Author Topic: Poor mango quality in DR this year.  (Read 935 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Poor mango quality in DR this year.
« on: June 18, 2016, 12:36:37 AM »
We had the local mango festival last week,  I filmed a couple of days at the technical seminars,   but what I really wanted to comment on was the poor quality, of the mangoes available almost everywhere.   

Last years mango season was preceded by an almost 2 year drought,  but the mangoes were superb.  best they can be for their type,  Hadens, Kents, Palmers, were top notch. 

This year we did not even have a dry season, it rained on and off all winter/spring.  the fruits are riddles with anthracnose, are watered down, and/or have internal breakdown.  about a quarter of the fruit I purchased , rotted before they ripened.

I have had some decent fruit,  but  generally speaking its just a bad year for them.   I can only imagine what the late season Keitts will look like.  we will see how "resistant" they are to fungi.

The Kesar's I got from my friend were consistently good quality,  he grows them in a more arid region,  so this may be the reason.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 12:40:13 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Poor mango quality in DR this year.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 12:51:42 PM »
Thanks for the report Tropicdude. I can see how too much rain can cause watered down tasting mangos with internal issues and fungal problems. I would guess that strong tasting super sweet mangos will have better eating qualities in high rainfall years. Maybe you can find a strong tasting super sweet variety that is not prone to internal flesh issues and with good resistance to diseases. I wonder if any of the Zill varieties have all of these characteristics?

Simon