Poll

Which Tastes Better?

Grumichama
4 (44.4%)
Jaboticaba
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Grumichama vs Jaboticaba  (Read 2003 times)

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
Grumichama vs Jaboticaba
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:49:38 PM »
I now have both of these fruit trees and am curious as to which one tastes better.  Please only vote if you have experienced tasting BOTH fruits. 

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Grumichama vs Jaboticaba
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 01:14:25 PM »
Which Jaboticaba?!

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 01:18:02 PM »
Even though there are different Jaboticaba cultivars, the taste of the fruit are distinctively different from Grumichama.  So base it on your experience of your Jaboticaba cultivar vs. grumichama.

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 01:09:05 AM »
I have only tasted murta jaboticaba. I prefer grumichama by a lot.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 07:38:26 AM »
I prefer jabos, but have only tried grumi leaves thus far

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 07:43:32 AM »
No comparison in my book. We dug out our grumichama tree. The taste was somewhat insipid to me and the texture was somewhat 'off' as well. That, plus the fact that the entire tree essentially ripens within a 1-week period, it was just not worth it.

Our red jabo is delicious and essentially produces year-round.

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 10:58:36 AM »
No comparison in my book. We dug out our grumichama tree. The taste was somewhat insipid to me and the texture was somewhat 'off' as well. That, plus the fact that the entire tree essentially ripens within a 1-week period, it was just not worth it.

Our red jabo is delicious and essentially produces year-round.

You sound EXACTLY like what I have read from Adam from Fly Fox Fruits.  :)

I am not looking at Pros and Cons of each fruit.  Just the taste.  Because one can argue that Grumichama fruits faster (than most Jaboticabas) and they produce two abundant harvests a year.

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 01:39:10 PM »
I much prefer the taste of the jaboticaba to the grummichama.  Also, for myself and a couple of friends with grummichama in San Diego, they seem to be shy bearers, not nearly as productive as my jaboticaba.

Cheers,
Richard

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 02:02:56 PM »
I have only tasted a first year fruiting grumi so it won’t be fair to compare with a red jabo that i have liked. I like bitterness in sweet tasting fruits more than tartness. I like and eat the skin of all jaboticabas which i was ridiculed about at a plinia fb group when i mentioned.

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 02:23:40 PM »
Not a simple question because IMHO the variability in grumichama fruits is as high as the variability of cherry of the Rio Grande, Pitanga and Pitomba. A really good Variety is worth the space in the ground and is worth growing on its own merits. Jaboticaba is a little more uniform and reproducible with well established varieties including the newer precocious varieties having a predictable fruit flavor. Forced to choose I prefer Jaboticaba.

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 03:44:25 PM »
Not a simple question because IMHO the variability in grumichama fruits is as high as the variability of cherry of the Rio Grande, Pitanga and Pitomba. A really good Variety is worth the space in the ground and is worth growing on its own merits. Jaboticaba is a little more uniform and reproducible with well established varieties including the newer precocious varieties having a predictable fruit flavor. Forced to choose I prefer Jaboticaba.

Yes, one of the reasons why I am asking IS because of that variability in both fruits.  So far, sounds like Jaboticaba is more consistent in flavor from different plants while there is more variability with Grumichama.  Interestingly, the circle of growers I know in person, they like Grumichama better.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:53:00 PM by joe_OC »

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 05:15:45 PM »
No comparison I have one Grumichama of four which tastes quite good maybe half as good as a northers U.S. cherry but not ib the same universe as a Sabara jabo.
Regards,

Gary

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 05:20:38 PM »
Well my grumichama is flowering at the moment...hopefully I can taste this fruit.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 06:37:39 PM »
To me they taste equally as good, although if i pick a jabo at it's prime i would give it the edge in flavor.

Down here it's not uncommon to have worms in the grumichamas and if you pair it with the limited season I'd have to go with a jabo.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 11:01:50 AM »
I much prefer Grumichama.  For me it was a shy bearer until I started giving it some extra water in the spring and fall before it bloomed.  It now produces large numbers of delicious fruit twice a year.  Mine is about to flower again.  For best taste wait until the fruit is almost black.  When they appear to be overripe they taste the best.

Bill

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 03:55:12 PM »
For me they are as different as surinam cherry is to CORTG.  My grumichamas are like miniature peaches, the jabos like tropical custard. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 04:53:39 PM »
I have a good Grumi selection being a big sweet yellow and its rootstock has good quality large dark fruit. It is flanked by sabara and grimal jabs with red hybrid pretty close also. They often have fruit on at the same time and I eat them at the same time. Grumis really can't compete with jaboticaba big guns like grimal for taste or productivity. Even the big fruited orange grumis can't match it with good jabs. Line a good grumi up against vexator or a yellow now that is a different story. I would not disrespect the best grumis as they are nice cherry like fruit but not every tree can get the gold medal.