Author Topic: Plantnet app  (Read 2250 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Plantnet app
« on: October 02, 2018, 03:38:31 PM »
Has anyone else here tried out the Plantnet smartphone app? I'm loving this thing! It uses a neural net to try to identify plants from images of the leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, whatever.  Sometimes it's unsuccessful, as you'd expect (that's an incredibly hard challenge), but it's successful more often than I'd expect, and I've had a number of times where the plant in question has been the first guess (for example, it got my tamarind right away).   And every picture that you take and contribute to the app helps teach the app to recognize such images in the future. Also, while I expected the results to be biased towards common temperate plans (because I'd expect the user base to be biased toward that), instead i most commonly guesses (even when wrong) tropical fruiting plants.  You can also narrow down the selection by family or genus.

It's fun even if you don't have any unknown plants, but if you ever get into one of those situations where you have some seedling mixup and you're not sure what it is, definitely give it a try.  :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:44:59 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Plantnet app
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 04:57:31 PM »
Will have to give that one a go, thx. Gave PlantSnap a try and was less than impressed, hope this is better.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 01:28:15 AM »
There's a popular free ID app that's mainly for forest trees of the north or something. The name doesn't give an indication of that restriction but it couldn't ID anything I have in Southern California. The database of that one is really limited.

Being able to ID tamarind is pretty impressive! Sounds like a good app.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 10:25:57 AM »
There's a popular free ID app that's mainly for forest trees of the north or something. The name doesn't give an indication of that restriction but it couldn't ID anything I have in Southern California. The database of that one is really limited.

Being able to ID tamarind is pretty impressive! Sounds like a good app.

Also got Physalis peruviana and Monstera deliciosa as its #1 guesses (tried M. deliciosa both by the stalk and leaves, both worked). It thought my Carica monoica was Carica papaya, but that's pretty close (nobody had uploaded C. monoica pictures). Got my acerola flowers top hit, although by leaves it was a fair ways down the list. My bananas were the third hit (I think the number one hit it guessed was some sort of Canna). Coffee leaves were fairly high on the list as well (but it couldn't identify it by its trunk; I added some pictures to hopefully help with that  :)  ).  Got my Pachira aquatica first hit by leaves, but not my trunk (most trunks in the database were actually for P. glabra... I corrected that).  Annona muricata was something like 6th or 7th on its guess list. It strangely wasn't able to get my coconut by its trunk, despite how distinct coconut trunks are (added some pictures), but it had no trouble with the leaves. I actually had a plant I didn't know what it was and it helped me figure it out (Eugenia uniflora - thanks, Plantnet, I thought I had one of those around here somewhere!).  Can't remember what other plants I tried, but... I was very impressed, this is a super-difficult task it's doing.

Whenever I'm bored (for example, in the bathroom or waiting on something or whatnot) I also take part in rating other peoples' photos, to help the neural net.  I'd guess I've rated maybe 500 or so so far, it's kind of addictive  :)  I've gotten some major seed orders in route right now (five different sellers) and I plan to take lots of good training pictures of them, every stage from seed to maturity.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:01:53 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

JandJPalms

• Kilauea, Kauai HI Z11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 06:14:37 PM »
Hi Karen - Have you tried any of the other plant ID apps?  I went to the apple app store and found a few different apps for identification.  I notice Plantnet has only 3/5 stars, which is fewer than a couple of the other free apps. (Not that this is an absolute reason not to get it, I'm just curious).   I like the idea of using an app, but I was wondering if you tried the other apps, and why you selected this one?  Thanks. - Jen 

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 06:43:14 PM »
Have not tried other ones.  After trying this one, I saw no need to try others. 

It has 4,3 out of 5 stars on Android. Are you sure it's the same app?  It's sometimes spelled "Pl@ntNet", although in the app store it's spelled "PlantNet Plant Identification".

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 08:04:35 PM »
Working great on iOS for me. Thanks for sharing.

JandJPalms

• Kilauea, Kauai HI Z11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 06:59:30 PM »
Have not tried other ones.  After trying this one, I saw no need to try others. 

It has 4,3 out of 5 stars on Android. Are you sure it's the same app?  It's sometimes spelled "Pl@ntNet", although in the app store it's spelled "PlantNet Plant Identification".

I think its the same one.  What the heck, I think I'll try it.  :-)  Thanks for your recommendation.  - Jen

jako9403

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 01:49:04 PM »
I tried it on a few temperate plants/hedges with 100% success rate. The interface is a bit odd to me though.