Author Topic: Concerning length of seedling lychee juvenile period (Australian study)  (Read 5816 times)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Concerning length of seedling lychee juvenile period (Australian study)
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2020, 06:56:31 PM »
LL the pic from the link has tubercles correct but is the wrong red colour and not exactly the right shape with some fruit not being conical enough. Maybe look at n old thread where I posted pics of large 50g FZS which were redder than the standard form. They are distinctive. Haak yip looks wrong in some pics I have seen posted also. Besides FZS, erdom lee and sansuelin there is only really one other big lychee (routinely over say 40g) and that is Yook ho pow which is also called

Thanks Mike, that is very valuable information. We have Emperor (Chakrapad originally) that averages well over 40g when cultural care is good, with Sweet Heart, and Florida Haak Yip being the next largest. I am pretty sure they both average over 40g, but will have to pay closer attention when we harvest next year.

Btw, I think what you call Haak Yip in Australia we have mislabeled as Ohia in Florida. It matches the pictures and discription I saw from Australia and even tastes vaguely like Kiamana. I always wondered why the Thai would have called it Ohia ("the very best" or something like that) when it never has a chicken tongue seed and is a little on the small side.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2020, 07:01:31 PM »

Guys really digging this thread, as too my lychee tree I bought it from lychee tree nursery in Stuart FL as labeled as sweetheart, they sell a nice variety of lychee trees that are in great shape. Galatians, congrats on fruiting those two trees, I’m hoping I can be so lucky with my seedling. I’m not expecting it to be a winner but there is always a slim chance it could be and I am growing from seed other types of tropical fruit for this reason. I sprout out a bunch of seeds and hang on to whatever has different leaves or growth habit to see what the fruit eventually comes out like. In the end it’s the way new varieties come about, somebody’s gotta buy a few lotto tickets 👍

Joe

The odds are way better with fruit trees. I don't know why more people don't do it.  ;D

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2020, 07:34:28 AM »
I have done a lot of thinking about lychee seedling variability (including the juvinile period). As people continue to select for desireable traits, those traits become more concentraited in the offspring. Thus a seedling grown from an ancient cultivar like Brewster will be much less likely to produce offspring with traits that people desire. Conversely, a seedling of a newer cultivar like Emperor/Chakrapad has had many generations to weed out undesireable traits and will be far more likely to produce the way people want it to.

Add to this that Brewster was thought by Groff to be a hybrid of Shan Chi (Mountain Lychee) and a "water lychee." This makes it quite variable from seed and is supported (at least to me) by the fact that one of the two trees we grew from Brewster seed produces fruit that looks exactly like the pictures (on USDA germplasm request website) I have seen of Shan Chi. Ie it is small, seedy, spiney, sour and took about 25 years to come into bearing.

The Emperor seedling on the other hand is exactly like emperor, leaves, tree, and fruit. It came into bearing quickly from seed and started blooming at only 6'-7' tall.

This would explain the disconnect between "expert" opinions. People came to different conclusions because they started with a different gene pool to begin with.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2020, 02:32:15 PM »
Hey Galatians,

Can you post some pics of your emperor seedling’s leaves? Thanks

Joe

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 03:14:45 PM »
Sure, the tree is at my Dad's place. He is the one who thought we should plant it--I was highly skeptical at the time from listening to the "experts." I will try get some pictures when I am over there. Then, I'll have to learn how to up load them to the forum.  :P

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2020, 11:44:07 PM »
I also believe Sweetheart is FZS. I had several posts on the subject a while back. Also, what I have seen being sold as Hak Ip in Florida is not the same Hak Ip that is grown in China.

It was mentioned on this forum that some nurseries in Florida and California were selling Sweetheart and Hak Ip interchangeably. I’ve posted pictures of the real Hak Ip before. It has a relatively smooth shell, is medium sized and has a medium small seed. It is kinda like a smaller version of Kaimana except it doesn’t have the bumpy line that Kaimana has.

By the way, Kaimana is a really good quality fruit. Its not the sweetest and it doesn’t have a very strong Lychee/rose taste or smell but it is good non the less. It has good size fruit with a small seed and has good enough sweetness and Lychee flavor to keep you coming back for more. Some of the larger Kaimana fruit are as big as golf balls.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2020, 12:02:04 AM »
Here’s the thread which pictures comparing Sweetheart and Hak Ip. The link also has a link to another thread where I posted pictures of the real Hak Ip.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17117.msg216973#msg216973
Simon

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2020, 12:17:35 AM »
Here’s the thread which pictures comparing Sweetheart and Hak Ip. The link also has a link to another thread where I posted pictures of the real Hak Ip.

Simon

Where can I get a sweetheart like yours? That makes huge fruits? I don’t want to get a mislabeled one

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2020, 12:22:16 AM »
What's wrong with Champa?

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2020, 12:24:39 AM »
What's wrong with Champa?
Is that one legit?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2020, 12:36:23 AM »

They buy truck loads from FL.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2020, 04:19:20 AM »
I will tell you what is wrong with chacapat or chakrapad as I would spell it. They may be whoppers averaging a hefty 35g but they are too sour and are rated poor by most evaluations.By contrast haak yip is clearly superior in taste and flash yield but averages under 25g. Ohia is haak yip and to add to the confusion many of the similar souey tung are incorrectly labelled as haak yip.42 varieties were evaluated at a state government facility in my area at Mareeba in the 1970s and 80s and very few passed their final exams.
Test a few lychees on the scale and see what a monster 40g is and haak yip should be no where near that. I believe the Brewster being shan chi error has not landed with Brewster being correctly identified still.
I think it has been lychee overload for some and you're getting sick of me rambling.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2020, 04:35:37 AM »
http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruits/Litchi/LycheeCultivars11-93.htm
One more thing. Most lychee areas (1000 miles north to south) had comparative evaluations of types here such as the one for warmer types for the Atherton Tablelands in the link and I would imagine similar evaluation would be around in Florida, southern Queensland and California even if old and dated. New glamorous types are omitted sure but getting varieties identified correctly is important. Popular types like haak yip and tai so have not been one standard thing for over 50 years.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2020, 05:01:46 AM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-24/super-variety-lychee-trial-underway-in-queensland/11635614
And one thing more. Optimism is high for another round of heavyweight contenders in the lychee realm with Taiwanese/Australian cooperation  in trialling new types.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2020, 11:08:49 PM »
Mike, I’ll never get tired of anything regarding lychees. I agree that there is a wide range of flavors for Lychees. Some like the American Brewster is very fragrant with a strong Lychee/Rose scent and taste. Bosworth 3/Kwai Mai Pink is very sweet but only has mild Lychee taste. No Mai Tsze has a texture that traps the juice in the flesh until you chew it and has a completely different taste than the above mentioned. It has some lychee/rose taste and scent but it has a musky, kind of like Sake(Rice wine) taste in the back of your mouth. It doesn’t sound appetizing but once you try it, you’ll know what I’m talking about.

Texture has a lot to do with the overall enjoyment factor when eating lychees. Sweetheart/FZS and Brewster are very soft fleshed and leak juice like a punctured water ballon. Sweetheart/FZS sometimes gets that strong tannin taste depending on the terroir.

Simon

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2020, 11:14:40 PM »

Simon

Simon,
Thank you for this. You put a lot of work into tracking everything down. Your dad sounds like an amazing resource. I am going to see if I can find some more posts regarding lychee identification.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2020, 12:00:04 AM »
http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruits/Litchi/LycheeCultivars11-93.htm
One more thing. Most lychee areas (1000 miles north to south) had comparative evaluations of types here such as the one for warmer types for the Atherton Tablelands in the link and I would imagine similar evaluation would be around in Florida, southern Queensland and California even if old and dated. New glamorous types are omitted sure but getting varieties identified correctly is important. Popular types like haak yip and tai so have not been one standard thing for over 50 years.

Thanks Mike,
That is an awesome list. Like Simon, I am always interested to hear what you think about lychees (and other fruits). I was surprised to see that Emperor/Chakrapad was rated so poorly on taste and quality in Australia as it is one of my favorite varieties. I think ours must have been sweeter than 16 brix. I know that a grower from south Florida told us that ours were way better than what they were getting down there. Maybe its a soil thing?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2020, 01:01:29 AM »
Simon to describe and elementwise the flavours like rose water, must etc and then rate would be hard. A seasoned campaigner will know to pull the stem at an angle to allow clean skin removal without membrane remaining or juice from ruptured flesh. The challenge then is to quickly lift a lip of flesh and tear down or unfurl without losing juice alternatively just eat the whole peeled fruit.
The link was just to the Atherton Tableland evaluations at one facility on basaltic krasnozem soil. Might turn out differently in other places but not radically I think. Most varieties have a few selection so that can account for a bit of the variation but not too much.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2020, 10:27:13 PM »
Hey Galatians,

Can you post some pics of your emperor seedling’s leaves? Thanks

Joe

Joe here are some pictures of the Emperor seedling comparing it with an airlayered Emperor that was planted right next to it about the same time.

Top is the Emperor seedling

This is an air layered Emperor 20' away.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2020, 10:31:22 PM »
New growth on seedling tree

New growth on air layered tree

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2020, 10:34:23 PM »
Leaves side by side: airlayerd tree on top with the seedling below it.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2020, 10:47:25 PM »
Obviously, I can't get pictures of the fruit right now, but it was just like Emperor. This was the second year in a row that the tree has fruited. My dad and I had a discussion about how old the tree was when it first fruited. I said it was 6, but he said it was 5. The only difference I see is that the seedling has a 2' trunk that the airlayered tree does not have. I presume that this is the result of the seedling's juvenile phase.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2020, 04:41:55 PM »
Galatians,

Thanks for posting these pics, I want to say my seedling is an emperor, but from what I remember of the fruit it doesn’t exactly match: large fruit, light pink, big seed, elliptical shape 🤷‍♂️. One thing I know it’s definitely not a sweetheart lol, those shriveled chicken tongue seeds are really difficult to germinate.

Joe

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2020, 06:39:14 PM »

I am just eating these as we speak and they are quite respectable. I am sure they are the easiest variety to identify. Only 20% chicken tongues.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2020, 08:46:51 PM »
Galatians,

Thanks for posting these pics, I want to say my seedling is an emperor, but from what I remember of the fruit it doesn’t exactly match: large fruit, light pink, big seed, elliptical shape 🤷‍♂️. One thing I know it’s definitely not a sweetheart lol, those shriveled chicken tongue seeds are really difficult to germinate.

Joe

Joe,
Thanks for starting this topic. Your tree should produce some interesting fruit if it is an Emperor seedling. I noticed that your leaf is flat in the close up pic. Both of the leaves in my pic are curled in (seedling and airlayered Emperor). I wonder if that mean you have an "off type." I hope it turns out to be something good!