Author Topic: Hardy citrus on other rootstocks  (Read 1909 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Hardy citrus on other rootstocks
« on: April 06, 2019, 10:02:12 PM »
We know about hardy citrus on trifoliate and Flying Dragon trifoliate rootstock, but how much do we know about hardy citrus on other trifoliate hybrid rootstocks?

How do you think hardy citrus would do on Tai-tri or US 852 (Changsha x trifoliate) ?

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Hardy citrus on other rootstocks
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 07:30:46 AM »
Sounds great. Might get a more vigorous tree. As long as your hybrid rootstock doesn’t freeze to death.

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 06:11:05 PM »
How long does it take trifoliata to get to root stock size from seed. I want to do some grafting but I want to do it on a root stock that will keep the tree small.
My name is Cindy

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 07:16:42 PM »
Then you need to use Flying Dragon. It takes me about15 to 18 months to get PT to the size I like to graft to.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 09:01:24 PM »
In the lower areas some folks use swingle and have no problem with it. It is a good rootstock. Its vigorous, produces a tree that is a good size and does not alter fruit composition. There are more rootstocks that are "nearly" as hardy as poncirus....depends os what size tree you want, its import to the fruit composition and where you will grow the tree. Rootstock is a choice that needs to address these factors in a positive manner.

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 11:27:35 PM »
How long does it take trifoliata to get to root stock size from seed. I want to do some grafting but I want to do it on a root stock that will keep the tree small.

I recently had success with grafting harvey lemon on 2 months old poncirus trifoliate rootstock using cleft graft. It was lack of vigor but successfully healed. I'll take pictures soon. I have done this experiment to see how young the rootstock can be for a successful graft. So my conclusion would be as long as the rootstock has enough roots to support the scionwood, the graft will have some chance of success.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:43:10 PM by lavender87 »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 04:22:20 AM »
I have grafted very young and small poncirus but......it appears that when standard poncirus is grafted very small and young it benches badly.....FD is worse.