Author Topic: Will my Hasya Sapodilla tree survive?  (Read 1615 times)

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
Will my Hasya Sapodilla tree survive?
« on: January 22, 2020, 03:32:16 PM »
I bought this Hasya sapodilla in February last year and planted it in the ground in September. About a month back, I noticed the bark on one section was missing. It is about a foot away from the graft.  Don't know how or when it happened. Is this tree going to survive?

I also have a Nules Clementine with a similar issue, except the bark has peeled almost all around the trunk (looks much worse than this) but it has a bunch of new leaves coming in.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Will my Hasya Sapodilla tree survive?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 03:43:46 PM »

This is unrelated to your question, but is there any particular reason why you picked Hasya? I had a Hasya in the ground for 7 years.  It gave me 5 fruits. I yanked it a couple of weeks ago. There are others on the forum who have also found the Hasya unproductive.

I like the Morena. The  fruit size is comparable to the Hasya and it is a much better producer. 

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 05:44:58 PM »
It looks like it healed. It will be fine.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 05:59:27 PM »
I have a Haysa and 3 other types of sapodillas. Mt haysa is under 10 feet
and I harvested 30 medium sized fruit the last month and have several smaller
sized fruit on the tree now that will ripen later this Spring. I am glad to get fruit
now my Morena, Silas Woods and makok all have small unripe fruit now.

Your tree looks like it has green leaves and should be OK. It should be dormant now.
In the picture I don't see the graft union. Is it closer to the ground or was it the scar
on the tree? The problem I am having is the trees are snapping branches from too
much fruit. You might want to keep the tree staked and taped it in several places
with all this wind

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 06:40:39 PM »
Tree looks fine to me, wound will heal more over time, tree looks like it was inarched/approach grafted.

-Joe

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 08:53:07 PM »
Is there a lot of difference between sapodilla cultivars?  I have had a few from different areas, not sure what types, and they were all too sickly-sweet for me.  So many people love them that I wonder if I am missing something, I think they taste like pure sugar.   I love all the other sapotes I've tried.

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 10:13:30 PM »
I could have sworn I had posted a reply to all of you months ago but I don't see it anymore.
Anyway, a couple of weeks after I had posted my original post, we had a particularly windy day and the tree snapped in half below the damaged area shown in the earlier picture. It was literally attached by just a tiny bit of bark. I was going to dig it up and throw it away but decided to experiment with it instead. I superglued the two halves together and then taped it up. I also used a stake almost like a splint to give it some more support. I then basically just ignored it thinking it was going to die anyway.

On a trip to Miami in early March, I picked up a Hasya at PIN. Then headed to Lara Farms to pick up a Makok and saw a really nice Hasya there, so bought that one, too.
Well, by mid -March my superglued Hasya was sending out new leaves and soon after that it started flowering. It has been flowering ever since. No fruit set because this tree is tiny but lots and lots of flowers. I have no idea how this thing is alive, let alone thriving!

Mangokothiyan - I wanted two sapodilla cultivars and after reading through the forum, Alano and Hasya seemed to be the most popular. On a trip to PIN, I got a chance to taste a Hasya and I was sold. They did not have any sapodilla trees for sale at the time, so I bought it from Mike Bender.
Out of curiosity, is kothiyan a malayalam word?

Tommyng, JoeP450 - Thank-you.

Acheta - You were right about the wind, I should have taken your advice and taped the tree to a stake in a few places. Instead, I waited till it broke in half before I did that! 
You can just barely see the graft all the way at the bottom of picture 2.

Brian - All I know about the various cultivars is what I have read on this forum. But, I have yet to taste a variety that I don't like. I usually don't like extremely sweet fruits but I make an exception for sapodillas.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 10:00:55 AM »

Yes, it is. It means someone who cannot have enough of mangoes ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 01:12:26 PM by mangokothiyan »

quesofreshcoh

• Sanford FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 05:47:53 PM »
I've had a Hasya for 4 years in the ground. It hasn't fruited at all and I have the same issue you have. I believe Hasya is a poor choice for our area, because it just grows a ton of suckers in my experience and doesn't grow well. It's tragic because they're supposedly a delicious fruit. I think I am going to pull it and plant an Alano Sap. or a Jaboticaba instead. It flowers profusely and just doesn't produce :(
-Gabe

quesofreshcoh

• Sanford FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 05:49:14 PM »

This is unrelated to your question, but is there any particular reason why you picked Hasya? I had a Hasya in the ground for 7 years.  It gave me 5 fruits. I yanked it a couple of weeks ago. There are others on the forum who have also found the Hasya unproductive.

I like the Morena. The  fruit size is comparable to the Hasya and it is a much better producer.

Mine has been in the ground for nearly 4 years and no fruit. I am getting so frustrated since most of it is suckers anyway. I think I am gonna pull it and plant an Alano instead, or scrap the Sap and plant a Jaboticaba or something. It's very sad because I was looking forward to it.
-Gabe

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 06:05:02 PM »
In fairness, I was one of the people with a thread on my hasya's unproductivity.

At this point, I would say my tree is relatively productive. We have been getting a fair number of huge sapodillas and, more importantly, thry are absolutrly delicious. I only have Alano to compare it to. Our Alano is 100× more productive, but the taste of the Hasya is probably 10x more enjoyable (hard to describe but texture is different too). all in all, the hasya has been worth it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk