stage, which works for me.

Ice Cream was also slightly under-ripe, one I attempted to preserve in the fridge.  Its creamy potential was there which at this game stage, i'll take.

ValCarrie emerged from the fridge with questions on her inner condition. She quickly answer revealing divine coloration and texture.  Silky sweetness was on target.  Its a wonderful mango.

VC wins.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2019, 01:24:13 PM »
Late Dinner Entry: Juliette

Similarity to Julie is readily apparent.  Green skinned refridgerates Juliette was...ok.

Breakfast: Harvest Moon, Maha Chanok, Sunrise, Ugly Betty, Mallika

Perhaps its my diminishing expectations but all of these tasted better than anticipated.  Mallika was in great form, the earthy complexity compensating for not being ultra sweet.  Ugly Betty was also in fine form.

Harvest Moon I actually just cut up to freeze.  If you've never seen one, its a monstrosity.  My scales measure it as 2.5 lbs but I think thanks off.  It could feed a family of 4 with spare change left.  Wasn't expecting much based on others commentary but I didn't find anything off with it.  Its a good mango to practise skinning on and from that, I also note the flesh near the skin entirely palatable. 

Still to go Maha Chanok, Sunrise, Bombay, Edgar and a few others.

With an emptying fridge, Merritt Island visit is now on the cards...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2019, 12:03:20 PM »
Maybe its just my low expectations.

Dinner: White Pirie. Bombay, Maha Chanok

White Pirie was excellent, syrupy sweet and delightful.

Bombay was not nearly as good, but ok.

Maha was spot on.

White Pirie wins.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
On the homestretch.

D10, Maha Chanok, Sunrise, Duncan, Edgar

Can someone remind me not to buy even one Duncan next year?

Its one of those I try from time to time to determine if memory serves me and...at first I thought it was the skin making it bitter but even avoiding it failed.

Moving along.

D10 is a monstrosity picked up from Walter Zill.  New to me, tts nearly Harvest Moon sized mango madness.  Texture wasn't firm though, fridge could be blamed, middle of the road flavor.  Pretty in pink.

Maha also rocked the pink blush, packaging floral notes.  Beauty.

Edgar was also in pink blush mode but on this day here flavor profile was outshone by Maha.

Maha wins.

Only one Mallika and a few Sunrise left.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »
Maybe its just my low expectations.

Dinner: White Pirie. Bombay, Maha Chanok

White Pirie was excellent, syrupy sweet and delightful.

Bombay was not nearly as good, but ok.

Maha was spot on.

White Pirie wins.

I ate my first two White Piri this morning .... in - cred - i - ble!! The 3 best mangos I ate this season was Sugarloaf, Super Julie and a particularly excellent Lemon Zest. I have had many others that were excellent this season (Peach Cobbler, ST Maui, Sweet Tart, Sunrise all come to mind) but these 3 were the standouts. Now I have to add White Piri to the list. So good. Very sweet and spicy, just a little resin to balance it out. So unbelieveably good.
- Mark

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2019, 07:17:37 PM »
And then there were two.

Mallika and Sunrise went heat to head and Mallika won.  Rich and sweet is a treat.

Met Toppy at Merritt Island today and picked up a few Carrie plus an unnamed variety to last until Thursday.

My friend loaded up on Haden, Beverly, Kent, Carrie, Zill...and Tommy.

Was great to meet Josie and her Carrie seedling...maybe to be named Josie if it survives the taste test.

Also swung my Jerry Hunts and she picked up some odds and ends.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2019, 10:31:38 PM »
Gaylour, cultivated "3,000 years" ago in Egypt?!.... and on the far side of the moon!
Har

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2019, 11:41:06 PM »
White Piri is pretty amazing.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2019, 05:40:34 PM »
Gaylour, cultivated "3,000 years" ago in Egypt?!.... and on the far side of the moon!

The Doc loves to talk. No idea where he got that reference from. And per Alex, it’s definitely monoembryonic so...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2019, 05:42:58 PM »
Merritt Island purchased Carrie and unknown variety bring an epic summer event to its close.

Well, maybe a frozen Pineapple Pleasure and Cotton Candy mango smoothie bowl will tomorrow morning...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »
So I dug our 2018 frozen Cotton Candy, Lemon Zest, PPK.
Blend.
Eat.
Mango smoothie bowl delight.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »
So we’ve officially come to our conclusion.

I’ll recap and countdown the top 10 for 2019, soon.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2019, 09:48:11 PM »

Can’t wait!
John

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2019, 11:13:18 AM »

And the conclusion is?
Please post your top 20 mangoes.
Thx!
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2019, 12:24:50 PM »
No Cotton Candy this year?
John