Author Topic: Is Angie a Top-Tier Mango?  (Read 28835 times)

macias_97

• Gilbert, AZ
    • View Profile
Re: Is Angie a Top-Tier Mango?
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2018, 03:45:32 PM »

[/quote]

Carrie is great.....Angie tastes like A$$
[/quote]

Gotta agree, tasted two of three.  Probably one the worst tasting mangoes ever.  I had a third one and i just threw it away.
getting there...

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2018, 09:17:08 AM »
Opinion/experience (or preference) is all over the place with this variety, but usually either strongly negative or positive, so my conclusion?  NOT TOP-TIER! :)  (I'll let Richard Campbell know.)  I like it enough to not chop the tree down as long as it stays healthy, and it's early-ripening.
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2018, 09:21:47 AM »
Opinion/experience (or preference) is all over the place with this variety, but usually either strongly negative or positive, so my conclusion?  NOT TOP-TIER! :)  (I'll let Richard Campbell know.)  I like it enough to not chop the tree down as long as it stays healthy, and it's early-ripening.

I don't think its top tier but if you have the room in your yard and don't mind the Carrie type flavor its pretty good.
I usually find Carrie to be more flavorful but the later Angies are a bit better.

I prefer Edgar and Valcarrie in terms of taste but the low vigor of Angie nice feature to have.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2018, 09:36:14 AM »

I do not know why Angie has been getting such a bad rap. While not a top tier mango, it is much better than many others. The tree stays small and it is productive as well. That being said, agree with Sayyid that Edgar and Valcarrie are better in terms of taste. I'd add Dwarf Hawaiian to the list as well.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
I could see it in someone’s top 25 but not a top ten by no means

Tastes vary but not up there with top dogs imo

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2018, 10:56:46 AM »
I think Angies is an excellent mango it can easily be considered top tier by some of us who love it but Carrie is even better. This years Carrie has been off but last year it was on my top ten list.

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2018, 11:21:25 AM »
Going to another tasting tomorrow night at the Brevard Fruit Club

So far the zill types have been excellent

Of course Carrie is an older Zill type that some love and some don’t

I don’t and ugly Betty and Angie are not to my lfavorites either but I like m-17 which I hear is a Carrie seedling.

Carrie has a big following but I dug mine up and gave it to a buddy and it’s doing fine there

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »
Going to another tasting tomorrow night at the Brevard Fruit Club

So far the zill types have been excellent

Of course Carrie is an older Zill type that some love and some don’t

I don’t and ugly Betty and Angie are not to my lfavorites either but I like m-17 which I hear is a Carrie seedling.

Carrie has a big following but I dug mine up and gave it to a buddy and it’s doing fine there

Thanks for giving your unwanted tree to someone else.  I usually try to do the same.
John

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2018, 06:17:55 PM »
My curiosity was piqued by an earlier comment that "Angie tastes like" Australian Dollars!?
Har

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2019, 10:21:14 AM »
Update for 2019.  The fruit is smaller this year, but the flavor is better--a worthwhile trade-off in my opinion.  I think it may be true that the better your soil is, the better the flavor of Angie will be.
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2019, 12:19:32 PM »
Update for 2019.  The fruit is smaller this year, but the flavor is better--a worthwhile trade-off in my opinion.  I think it may be true that the better your soil is, the better the flavor of Angie will be.

I'm having a similar experience. Smaller but really good

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2019, 06:32:12 PM »
Perhaps your tree heard you complain about its fruit and it changed its way :)
They must hear, there have been at least two trees I threatened to take the axe to unless they fruited and would you believe they fruited the very next year. Or perhaps the next year after that when I said really, really, would ...

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2019, 10:15:22 AM »
After seven years experience with Angie and four years of commentary (along with all my hopes, prayers, and dreams), I would have to conclude in all honesty that it's NOT A TOP-TIER MANGO, not even a second-tier mango.  The flavor can vary from barely acceptable to very good, but in my experience it's not a connoisseur's mango and it's never going to wow you.  (In contrast, even Pickering outperforms it, often approaching greatness.)  The tree is a great one to work with, but that alone doesn't justify planting it.  If I had it to do over, I would not have planted this tree and wasted seven years, and if I were staying here in this house, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with a better-tasting variety.  (All that being said, when I give it to my neighbors and friends, they seem to love it.  I guess because it's much better than what the supermarket sells or what falls from random giant seedling trees.)
John

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2019, 10:32:08 AM »
Angie does well in my yard.  Taste can be excellent.  Texture is excellent.  Appearance is quite good, disease resistance is quite good.

IMO, FWIW, in my yard at least, after years of experience with the fruit and tree, I would place it overall just under top tier. 

That being said, I have had some Angie’s from other locations that are terrible.  One experience that comes to mind is a tasting at Harry’s a few years ago.  I actually had to spit out the Angie’s because they were so nasty.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2019, 12:53:59 PM »
Angie does well in my yard.  Taste can be excellent.  Texture is excellent.  Appearance is quite good, disease resistance is quite good.

IMO, FWIW, in my yard at least, after years of experience with the fruit and tree, I would place it overall just under top tier. 

That being said, I have had some Angie’s from other locations that are terrible.  One experience that comes to mind is a tasting at Harry’s a few years ago.  I actually had to spit out the Angie’s because they were so nasty.
Davie vs. coastal zone.  It may largely be about location and soil with this variety.
John

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2019, 01:45:42 PM »
Davie vs. coastal zone.  It may largely be about location and soil with this variety.

I definitely think this is the case. I have been ordering mangos from FL for years now. And I will usually get some Angies. Sometimes they are good and occassionally very good. but often they are average/forgettable. Also several years ago I got several boxes of Alphonso mangos from Devgad over several weeks from mangozz. These were the most exquisite mangos I have ever had. So I been trying to recapture that eating experience (Angie is in the Alphonso flavor category).

I have an Angie tree in my yard, and last year it produced one mango.... and it was *exceptional*. It is so good that it would give a Devgad Alphonso a run for its money. I don't know if it is just our insane heat or what but it really brought out the best in this tree.
- Mark

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2019, 05:07:41 PM »
With Angie there’s an off-flavor near the skin.  When this predominates, your eating experience suffers.
John

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2019, 07:37:41 PM »
I hate Angie and my girlfriend doesn’t like it as much as I

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2019, 08:00:43 PM »
I still love Angie

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2019, 08:35:50 PM »
I had 1 this season and it was marginal..

Ed
Zone 10

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2019, 07:17:55 AM »
My personal experience after 8 years or so is that Angie is an EXCELLENT mango when eaten on the firmer side of ripe. At that stage, the flavor/consistency/chalkiness is delicious (not on par with the Zill favorites but very good indeed). The tree is slow-growing and the fruit tends not to suffer from anthracnose and other disease.

That said, the moment the fruit gets 'softer,' the flavor profile changes entirely and I can't even stomach the smell, let alone the taste at that stage. It becomes an overripe Carrie very quickly and the flavor changes accordingly. Not my cup of tea at that point.

For what it's worth, I've shared many varieties of mangoes this year with family/friends, and the majority have identified Angie as their favorite. Of course, I'm hoarding the true gems like Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart, Fruit Punch, etc. I love my friends, but I love my top-tier mangoes more.

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2019, 07:27:30 AM »
There is a funk taste in Angie that some taste and some don’t

More taste it as it ripens and gets funkier

It’s like cilantro where the brain of some cause it to taste like soap while others are loving it.

So if I pass on your Angie they all taste like crap to me

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2019, 12:29:30 PM »
I should change the title to:  Angie, the #1 Most Polarizing Mango!
John

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2019, 12:34:22 PM »
It's not Carrie.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2019, 02:12:49 PM »
It's not Carrie.
#1 and #2?
John