Author Topic: Rio Star GF concern  (Read 1248 times)

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
Rio Star GF concern
« on: November 06, 2020, 05:38:18 PM »
My inground Rio Star is exhibiting extremely yellow leaves, but only on a few branches on one side of the tree. The other side of the tree is nice dark green. This tree is about 7 years old and is just beginning to really start producing. I have noted the fruit are generally smaller this year but don’t know if whatever is happening to make the leaves look so anemic would influence fruit size. Anyone have insight?

Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Rio Star GF concern
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 06:00:52 PM »
For uneven mottling, the diagnosis is usually HLB.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 07:26:27 PM »
Looks like HLB to me.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »
HLB

Yorgos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 11:48:16 PM »
That was my worst fear. I noted lack of symmetry in the fruit as well.   I will call Texas A&M ag extension office.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »
Yorgos thank you for doing the responsible course of action.

Yorgos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 12:54:34 PM »
I am worried about the rest of the citrus in my yard now.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 08:11:19 AM »
Bless you. Just let the inspectors tell you what it is. Eventually everyone will need a cure for HLB. We enjoy our trees and fruit while we can.

Yorgos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 05:48:01 PM »
Before and after pics: :'(.   TAMU did diagnose HLB so I cut it down.  Was really putting out some excellent fruit too.  I had been noticing other front yard trees that were exhibiting signs of HLB. A blessing of this latest cold will be the killing of many the citrus around limiting the reservoir of HLB that has been building up.  It also should strike a blow to the Asian Psyllid population. At least that’s the silver lining to hold on to in having to start over. Likely my various oranges, lemons, satsumas are all toast.  Hope my kumquats make it.   

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 07:58:56 PM »
Before and after pics: :'(.   TAMU did diagnose HLB so I cut it down.  Was really putting out some excellent fruit too.  I had been noticing other front yard trees that were exhibiting signs of HLB. A blessing of this latest cold will be the killing of many the citrus around limiting the reservoir of HLB that has been building up.  It also should strike a blow to the Asian Psyllid population. At least that’s the silver lining to hold on to in having to start over. Likely my various oranges, lemons, satsumas are all toast.  Hope my kumquats make it.   

I think you are right about the cold in regards to it's impact on the psylid population and greening. Back in the 70s Florida's citrus industry was saved by a similar cold snap that killed off all of the mites that were vectors for citrus Leprosis. The cold killed many groves, but people were able to re-plant and the disease has never re-surfaced to my knowledge. Unfortunately, Texas is not a peninsula, so you will eventually be re-infected from Mexico. But it will give you some breathing room, and maybe a solution will be found by then.

One other possible benefit of cold in regards to greening is something that I was discussing with a local grower. It has been observed with pierces disease (a similar diseas that affects grapes) that lengthy cold periods allow the vines to rejuvinate and overcome the bacterial growth. That is why at certain latitudes pierce's disease becomes a non-factor. It would make sense that being a bacteria, HLB would grow more slowly in cold conditions. This might gve the tree just enough "breathing room" to out grow the disease. This is supported by the fact that some groves he toured in north Florida have trees that test positive for HLB but don't show any major symptoms. Thus, I speculate that cold hardy citrus being grown in colder climates may never be materially affected by citrus greening. Only time will tell.