Author Topic: Marang in California or Florida  (Read 4858 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Marang in California or Florida
« on: July 22, 2018, 12:06:50 PM »
Has anyone on the forum fruited a Marang in the continental USA?

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Marang in California or Florida
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 01:51:35 PM »
From my extensive reading, not for Marang. People suggest Pedalai over Marang as Pedalai is closer to the breadfruit family and should do better with the winter in FL. I myself trying to get my hand on a Marang tree to try experiment.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 02:00:31 PM »
From my extensive reading, not for Marang. People suggest Pedalai over Marang as Pedalai is closer to the breadfruit family and should do better with the winter in FL. I myself trying to get my hand on a Marang tree to try experiment.

It's actually vice versa between two.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »
My Pedalai was doing just fine in Miami until it got run over by the lawn guy.  GRRRRR!

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 07:54:29 PM »
noochka1, where do you get your pedalai? It's impossible to find and Excalibur gave me the run around.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 12:39:28 AM »
There is apparently a fruiting marang on NSW north coast. The owner has posted about it on a few forums with pics but I have no idea if it’s real. If so, that is much colder than south Florida and it should certainly be possible there.

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 04:43:52 AM »
Yeah John Picone has a large fruiting tree inside his netted area just outside Byron Bay Northern NSW

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 06:38:02 AM »
noochka1, where do you get your pedalai? It's impossible to find and Excalibur gave me the run around.
eBay.  There's a seller in Hawaii who has them fairly regularly.  They are pricey, but they are real.

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 10:54:56 AM »
eBay.  There's a seller in Hawaii who has them fairly regularly.  They are pricey, but they are real.

Thanks! Yeah I bought a Marang plant from the Hawaii ebay seller last October and it die within 2 weeks. I just ordered a Marang plant again last night hoping that this time we have hot and humid air in Florida, the Marang may have better chance to acclimate from Hawaii to Florida weather. Cost me $40 shipped, it's a bit pricey but still manageable. The Pedalai plant he's selling is $125, way more than I would want to pay for experiment.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 03:30:46 AM »
KC- I bought from that fellow in Hawaii many times but the Marangs never make it no matter how hot/humid it is here. I did try a Pedalai last summer and that plant seemed much hardier than the marang but died after coming indoors for the winter.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »
Has anyone on the forum fruited a Marang in the continental USA?

Just by Looking at your soil, it shows how much effort you put on your garden. Turning a poor/Normal soil into a fertile soil is not easy.

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:36:22 AM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 09:35:43 AM »

Thanks! Yeah I bought a Marang plant from the Hawaii ebay seller last October and it die within 2 weeks. I just ordered a Marang plant again last night hoping that this time we have hot and humid air in Florida, the Marang may have better chance to acclimate from Hawaii to Florida weather. Cost me $40 shipped, it's a bit pricey but still manageable. The Pedalai plant he's selling is $125, way more than I would want to pay for experiment.

Get Marang seeds instead. Much cheaper.  ;)
Moh'd

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 10:03:00 AM »

Get Marang seeds instead. Much cheaper.  ;)

I did, they sprouted and did well until 2 weeks later. Again, this was in November/December where Florida get dry and cooler. So if I were to try seeds again, it needs to be in different months. I have a contact that could sell me seeds at the right month, but just have to wait for next year.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 07:25:05 PM »
Marang does fruits much faster than Pedalay and the fruit is also a lot larger .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Rob P

• Australia, Gold Coast Queensland. 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 12:48:59 AM »

This is my fruiting Marang a bit north of John Picone's tree, its on the Gold Coast hinterland at 28o South. When pushing the climatic limits for a tree you really need the right type of soil and good wind breaks.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 02:09:10 AM »

This is my fruiting Marang a bit north of John Picone's tree, its on the Gold Coast hinterland at 28o South. When pushing the climatic limits for a tree you really need the right type of soil and good wind breaks.

Rob, are you in Brisbane? What are yr lows in winter?

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 02:32:25 PM »
Beautiful tree JF! Maybe give it some winter protection for a few years until it gets some size. The foliage (not roots) on my biggest potted marang does ok into the mid to low 40F? If it happens to get colder, I've had die back up to 1/2" in size but resprouts when the weather warms. I've been toying with planting one here in a an easily protected spot.

Btw, marang and elasticus seem hardier than pedalai.

Rob P

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 08:11:43 PM »
JF my tree is growing 80 klms (50 miles) south of Brisbane in a well protected gully with good wind breaks in a well structured red/brown volcanic clay loam. The lowest temps it has felt were in 2007 when two very cold nights saw temp hit a min. of 3 and 3.5oC, two weeks ago saw the end of the longest really cold I have had here in 30 years. Min. temps were 3.6, 4.4, 7.6, 4.6, 5.4 and 5.4oC (38.5 - 45.9oF) over 6 nights, what made things worse were that temps were below 10oC by early evening so exposure to the cold was prolonged. The tree dropped a few older leaves and some of the older leaves look a bit yellow, but the new buds and young leaves that were pushing before the cold snap are growing and expanding fine 2 weeks after the event. The tree is about 18 years old and 35 or so feet tall, hopefully it will be another 30 years before I see another cold snap this bad again!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 03:35:31 PM »
JF my tree is growing 80 klms (50 miles) south of Brisbane in a well protected gully with good wind breaks in a well structured red/brown volcanic clay loam. The lowest temps it has felt were in 2007 when two very cold nights saw temp hit a min. of 3 and 3.5oC, two weeks ago saw the end of the longest really cold I have had here in 30 years. Min. temps were 3.6, 4.4, 7.6, 4.6, 5.4 and 5.4oC (38.5 - 45.9oF) over 6 nights, what made things worse were that temps were below 10oC by early evening so exposure to the cold was prolonged. The tree dropped a few older leaves and some of the older leaves look a bit yellow, but the new buds and young leaves that were pushing before the cold snap are growing and expanding fine 2 weeks after the event. The tree is about 18 years old and 35 or so feet tall, hopefully it will be another 30 years before I see another cold snap this bad again!

Rob. Brisbane and La Habra Ca have very close climate. Let take a look and compare winters and summers.
https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/ASXX0016:1:AS
Brisbane winter highs/lows

70/51
69/48
71/50

summer temps
83/67
84/69
84/69

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/90631:4:US

La habra winter highs/lows
71/46
71/48
72/48

sumer temps

89/64
90/65
88/63

here is the kicker precipitation
brisbane
50" average per year
la habra
14" average per year

If I find a nice micro climate I might be able to fruit marang

Rob P

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 05:00:38 AM »
JF temps at my location are a bit higher than the ones you quoted, apart from the run of cold nights I had between the 14th and 19th of July temps have been fairly mild and mid winter max. temps have been around 73oF. This resulted in the Marang pushing out a flush of new leaves right in the middle of winter, also rainfall and humidity are much higher than Brisbane on the Gold Coast hinterland. The micro climate in the elevated gully where the tree grows is also very good and is a natural sun trap, max temps for the first week of Aug. (late winter here) have averaged around 75oF so far.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 08:37:17 PM »
JF temps at my location are a bit higher than the ones you quoted, apart from the run of cold nights I had between the 14th and 19th of July temps have been fairly mild and mid winter max. temps have been around 73oF. This resulted in the Marang pushing out a flush of new leaves right in the middle of winter, also rainfall and humidity are much higher than Brisbane on the Gold Coast hinterland. The micro climate in the elevated gully where the tree grows is also very good and is a natural sun trap, max temps for the first week of Aug. (late winter here) have averaged around 75oF so far.

While the temps can vary from year to year, month to month, I'm looking at the yearly average and it appears the temps are very close w the exception of precipitation. Our average for July is 88/65 this year it been extremely warm our High/low 94/70. 

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 09:00:48 PM »
While the temps can vary from year to year, month to month, I'm looking at the yearly average and it appears the temps are very close w the exception of precipitation. Our average for July is 88/65 this year it been extremely warm our High/low 94/70.

Hi JF.
Gold Coast (where Rob actually lives) is a different climate to Brisbane. Change your location Rob  :P

If you look them up you will see that Brisbane is actually hotter on average for both lows and highs. How those averages happen though is very different as the coast here is much more stable (like most places). That cold event that Rob mentioned, while unusual, went below 0C (32F) here (just outside Bris) and I had ice in the ground in open areas. It would have killed a marang. In fact it killed one of my grafted jacks and a small mango that were too small to take it :( I am kicking myself for not protecting them more, it was unexpected.

Looking up La Habra, it is colder than Gold Coast and Brisbane, but if it’s a very stable 10b like GC than you would at least have a better chance than me! I wonder how the minimums compare as that would be a better comparison.

Would be keen to hear how the experiment goes :)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:28:28 PM by Ulfr »

Rob P

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 12:16:03 AM »
Comparing min. and max. temps between two places does not tell the whole story. The speed of the recovery temp during the morning and how quickly the temps drop in the evening comes into play as does the humidity and rainfall, not just how much but what part of the year gets the most amount of rain. Southern California has mostly a very warm to hot  Mediterranean type climate with mostly winter rainfall and not that much of it and fairly low humidity, the Gold Coast has a true sub-tropical mild monsoonal climate, the rainfall pattern is like that of North Queensland and other tropical places. Mid to late winter up to mid spring is the dry season, late spring to start of summer sees thunderstorms as the build up to the wet season, mid summer to mid Autumn (Jan. to April) is the wet season where rainfall and humidity peaks. If you think about it this rainfall pattern matches the growth cycle of most tropical tree crops, Marang needs some watering during our winter and spring as it originates from areas with no marked dry season. If the severe cold snap of nights (day time temps still in the low 70's) I had this mid July would have occured back when the Marang was very young (15 to 18 years ago) it probably would have died or been severely damaged. I would say that south East Queensland to the very north of North East NSW is probably the limit for growing this species here in Australia providing you have the right soil and a good micro-climate (including good wind breaks) to grow it in and of course ample irrigation. Always plant two trees to make sure your fruit is full of arils as most Marangs need cross-pollination.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk