Author Topic: Zill varieties.  (Read 8126 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Zill varieties.
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:23:32 PM »
I keep hearing of all the new great Zill varieties,  and in different threads you get some description here and a little there.  I know a few of the members here have experience or have first hand knowledge of all the new varieties. 

My request is that you folks "in the know"  list all the new varieties, and their traits,

Disease resistance
Vigor
Precocity
Tree growth
Fruit taste
Fruit firmness
Fruit size
fruit color when ripe
Shelf Life
And availability status.

This would be a good reference for anyone considering getting a new Zill  tree,  it could be started as a new thread.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Zill varieties.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 11:34:16 PM »
Dont mean to sound rude but thats a lot of typing when much or all has been previously written.  The other problem is besides my direct experiende with most varieties that have been topworked for upwards of 10 years onto 75 year old rootstock,  these varieties are only 4 years old max (since release ) so knowledge/information  from most people based on grafts onto seedling rootstock is limited at best.
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:46:15 PM »
Dont mean to sound rude but thats a lot of typing when much or all has been previously written.  The other problem is besides my direct experiende with most varieties that have been topworked for upwards of 10 years onto 75 year old rootstock,  these varieties are only 4 years old max (since release ) so knowledge/information  from most people based on grafts onto seedling rootstock is limited at best.

I understand that the newer varieties would have limited data,  and also understand, that there is information regarding these varieties,  the problem is its not that easily obtained,  and very difficult to make side by side comparisons,  If I do a search on Venus,  I might find some information in on thread on the taste, another thread on the availability,  and so on.

Anyway this was just an Idea, not like I expected just one person to do all that work,  just something that could be added to, in one thread by different people as time went on.   not much different than the "master mango list" except with just a bit more info, and just the new zill varieties.

The mango review thread is excellent example,  great location for anyone that wants to get an idea on what a mango may taste like.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 11:51:41 PM »
While the master mango list may be a good idea, its only good if the correct info is entered.

As for the mango review thread, guess its good if you are eating mangoes after taken a hit of acid...
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 09:41:10 AM »

C'mon, Rob.  Take one for the team!  :P
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 01:50:15 PM »

I understand that the newer varieties would have limited data,  and also understand, that there is information regarding these varieties,  the problem is its not that easily obtained,  and very difficult to make side by side comparisons,  If I do a search on Venus,  I might find some information in on thread on the taste, another thread on the availability,  and so on.

Anyway this was just an Idea, not like I expected just one person to do all that work,  just something that could be added to, in one thread by different people as time went on.   not much different than the "master mango list" except with just a bit more info, and just the new zill varieties.

The mango review thread is excellent example,  great location for anyone that wants to get an idea on what a mango may taste like.

Since the information is all already likely on the forum, why don't you take the time and compile one post with all of the information. It will be helpful for everyone.

spaceoak

• Zone 9b, North Orlando, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 04:25:52 PM »
Is this a good list of the new varieties developed and released by Zill HPP?

Ugly Betty, coconut cream, Peach Cobbler, Pineapple Pleasure, Sweet Tart, Harvest Moon, Lemon Zest, Pina Colada, Sunrise, Juicy Peach, Fruit Punch, lady's choice, Juliette.

Please do not quote this post.  This not meant to be exhaustive or correct on first try.  I will edit it and correct it as information is corrected.  That way we will avoid replicating misinformation.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:14:15 PM by spaceoak »

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 04:59:33 PM »
I don't think that orange sherbet or fruit punch have been released.

spaceoak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 06:13:53 PM »
ofdsurfer - You are right on Orange Sherbet.  Corrected.  I am confused on Fruit Punch.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 06:44:34 PM »
lady's choice is also in this batch IIRC, but it's an improved east indian so....yeah... :-\

~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

spaceoak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 08:15:58 PM »
Thank you.  Lady's choice is added.  I found an old post from Cookie Monster that also adds Juliette as a new release. 
lady's choice is also in this batch IIRC, but it's an improved east indian so....yeah... :-\

gpuccio

• Southwest Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 04:29:47 PM »
Orange Sherbert is available. I sourced scion and seed from grower here in SWFL. Fruit Punch also available... don't believe commercially though.

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 05:52:09 PM »
The orange sherbet I have had in SWFL this year were incredible. I would love to find someone with grafting material.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 10:48:35 PM »
The orange sherbet I have had in SWFL this year were incredible. I would love to find someone with grafting material.

Here we go again...   ::) ::)
- Rob

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 07:58:37 AM »
^what does that mean?

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 08:20:43 AM »

We asked about the Orange Sherbert fruit being sold at one fruit stand on pine island and were told it is PPK (lemon meringue).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:22:38 AM by geosulcata »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 08:29:43 AM »

We asked about the Orange Sherbert fruit being sold at one fruit stand on pine island and were told it is PPK (lemon meringue).

Yup. They are all likely Lemon Zest or PPK because Orange Sherbert trees were never sold to the public.

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 10:39:14 AM »
thanks for the clarification

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 10:42:26 AM »
'Fruit Punch' trees are being sold.  This is the first year of availability, and quantities are extremely limited.   

This is my new favorite.
Har

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 10:51:30 AM »
'Fruit Punch' trees are being sold.  This is the first year of availability, and quantities are extremely limited.   

This is my new favorite.

Yes but they were not being sold that long ago so this ebsy piter would have had them as long ago ag they had them pisted.  They are also in no condition to be shipped.  In addition,  the retail nurseries that have them are extremely limited at best.  If anybody "local" has interest,  please PM me.  No shipping available whatsoever.
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »

This is my new favorite.

Yes but they were not being sold that long ago so this ebsy piter would have had them as long ago ag they had them pisted.  They are also in no condition to be shipped.  In addition,  the retail nurseries that have them are extremely limited at best.  If anybody "local" has interest,  please PM me.  No shipping available whatsoever.

agreed.  Mine is too young (freshly grafted) to even plant out yet.  I agree with Har, definitely in the mix for my new favorite!
~Jeff

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 11:33:52 AM »

This is my new favorite.

Just curious, but what was your previous favorite :D .
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 09:21:53 AM »
"The mango in hand!"
Har

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 09:42:13 AM »

This is my new favorite.

I was lucky and happy to get my hands on one yesterday. Looking forward to harvesting some in a couple years.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 10:01:51 AM »
Congrats, Purplegator
~Jeff