Author Topic: My review of nurseries I have visited.  (Read 3745 times)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
My review of nurseries I have visited.
« on: July 29, 2020, 08:32:10 PM »
This is my review of my visits to Several East Coast and West Coast tropical fruit nurseries. First I’ll cover the general differences between East Coast and West Coast Nurseries then I’ll discuss each nursery. The nurseries I will review are:
East Coast-
Excalibur
Pine Island
A Natural Farm
Florida Nursery Mart
Crowleys
Green Jungle
Top Tropical
Pokey’s
Edible Landscaping
Fruitscapes
West Coast-
Bob Wells
Exotica
Clausen
Mimosa
Champa
Shamus O’leary
A Tropical Concept

So, what’s the difference between East Coast and West Coast nurseries?
The first thing you will notice is price. On the west coast they put 3 gal trees in 5 gal pots and charge 5 gal prices. In general, you are going to get a lot bigger tree on the East coast for a lot less money. Trees on the East coast tend to be more of what you would find in the Caribbean and what is popular with the Caribbean communities. Trees on the West coast tend t to be more of what you would find in Asia/Mexico and what is popular with the Asian/Mexican communities.  What does that mean? There are more named varieties of some fruits on either coast. Some types of plants are easier to find on one coast than the other. I found several varieties of wax/rose apple and guava on the west coast. I also found that white Sapote varieties were more abundant on the west coast. Overall, whatever is popular is available popular on both coasts.  There is plenty of citrus, mangoes, guavas, tropical cherries, and sapodillas on both coasts.
One last thing. Although I refer to all the places as “nurseries” most of them are plant resellers so they are not doing any grafting on site or growing anything from seed to sale.
East Coast-
Excalibur
The property
This a big property with a large variety of tropical and subtropicals. Just about anything you can think of has been on this property at one time.
The staff
 The staff is pretty knowledgeable. The owner’s wife can be nasty. One visit she is fine the next visit she is short and mean especially when her staff makes a mistake. 
The website
Like almost every place I visited the website does not have a correct current inventory. The other issue is if you call the staff will not always give you correct information about the inventory. You might be greeted with a terse reply if you say, “I just called an hour ago and asked if you had X and so and so said you did.” See the comment above in the staff section.
Prices
Prices there are on par with Florida prices
Quality
Usually on par with most other sellers in terms of size and health. One issue I have had with their plants is fungus, scale and fire ants. If you get a plant from them repot it immediately and do an anti-fungal and insecticide spray. I would say this is good general advice but especially from them. Your experience may differ.

Pine Island
The property
This is another big property with a large variety of tropical and subtropicals. This is the first nursery I ever visited and purchased from. It used to have just about anything you can think of. Even some unusual stuff. Now not so much.
The staff
The staff is pretty knowledgeable.
The website
The website does not have a correct current inventory. If you call the staff does give you correct information about the inventory. The issue might be that they can’t tell you when something you want will be in. Unfortunately, this applies to almost everyone else too.
Prices
Quality
Usually on par with most other sellers in terms of size and health.

A Natural Farm
The property
This is a small/medium property with a variety of tropical and subtropicals. It well organized so you can come in and walk around and find/discover what you want on your own. The staff and owner treat you like a relative. What can I say?  The place is well organized and they have several not fruit edibles on site. Topi tambo, ginger, turmeric, greens, they got them.
The staff
The website
The website does not have a correct current inventory. Close very close. I have never called about a plant so can’t tell you if they do a good job or not.
Prices
Quality
Usually on par with most other sellers in terms of size and health. Maybe a little healthier.

Florida Nursery Mart
The property
This is a small/medium property with a variety of tropical and subtropicals. It well organized so you can come in and walk around and find/discover what you want on your own. The staff is young and willing to help if you need it and polite.    The place also has not fruit edibles on site. Peppers, tomatoes, greens, they got them.
The staff
The website
The website does not have a correct current inventory. I have never called about a plant so can’t tell you if they do a good job or not.
Prices
Hands down beats everybody on price. Why? See below.
Quality
In terms of health and size they usually have big health plants. Many of their 3 gals look like other peoples 5 gals. Maybe a little healthier. If you are looking for something common like guavas, mangos, etc. they usually can’t be beat.

Crowleys
This is a small/medium property. At the time of my visit they had a variety of  tropical and subtropical fruits and some floral specimens too.
The staff
The staff is pretty knowledgeable (it was Mrs. Crowley when I was there). She was really nice. I unfortunately left a bag with my lunch on her property after my purchase. I hope she doesn’t think I was dumping trash. Oops.
The website
I have never checked out their website so I can’t comment.
Prices
Prices on par with other Florida nursery’s maybe a little higher.
Quality
Good quality plants are found there.

Green Jungle

This is a small/medium property with a variety of tropical and subtropicals. It’s well organized and everything is clearly marked. The owner is the staff. Bob Hopper is great to work with and he knows what is on his property. Last time I was there it was closed for covid. I hope Bob is alright. He is an older gentleman but super spry.
The staff
The Bob (the owner) is knowledgeable. Great guy.
The website
I have never checked out their website so I can’t comment.
Prices
Prices on par with other Florida nursery’s. Usually better.
Quality
Bob sells big healthy plants. Some 3 gals look like other people’s 7 gals. Really.

Top Tropicals
This is a medium property with a variety of tropical and subtropicals and some unusual stuff. I didn’t really walk around so I can’t speak to it’s organization. They seem to specialize in some things that you won’t find anywhere else. The first time I visited them they were in Punta Gorda. That was a long time ago. Now they are farther north.
The staff
The staff is pretty knowledgeable. I think the guy who runs it is…. Russian?
The website
The website is extensive but not reflective of what they sell. It is however one of the easiest to access resources for tropical plants with pictures on the web that I have found.
Prices
Prices seemed high to me. Almost west coast level maybe higher. I need to visit again.
Quality
I didn’t buy enough stuff to give them a fair assessment. I didn’t buy any of the common stuff and what I did buy was too exotic to be categorized because I have nothing to compare it to.

Pokey’s

The property
This is small/medium property with a variety of tropical and subtropicals. It well organized so you can come in and walk around and find/discover what you want on your own. The staff is young and willing to help if you need it and polite.    The place also has non fruit edibles on site. Peppers, tomatoes….they got them.
The staff
The staff is pretty knowledgeable. Pokey is there sometimes and he is a pretty good joke and story teller.
The website
The website does not have a correct current inventory. I have never called about a plant so can’t tell you if they do a good job or not.
Prices
Pretty good and on par with Florida prices except for their avocados which are a little high. They probably have the best avocado selection of any place I have been to though so… still think their prices are high but you can get the cold tolerant avocados there and I couldn’t find that stuff anywhere else.
Quality
In terms of health and size they have healthy plants. I like him. He is an honest dealer.
Edible Landscaping
If you are in the Mideast region, as far as I know these are the only people in business doing anything close to the Tropical trade and they do mail order. This is a medium/large property with a variety of subtropicals but don’t expect a lot (i.e. no mangoes, only cold tolerant guavas (pineapple guava).  They used to have tropical guavas for mail order years ago as well as some sweet citrus varieties.  Now they just don’t have them. But they can get them for you if you really want them. It is well organized so you can come in and walk around and find/discover what you want on your own I don’t think they sell tomatoes or peppers or anything like that. I could be wrong.
The staff
The staff is definitely willing to help if you need it and they are polite and super knowledgeable about what they have and how to care for it. Actually, they are great. They helped me get some Texas persimmon plants so they can probably get you anything you want if you ask in advance of prime selling season or at least point you in the right direction.
The website
The website does not have a correct current inventory but it is close and maybe the closest to being perfectly accurate. Every time I have called about a plant they knew if it was in or not and when it would be available.
Prices
A little on the high side but they are the only suppliers of what they sell in my region and they the sell good stuff. I would say they are definitely fair.
Quality
In terms of health and size they usually have big healthy plants.

Fruitscapes
The property
This a big property with a large variety of tropical and subtropicals. According to the guy who helped me they have everything but they didn't have everything the day I was there but they did have what I was looking for which was purple caimitos. They seem to also be a fruit seller and there was a lot of stuff on the tables. I would have gone on a fruit buying rampage but I was there for fruit tree hunting not eating.
***side note**** I  shopped at Florida Nursery Mart Excalibur and Jene's on this trip 08-20 that's why comments  about them are included in this section.

I had just left Excalibur about 2 and half hours earlier.  Excalibur had a lot of fruit for sell too; big canistels, lots of sapodillas etc. I snagged a loquat tree that I never heard of before called Ray's Fav at Florida Nursery Mart earlier that day that was way too expensive. Had to get it even though it looked like a tall 1 gal in a 7 gal container.
The staff
The staff I met was a lady with glasses who was selling fruit and a tall young guy who said he also updates the website and another lady who is one of the owner's wife. I also believe I spoke with one of the owners. Looked like he was around 45. If I am correct then him and his wife were helpful and polite.
The website
Like almost every place I visited the website does not have a correct current inventory. According to the tall guy who helped me if he spent time updating the website he wouldn't have time to work at the nursery. That tells me they have a lot of stuff and you need to know what you want and call ahead. I called two months in advance and I was told that caimitos would be ready in August. I called again one month in advance and I was told that caimitos would be ready in August. I called a week before I arrived and they said they were ready in 7 gal. When I got there they were ready. I rolled the dice and was lucky and I also found the 7 gal Silas woods and a 7 gal Makok which I was going to buy at Excalibur but they didn't have. I also got a ross sapote and a canistel called F2 plus I scooped up a Smathers white Saopote. I was hoping for Younghans. I suppose I will eventually find it.
Prices
Quality
In terms of size I'm going to say they were a little on the small side. You know that 3 gal to 7 gal transition size that you are happy to get for 3 gal price and a little disappointed at 7 gal price?  In terms of health the plants all seemed healthy except for the white sapote that seemed a little sun burnt. If it was raised in full sun bravo. That means I won't have to baby it, so it's not a knock its just an observation. Also there was some black sooty stuff on the leaves of one the sapodillas. I will hit it with some copper then some neem and hope for the best.

West Coast-

Bob Wells

The property
This is a medium property with a variety of tropical and subtropicals. It well organized so you can come in and walk around and find/discover what you want on your own. The staff is young and willing to help if you need it and polite.    Lots of citrus here and they ship everything except citrus.
The staff
The website
The website does not have a correct current inventory but it’s very, very, close. There was only one thing that I couldn’t find so they seem to be pretty current. If you call they will tell you what they have and what it costs.
Prices
On par with other West Coast prices.
Quality
In terms of health and size they usually have bigger than west coast average plants plants. 

Exotica
The property
This is a medium/large property with a variety of tropical and subtropicals. I can’t call it well organized but you can come in and walk around and find/discover what you want on your own. I heard about it from a YouTube mention. It was kind of overhyped to be honest. The place is not terrible. It’s just not so good that it should be oohed and awed over.
The staff
The website
The website does not have a correct current inventory. If you call you may or may not get someone to answer. They don’t seem to know much about their inventory. That said they have a lot of stuff.
Prices
On par with other West Coast prices; maybe a little higher. It did have somethings that I didn’t find at other places like an Australian beach cherry. How often they replenish their inventory of the special things I can’t comment on.
Quality
The plants seem healthy but they are small for the price. They were willing to sell really small plants in the 1 gal size that would not be available for sell at other nurseries and they sell them at lower prices and the prices for those are fair.

Clausen
The property
This is a medium/large property. Right around the corner from Exotica. I think they specialize in citrus because there was a lot there. I can’t call it well organized since I came for few specific things and they were right up front so I didn’t walk the property. The staff is willing to help if you need it and polite.
The staff
The website
The website does not have a correct current inventory. The first time I went they had what I wanted except for the “Egyptian guava”. The second time I went they didn’t have the guava or the Indio mandarinquat I was looking for. If you call you will get an answer and they seem to know what is on site.
Prices
On par with other West Coast prices.
Quality
They have good plants and the white sapotes I got were healthy although unnamed cultivars.

Mimosa
The property
This is a medium/large property with a variety of tropical and subtropicals. I can’t call it well organized but you can come in and walk around and find/discover what you want on your own. Lot’s of the labels were hand written. To be honest the inventory was kind of sparse. They did have many named varieties of wax apple. You really can’t find named varieties on the East coast in my experience. There were several named varieties of Atemoya and Cherimoya and Sugar apple. I don’t know how often there have things in stock because I only visited once. I don’t remember seeing any citrus.  The place in the middle of  the most Chines ethnic neighborhood I have ever seen. All the signs were in Chinese and English. That’s right… Chinese first then English.  It is the only place in America that I ever went to that had Cathay Bank ATM’s. To be honest I wish I had skipped Exotica and Clausen’s and went there first. Real Chinese food was there not the fake stuff you usually get but I digress
The staff
The staff was one old Asian man who seemed like he didn’t have time to talk or explain much of anything. The guy was almost comical in his curmudgeoness. He was kinda rude and dismissive but it wasn’t racial since I saw him treat every body that way. To the Vietnamese woman who spoke to him in Vietnamese he said in the thickest Chinese accent, “Hey, I’m Chinese I don’t speak your language. Speak English!” To a Chinese customer I heard him say, “You don’t know what you want. Come back when you decide. If you don’t see it, I don’t have it!”
They don’t take credit cards like every other place I visited. I told the guy I had to go to the ATM and when I returned 15 min later. However, he did open the gate to sell me the plants I had picked out. All that said don’t expect much customer service.
The website
The website does not have a correct current inventory. If you call you may or may not get someone to answer. They don’t seem to know much about their inventory.
Prices
On par with other West Coast prices; maybe a little higher. It did have somethings that I didn’t find at other places like named varieties I called out above.
Quality
The plants seem healthy but they are small for the price.

Champa
The property
This is a small property with a variety of tropical and subtropicals. It was pretty well organized. It’s small enough you can walk around and see what you want.  They have all the usual suspects in terms of tropical fruit. I don’t remember seeing any citrus.  The place in the middle of a very Asian community so I think that influences what they have much like Mimosa. This is the only place I went to that had Canistel (Bruce and I got the last one) , green sapotes and mamey sapote. I would have got the green sapote but they wanted  $75 for a plant that was barely a 3 gal. Most of the stuff I would have really wanted was not in stock. There is a video on youtube that shows a place called Champa that looks full of plants. It didn’t look like that when I went there.
The staff
The staff was one guy who was watering the plants. He seemed occupied but willing to help.
The website
The website does not have a correct current inventory. I didn’t call so I can’t tell you how reliable they are.
Prices
The prices seemed high. It did have somethings that I didn’t find at other places like the pouterias I called out above.
Quality
The plants seem healthy but they are small for the price.

Shamus O’leary
The property
This is a small/medium property with a variety of tropical and subtropicals. It is well organized so you can come in and walk around and find/discover what you want on your own. The staff When I got there was one young guy with glasses and another guy watering plants. The one bad thing I would have to say about this place is my godson went there and he had a negative experience. Basically, he was charged an additional $20 for help with to puttting a white sapote in a box that he had brought himself. I have shopped plenty of places but I was never charged for anything like this. He was there shopping for a gift asked the lady for help she points him to the 3 gal white sapotes helps him pick one out then rings up the plant. She gave him two small chicos to taste. The lady never told him there was a charge for this and he just swiped his card thinking “she said the plant costs X amount so this is what I must pay”. Turns out I had bought the exact 3 gal pot size Redland sapote for $20 less a week earlier.
The staff
The staff was one guy who was watering the plants. He seemed occupied but willing to help.
The website
The website for the most part seemed up to date.
Prices
The prices seemed high. It did have somethings that I didn’t find at other places but not a lot of choice on variety.
Quality
The plants seem healthy but they are small for the price even compared to other West Coast places.

A Tropical Concept

The property
This is a very small property with not much. It was totally unorganized. It’s basically a small parking car lot. It’s small enough you can see everything when you drive up. 
The staff
The staff was one guy and I assume his wife. They both looked pretty scruffy. He quite talkative and willing to help. Gotta give them struggle points. I will visit and buy there every time I visit Phoenix if for no other reason that the guy is trying so he must love it.
The website
I didn’t look so I don’t know
Prices
The prices seemed high for what he had. He cut me a deal so I bought a tree.
Quality
The plants seem healthy to be out in full sun. Nobody else I visited on the west was doing full sun except  Mimosa. I bought a mango tree that got confiscated at the California border. Yes I am salty. Now I have another reason to visit the guy again.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:39:44 PM by CarolinaZone »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: My review of nurseries I have visited.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 09:39:38 PM »
Very impressive.  Quite a lot of information!  You're one helluva of a road warrior besides being a passionate gardener.  All the way from North Carolina to California?  Yikes!  Do you think you might be able to edit (modify) to include the location (city) of each nursery?  That's the one thing I noticed was missing.  Regarding Excalibur, I've been told that they do all their own grafting.  (Your comment about Linda Wilson was funny but true.)  Sorry to report that the owner of Green Jungle, Bob, did in fact pass away from covid-19.  He wasn't that old, going on 71.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:39:41 AM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 10:43:31 PM »
Very impressive.  Quite a lot of information!  So you've driven all the way to California from North Carolina just to purchase plants and trees?  Do you think you might be able to go back and edit to include the location (city) of each nursery?  That's the one thing I noticed that was missing.  Regarding Excalibur, I've been told that they do all their own grafting.  (Your comment about Linda Wilson was funny but true.)  Sorry to report that the owner of Green Jungle, Bob, did in fact pass away from covid-19.  He wasn't that old, just under 71.
No! I sent one of my co-works there I think in march. He said Bob was very paranoid and cautious about covid so i assumed he was ok but was still concerned because i have called there several times and got a recording with a young guys voice saying closed because of covid-19. Dang it i got my pickering from him :( He was on Goldenrod Rd in Orlando 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 10:54:38 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

BoBiscuit

• Ventura, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 12:54:03 AM »
Mimosa has two locations. It sounds like you visited the Rosemead location, but I believe their main business is in East LA. The East LA property had a great inventory when I visited back in February to buy a lychee tree. The gentleman who helped me was very friendly and took the time to answer all of my questions. They also accepted credit cards. Crazy that the two locations are so different.

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 01:47:39 AM »
Mimosa has two locations. It sounds like you visited the Rosemead location, but I believe their main business is in East LA. The East LA property had a great inventory when I visited back in February to buy a lychee tree. The gentleman who helped me was very friendly and took the time to answer all of my questions. They also accepted credit cards. Crazy that the two locations are so different.

Mimosa has a third location in Anaheim as well. That location is better organized and it is easier to get help but their prices are higher than East LA location.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 10:35:22 AM »
In eastern Florida, I think you will find the best prices at Trees-N-More, rural Martin County.
Har

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 10:38:21 AM »
In eastern Florida, I think you will find the best prices at Trees-N-More, rural Martin County.
Good information.  Thanks!
John

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 01:14:32 PM »
Great nursery reviews! Be mindful that Top Tropicals is now in Ft Myers, which is south of Punta Gorda.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 06:42:40 PM »
Thanks for the write-up on these nurseries!  I've been wanting to hit the San Diego ones, but haven't had a chance yet.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 09:08:55 PM »
Very impressive.  Quite a lot of information!  You're one helluva of a road warrior besides being a passionate gardener.  All the way from North Carolina to California?  Yikes!  Do you think you might be able to edit (modify) to include the location (city) of each nursery?  That's the one thing I noticed was missing.  Regarding Excalibur, I've been told that they do all their own grafting.  (Your comment about Linda Wilson was funny but true.)  Sorry to report that the owner of Green Jungle, Bob, did in fact pass away from covid-19.  He wasn't that old, going on 71.
Thanks for your reply. I am so sad that Bob passed away. I really liked that guy. I hope whoever continues his work will offer the same quality and service. I will add the locations at another time.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 09:12:47 PM »
I thought I saw two locations on the GPS and I picked the closest one. Next trip out will be to the East LA location then Ong in San Diego. Thanks for the info.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 07:18:17 AM »
Thanks, I think many or most nurseries have the problems you noted at one time or another.

Web stock vs. on hand is a biggie, a call is generally a good idea before going. At larger the nurseries rare is the occasion where trees in pots are weeded, and pest free.  I've seen the pot size issue also here in Florida, the re-pot time to a larger pot is typical when a 3 moves to a 5 gallon and it looks like you're being hosed. IMO it's likely not that, but at some point trees have to be moved and the physical size may look smaller than you expect.   

Regarding Excalibur, I've found their employees (I don't spend much time at checkout) are very helpful in person and have spent more than a bit of time in their golf carts. I'm maybe 40 miles (one way) from there, and I wish I could get there more often. Oh, my trees LOVE their fertilizer.
Regards,

Gary

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 07:40:16 AM »
Nice write ups. So when are you going to show us the greenhouse you put all your plants in?

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 09:18:16 AM »
@JohnB- Wait, Bob died? My coworkers and I were wondering when he was going to reopen and never has. He was a great guy and always called me Dave(my name is Mike) and we would have long conversations about various trees, he joked about selling me the place a couple years ago. Further, that's a major blow to fruit tree growers in the area seeing as now we really don't have a source for decently priced trees, some of my friends out in my neighborhood would spend literally thousands on trees because he would make really good deals if you were friends with him and/or bought in bulk. There's Nicks and Lucas but both are fairly or extremely overpriced(Lucas). I wonder if the nursery center down the street is going to start carrying fruit trees now, they had a friendly agreement with Bob to not step on each others toes when it came to inventory.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 09:57:57 AM »
@JohnB- Wait, Bob died? My coworkers and I were wondering when he was going to reopen and never has. He was a great guy and always called me Dave(my name is Mike) and we would have long conversations about various trees, he joked about selling me the place a couple years ago. Further, that's a major blow to fruit tree growers in the area seeing as now we really don't have a source for decently priced trees, some of my friends out in my neighborhood would spend literally thousands on trees because he would make really good deals if you were friends with him and/or bought in bulk. There's Nicks and Lucas but both are fairly or extremely overpriced(Lucas). I wonder if the nursery center down the street is going to start carrying fruit trees now, they had a friendly agreement with Bob to not step on each others toes when it came to inventory.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=39556.msg396593#msg396593
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 02:06:09 PM »
Nice write ups. So when are you going to show us the greenhouse you put all your plants in?
I agree

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2020, 09:18:16 PM »
Soon, my friend. Right now everything is out in the open.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:35:52 AM by CarolinaZone »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 08:30:19 AM »
Soon, my friend. Right now everything is out in the open.
Now you're just speaking in Riddles and Rhymes are you talking about Lukas's off of Sullivan Road they've always had Mango's avocados Persimmons the other two mentioned work off Facebook Marketplace and there's our kids Nursery Works off of Craigslist. Bob had 15 gallon mango trees at a very reasonable price the same as you would get in South Florida. If there's is another Nursery just tell us the name!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:35:59 AM by bovine421 »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 02:21:29 PM »
I think he meant to respond to forumfool's question about his greenhouse with that answer.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:54:11 AM by johnb51 »
John

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 09:34:27 AM »
I think he meant to respond to forumfool's question about his greenhouse with that answer.
Yep. My Mistake. I just noticed it and I will make an edit if possible.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 10:24:28 AM »
Oh I’ll take pics of what’s outside. I’m curious what tropicals are giving you some enjoyable fruits I’m in similar climate to you.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 11:09:21 AM »
Also how big is your greenhouse?

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 12:31:33 PM »
Oh I’ll take pics of what’s outside. I’m curious what tropicals are giving you some enjoyable fruits I’m in similar climate to you.
To be honest nothing has fruited........

other than:
my Jaboticaba which is about 7 years old and purchased from Excalibur. I purchased a 7 gal and a big 3 gal the next year which looked like the 7 gal when I purchased it. I also have a yellow jaboticaba that I purchased as a 7 gal that has never fruited. These live in 15 gal pots.

My Barbados cherries have all fruited. These are my last purchases from Bob Hopper(rip). All are about 3 years old. All were purchased and fruited at 3 gal (they looked like 7 gal when I got them from Bob).

My 7 gal Surinam Cherries have lightly fruited. I don't like the flavor of the red or the black.  They are both about 8 ft tall in california style nursery pots. I'm going to sacrifice them and try to top work them even though I paid $100
for them at Tropical Oasis farms. It wasn't an oasis and it wasn't a farm. I didn't include them in my reviews because the place the guy took me to was just a house with some trees. I was highly disappointed. I think he was trying to get rid of some unproductive trees since his main business seems to be selling date palms. He has to step his game way up before I would deal with him again.

All my tropical guava's have fruited.  They take the most abuse and get the least water and they have made it. I have a mixture but they are all planted in 3-5gal pots regardless of height. Every Ruby supreme I have had I have killed though.  You tell me??? My guavas come from various places but my red Malaysians are from two home depots in San Diego or Vista CA.

I purchased 3 Strawberry guavas that turned out to be lemon guavas from Pokey's in April that had fruit on them this year. I purchased them as big(tall and spindly) 3 gal and up sized to 7's. Two other specimens I have are my in ground strawberry guavas that got killed to the ground last October in the cold snap but came back. The roots survived under the 1 foot layer of wood mulch in the bed. I believe if I had covered them that night they would not have been damaged. They were sacrifices to my zone pushing experiment. I will cover them this year and provide supplemental heat. I purchased those from Crowley's and I have a strawberry and a lemon from Bob. This years sacrifice will be covered white sapote from Clausen's, and Orange frost and arctic frost from Bob Wells.

My Sapodilla in 15 gal is flowering. I bought that from Excalibur and purchased it as a 3 gal 3 years ago.

My Florida Home depot Papaya always flowers and always fruits. It is two years old.

My miracle fruit (4) always fruits. I have had them about 4 years in 3 gals. The one I bought from A Natural farm defoliated but came back. The other three I got from (1)Florida Nursery mart and (2)Pine Island.
That's all I can think of right now.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 12:38:38 PM by CarolinaZone »

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 01:48:29 PM »
Thanks for the report. Yeah those typically are some of the best to fruit in containers, other than citrus which you have not mentioned. You might enjoy this guys posts from 7b:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1670

There are a couple of threads too on what people have in greenhouses, can't find them right now. One day I will build a greenhouse. I have a great spot in front of house (southfacing) to do a lean to style only thing stopping me is my wife I will win though eventually...

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 04:04:47 PM »
Thanks for the report. Yeah those typically are some of the best to fruit in containers, other than citrus which you have not mentioned. You might enjoy this guys posts from 7b:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1670

There are a couple of threads too on what people have in greenhouses, can't find them right now. One day I will build a greenhouse. I have a great spot in front of house (southfacing) to do a lean to style only thing stopping me is my wife I will win though eventually...
I just remembered. Pitomba has fruited for me since it's second year. I have two and bought one from Excalibur and I bought one from...I can't remember. Both were purchased as 3 gal and repotted as  7 gal.

I have had  killed several carambolas that would flower profusely and not produce much. I haven't seen a flower on any of my carambolas this year.