Author Topic: Looking for xoconostle pads  (Read 2443 times)

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
Looking for xoconostle pads
« on: January 27, 2015, 12:48:22 PM »
Is anybody growing xoconostle, also known as Opuntia joconostle or Opuntia matudae?  Null?

Thanks,
Richard
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:55:48 PM by Rtreid »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for xoconostle pads
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:46:44 PM »
Is anybody growing xoconostle, also known as Opuntia joconostle or Opuntia matudae?  Null?

Thanks,
Richard

Was growing it, I lost it to rot. Its more susceptible to rot it seems compared to other Opuntia sp. Keep this one in a drier sunny area. I have some seeds of Opuntia joconostle from a Mexican market I got a while back. I also can give you a source for buying a plant or seeds.

Seeds: http://www.cactusstore.com/category_215/Opuntia.htm
Plant: Mesa Gardens (ordered from here before, its primary mail order but you can email by instructions
 http://www.mesagarden.com/cacplant.html  1104.4-joconostele FO-036 /15/ Pachuca, Hgo., erect stem 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:54:00 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »
I would investigate other opuntia before settling on joncostle. The rind is very thick and it has a small amount of interior flesh that has an insipid taste. It is also extremely spiky.

Better you tried for a good red opuntia. The ebay seller cactus Sam sells a great variety, large low seeded fruit and truly spineless.

NylsX

• Green Roof Partisan
    • MEXICO, Acapulco , Guerrero. Zone 14.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 10:15:07 PM »
I think some of you may be a little confused about Xoconostle, first, in Mexico it's not really sold as a fruit, we consider it more like a vegetable and it's sought for its sour flesh, we use it to prepare healthy green juices , and to prepare some salsas.

The nutritional and antioxidant properties of xoconostle.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0963996912000166
<<< NylsX no Sekai >>>

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:02:27 AM »
NyslX

Thanks for your comments, and that is why I am looking for the plant.  I would like to have the "fruit" to use for salsas and cooking, not to eat as I would a tuna.  I recently had some meals that used it as an ingredient and they were delicious. My local Hispanic markets do not seem to carry it or even know what it is (at least the person working in the produce section had never heard of it).

Null - thanks for the tip on Mesa Gardens.  I have purchased plants from them before, and I'll shoot them an email

Cheers
Richard

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk