Author Topic: Pruning mulberry  (Read 2180 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Pruning mulberry
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:58:23 AM »
Does anyone prune their mulberry trees to produce a more bush-like shape?  My trees have a lanky growth habit, that has put most fruit out of reach rather quickly.
Years ago a wise man told me not to prune trees unless I actually knew what I was doing. I've gladly followed that advice except for some cautious tipping of mango trees, in the spirit of Dr. Campbell.

Perhaps something similar would work for mulberries?

jb_fla

• View Profile
Re: Pruning mulberry
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »
What cultivar of mulberry do you have?  I have to prune my Pakistan Mulberry 3 times a year to keep it in the 25-30 foot range.  I cut off about 10' around the whole tree each time I prune it, they are very vigorous.  In the early days it was lanky but filled in with time.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 02:59:43 PM »
Pakistan has been the worst offender. From your experience it sounds like I can be a little aggressive with it.

Dirty Coconuts

• 10b South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:22:13 PM »
Resurrecting this thread rather than post a new one. My mulberry was a graft and it was about four feet tall when I got it. It promptly grew another foot and then started branching out.
Sandy broke my support stick and now the tree leans BAD. Like bent 90. It can't support itself. Should I just stake and tie it up? Cut it to nothing but a twelve inch stump so it will bush from a short base? Leave it be so it gets strong??

Thanks

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »
I would cut off almost all the material  above the graft, leaving just a few leaves and then stake that up.  The wind and gravity won't have much to push and pull on while your tree heals itself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk