Author Topic: Mulberry plants and sun . . .  (Read 1409 times)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Mulberry plants and sun . . .
« on: September 23, 2018, 10:54:20 AM »
I have a number of mulberry bushes, and I really like them and their fruit. Just push a stick in the ground and in a year or so they're fruiting. Some are planted in full sun and others in partial shade, and I can't tell any difference in any them as far as growth and amount of fruit. But, I'm curious. All of my bushes grow away from the sun...some severely. I wonder why? Do some varieties (perhaps like my variety) prefer a lot of shade? I have tried to train them to grow like little trees but they quickly bend away from the sun. Weird!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:38:37 PM by Doug »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Mulberry plants and sun . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 02:50:43 PM »
Mulberries are really more of a zone 9 tree. The most tolerant variety for zone 10 is Pakistan mulberry.
(You can grow any mulberry variety in warmer areas, they just may not do as well)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 02:52:49 PM by SoCal2warm »

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 06:13:07 PM »
I'll be damn . . . I didn't think of that. Well, whatever variety I have fruits well. Thanks.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 09:09:38 PM »
Mulberries are really more of a zone 9 tree. The most tolerant variety for zone 10 is Pakistan mulberry.
(You can grow any mulberry variety in warmer areas, they just may not do as well)

This statement is so far from the truth.   Besides Pakistani, Austrailian  aka Green, Tice, Everbearing and East Coast all grow and produce very well in South Florida.
- Rob

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 01:56:17 PM »
depends on variety, not sure my variety in southern Thailand, but sunmers 36-38c, months without rain, thriving.   Very productive, since then have planted many more to provide shade to more desirable fruit tree saplings.  As far as just sticking in ground, very little luck unless in almost full shaded area.  Instead did 16" cuttings, dipped in antifungal solution and potted for two months first before planting.