Author Topic: Keeping my trees small  (Read 913 times)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Keeping my trees small
« on: July 13, 2019, 09:05:07 PM »
I aggressively prune to keep my trees small enough to cover in winter. My trees are 10 years old and this is the normal post harvest pruning.

Emperor lychee

Manilita mango - apparently I was too busy eating mangos to remember to take a pic of the tree when it had fruit / well here is bloom and post harvest prune - it produced around 100 mangos this year.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping my trees small
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 09:34:09 PM »
Nice!  It is just me or are your lychees huge!

Do you ever have problems with anthracnose, mealybugs, or tree ants?  I would  also be worried about fungal rot near stump, since so well shaded.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping my trees small
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 10:05:03 PM »
Emperor lychees are bigger - although they have a large seed so the amount of flesh is probably similar to other varieties with a smaller seed. But I love them and they look pretty!

The lychee is the easiest care tree I have - remarkably disease free. Hard to tell in today's cloudy weather- but it is in full sun which probably helps. The only issue is occasional nutrient deficiencies because of my sand soil if I forget to fertilize. When the spring is damp the mangos will get powdery mildew and sometimes anthracnose.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk