Author Topic: Which is the best Jackfruit variety as far as sweet-taste and productivity?  (Read 40693 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
1. Sounds like a good place to plant a Jak :)

2. I think as long as the leaves reach the sunlight, you'll be fine

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Florida G-man, so how cold hardy would you say is the Dang Suria Jack? More cold hardy than Black Gold?
Thanks Ed
Zone 10

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Florida G-man, so how cold hardy would you say is the Dang Suria Jack? More cold hardy than Black Gold?
Thanks Ed
Black Gold will be more cold hardy.  Some say the taste is very good but in my opinion, the taste/quality does not live up to the lebel of the varieties mentioned on the previous page.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Question:  I have a shed that faces south, probably about 8-10 ft tall, and have about 10 feet behind the shed is a fence.  If i planted a jackfruit, would it do ok, once it grew up over the shed?  The tree has room to get some light (another overgrown weed/tree is already there)

Ok, so here are 2 questions:

1.  Would it be ok to plant a 3g Jackfruit and let it grow up toward the sun, or purchase a large tree (usually like to plant small trees and grow them up, mark in texas style) and plant it so it already gets some sun?

Thanks!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Thanks Ed
[/quote]
Black Gold will be more cold hardy.  Some say the taste is very good but in my opinion, the taste/quality does not live up to the lebel of the varieties mentioned on the previous page.
[/quote]

Thanks Rob !
Zone 10

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
gunnar429, other than the already mentioned jaks, the one that comes to mind and stands out is the 'NS-1.' From what I've learned from other Members that have it, is that the all around fruit quality and taste has that of the other jaks beat, although not by much.

Is the information that the tree's leaves will sometime fall off in weird ways that make the tree look like crap? Any truth to this? I suppose that only those that have the 'NS-1' and other varieties to compare it with, like 'Black Gold,' 'J-31,' can really know and report on this; thanks for any help that anyone can reliably provide on this conundrum.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
gunnar429, other than the already mentioned jaks, the one that comes to mind and stands out is the 'NS-1.' From what I've learned from other Members that have it, is that the all around fruit quality and taste has that of the other jaks beat, although not by much.

Is the information that the tree's leaves will sometime fall off in weird ways that make the tree look like crap? Any truth to this? I suppose that only those that have the 'NS-1' and other varieties to compare it with, like 'Black Gold,' 'J-31,' can really know and report on this; thanks for any help that anyone can reliably provide on this conundrum.

I have a 1 year old in ground grafted NS-1  (from 3 gal).  It is slow growing, and looks like crap.  That could be due to location of the planting ( not full sun, questionable soil).  It looks nutrient deficient despite foliar sprays and iron drench.  We'll see how it goes over the next couple of years. 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
I've been exceedingly happy with my NS-1 seedling. Bore in about 3 years from seed. Has heavy crops every year.

My Jacks tend to prefer sun on their trunks. If there is no sun on the trunk, they they won't produce much in the way of fruit there.

How is the excalibur gold, Rob? As good as the Mais?
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
Jeff - while the Excalibur Gold is very good, I think the  Mais are better and the Mai 1 is a heavy bearer.  The Mai 3 may have a better flavor than the 1; but didn't bear as heavy and the fruit are smaller.   The Excalibur Gold is better than the Mai 2.
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
Jeff - while the Excalibur Gold is very good, I think the  Mais are better and the Mai 1 is a heavy bearer.  The Mai 3 may have a better flavor than the 1; but didn't bear as heavy and the fruit are smaller.   The Excalibur Gold is better than the Mai 2.

Interesting.  I planted the Excalibur Gold based on the rumor that Richard had said the Excalibur Gold was the best he'd ever had.  Guess I'll have to wait a year or two to evaluate it myself.

Also, do you know anything about the variety "Excalibur" ?

I can't wait for a bunch of my trees to come into production.  Will be cool to put the Excalibur stuff up against some of the Australian seedlings and others I have planted.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 03:30:28 PM by Sleepdoc »

bsbullie

• View Profile
I believe Richard may prefer the Excalibur Gold over the Red however I prefer the Red.   Overall, compar[quote author=Sleepdoc linkcomparing a Red vs Gold of equal quality,  I like the taste of the Red better.   With taste being subjective,  I am not sure there is a right or wrong.  In any event,  you won't be disappointed with the Excalibur Gold.

The Excalibur is also a very good jack fruit. I would put it in the same class as Bangkok Lemon,  which is not a shabby variety by any means.

=topic=3997.msg125267#msg125267 date=1396121216]

Interesting.  I planted the Excalibur Gold based on the rumor that Richard had said the Excalibur Gold was the best he'd ever had.  Guess I'll have to wait a year or two to evaluate it myself.

Also, do you know anything about the variety "Excalibur" ?

I can't wait for a bunch of my trees to come into production.  Will be cool to put the Excalibur stuff up against some of the Australian seedlings and others I have planted.
[/quote]
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Over a long period here the commercial and backyard growers trialled just about all the top Asian jacks and developed many new varieties including the gold series. What drives the chase for the best is the price that can be returned in the Sydney markets where Asian people buy large volumes. The golds, NSI,J31 and top thais are not fetching premium prices these days. Some previous popular types like galaxy and cheena have almost disappeared. Brinsmeade special, piccone crisp, Amber, Berry and a couple of other newer types are getting the highest prices. A couple of these don't seem any better to me so personal taste is also important. The competition to have good varieties no one else has seems to be driving the  improvements. I have a seedling J33 and I'm interested to see how it compares. New varieties being developed and imported is happening at a fast rate with this species.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
Rob- Cool, thanks for the description.  I had forgotten that you had answered a similar question in the past.

Mike-  I'm anxiously waiting for my Aussie seedlings mature.  I have 2 Amber seedlings and 1 Berry seedling in ground.  The Ambers are doing OK, while the Berry is a total beast.  The Berry is about 7 feet tall at this point.  Took this pic of the Berry S just now ...

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:03:08 PM by Sleepdoc »

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Here is a pic of my Berry S.  Notice the difference in the leaf shape.  Mine is about 5 ft tall but branching nicely for a seedling.  I will put it in the ground next week.  I can't wait until all the people that got these seedlings can bring the resulting fruits to a tasting table. I vote for calling them the  Mi-T Berry (pronounced mighty berry) and Mi-T Amber series 1 to n  ;D

Brandon

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Hello gang.
This is a black gold jack fruit tree st fairchild gardens today. My daughter is in the background

Zone 10

gunnar429

• View Profile
Thanks for the pic, Ed.  Hope you guys enjoyed yourselves!  If i am correct, that is antidesma in the background to the left of the dragonfruit.  The hudson (south florida) persimmon is right there too. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Brandon and Sleepdoc I am glad they are going well and confident that they will be true. It would be good if some of the other locals here like paxton prolific and Fai zee sui (if it isn't there already under another name) could make an appearance on the Floridian scene also.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
Brandon and Sleepdoc I am glad they are going well and confident that they will be true. It would be good if some of the other locals here like paxton prolific and Fai zee sui (if it isn't there already under another name) could make an appearance on the Floridian scene also.

Send over some seeds, we'll get them in the ground and fruiting !

BearDog

• Ohio Zone 6
    • View Profile
A few years ago I bought a frozen jackfruit from an asian market, it said "Dolphin Brand" grown in Vietnam on it. It was one of the best tasting jackfruits I ever had. The fruit was pretty small and the flesh was round with flat seeds inside. Is anyone familiar with this?  Can anyone list some varieties that are small, sweet and have rounded arils or flesh and flat seeds?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Thanks for the pic, Ed.  Hope you guys enjoyed yourselves!  If i am correct, that is antidesma in the background to the left of the dragonfruit.  The hudson (south florida) persimmon is right there too.
that
We had a great time Jeff !, Bought a couple of mango Books on our way out, was a lil disappointed that they didn't have lots of Mango trees at Fairchild, There all at the Farm..

I will be back down there Next week ;)..
Ed..
Zone 10

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile

I have a 1 year old in ground grafted NS-1  (from 3 gal).  It is slow growing, and looks like crap.  That could be due to location of the planting ( not full sun, questionable soil).  It looks nutrient deficient despite foliar sprays and iron drench.  We'll see how it goes over the next couple of years.

Sleepdoc, thanx for that report, I appreciate it. I'm just trying to get to know the famous 'NS-1' a bit better. Yours is behaving a bit similar to my 'J-31' that is also 1 year old, planted from a 3 gal. (also not full sun, questionable soil). After dying back to half size due to last years cold weather, my 'J-31' right now is looking like a healthy 2 foot tall bush. I hope that after they get established both our jaks start growing at a good pace. - I've learnded from this Forum that grafted jackfruit grow slower and start producing a bit later than seedlings.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

gunnar429

• View Profile
yeah, definitely try to stop by the farm.  I was there a few weeks ago and it was awesome to see all those trees planted out
~Jeff

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
What is the difference in taste and productivity of excalibur red or the borneo red jackfruit, or are they basically the same. Anyone tried either or both

gunnar429

• View Profile
they are not the same.  ex red is red while BR is actually orange.  both are good from what i hear...Exred isn't available right now due to lack of supply, but it will return again obce they catch the inventory up.
~Jeff

gunnar429

• View Profile
Chris Rollins went to Borneo and brought back the BR, which is one of his favorites!  Ex-red would be better answered by Rob, but I believe Richard Wilson sampled fruits in Asia somewhere and had some red ones he liked so he brought back seeds.  If i am correct, that is why Excalibur has so many reddish jacks that aren't available elsewhere.  They have cristela, red morning, and excalibur red.  Now we will see what I got wrong from this info. 

Rob?
~Jeff