Author Topic: Feijoa - today's harvest  (Read 1375 times)

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Feijoa - today's harvest
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »
Collected 60+ fruit today from the ground around one of the shrubs... ate more than 10 and there are 51 in the photo below (including the one in hand)... quality is good+ (better than last year, NO hint of "perfume", not sure why the difference).

These are some of (couldn't get to all of them) the fruit that had already fallen...

Fruit were collected from the shrub on the left.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Feijoa - today's harvest
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:44:19 PM »
Wow - mine are much larger than that, grafted, and no sign of fruiting. I fear they need too much water to set fruit in this area. They are grown commercially north of here in the hills, but they give them lots of water...  :(

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:24:19 PM »
This shrub has been fruiting since it was purchased in a 5 gal container and only about 2' tall.  Hard to tell from the photo, but the plant on the left is about 5' tall from soil level now and an average of more than 8' wide (actually more than 10' if you measure from the furthest points).  The blocks in the photo are 16" wide.  There are still a few hundred more fruit on it.

The one on the right is a shy bearer - they flower at the same time, but it doesn't set much fruit.  The quality of the fruit that does set/hold is excellent, but that shrub has disappointed in production levels every single year.

Both have been in the ground about 5 years now.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 10:37:08 PM »
Mike - did your trees have plenty of flowers?  If so, I'm guessing it's less about water as much as cold/low temperatures.  We regularly have nights in the 30's F during winter and this year dipped below freezing on a couple of occasions.  Since feijoa is said to be fairly drought tolerant, I'm guessing that is more of the issue - although not sure of your climate/microclimate.

As for my watering routine, these two get about a gallon a day - all from irrigation as we have little to no rainfall.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk