Author Topic: Best tasting mangos of 2018  (Read 46869 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting mangos of 2018
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2018, 07:13:16 PM »
Sweet Tart had the best and most intense flavor out of everything I tried this year, However Dr. Cambell's CiciLove was easily the second best Mango wiping the floor with the Washed out Lemon Zest, OK Coco Cream, decent orange Sherbert, and few others not worth mentioning. It has a really good sweetness to it, slight acidity, and mild spice to it.... Great mango!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:34:31 PM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2018, 07:32:14 PM »
gotta Ceci Love on the counter ripening. looking forward to the introduction.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2018, 07:41:21 PM »
I just had a small CAC/COC that was eaten firm ripe and it had some excellent tasting citrus notes that I don’t recall detecting in the fully ripe fruit. It is an excellent Mango and I prefer it in this firm ripe stage.

I brought a small Piña Colada into work today to share with my coworkers and I just blew their minds! Before I even cut open the fruit, I asked my friends to smell the fruit to see what they detected. Some said it smelled like pineapples, some said it smelled real tropical fruity and one person said it smelled like the Mangos he picked from trees in Puerto Rico.

The Fruit was tiny so everyone only got a tiny piece but everyone was saying WOW and couldn’t believe how intensely sweet it was. I was at work and forgot to bring my refractometer but this PC was very very sweet with excellent acidity.  I haven’t had a Sweet Tart, yet, this year but from my memory, I think I prefer the Piña Colada over the Sweet Tart.

The flesh for the Piña Colada is not as dense as the Sweet Tart but it is a very dense flesh. I don’t have a Sweet Tart in front of me but from my recollection, the Sweet Tart does not have a very strong smell when ripe. The Piña Colada smells absolutely intoxicating!

I personally prefer the Piña Colada over the Sweet Tart because it has that Tropical Mango taste mixed in with the sweetness and acidity. This combined with the heavenly scent easily pushes Piña Colada into my top ten list if not top three.
Pictures of CAC/COC Fruit, I didn’t take pictures of the Piña Colada

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2018, 07:46:28 PM »
If your mangoes came from Florida, it's been a bad mango year in terms of flavor. Lots of washed out / low brix mangoes this year. Every single cultivar I've tested is below normal in brix.

Sweet Tart had the best and most intense flavor out of everything I tried this year, However Dr. Cambell's CiciLove was easily the second best Mango wiping the floor with the Washed out Lemon Zest, OK Coco Cream, decent orange Sherbert, and few others not worth mentioning. It has a really good sweetness to it, slight acidity, and mild spic to it.... Great mango!
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2018, 07:49:48 PM »
You hit the nail on the head. Cac are delicious at that stage. They also have a bit of sweet tart mango spice near the skin. When fully ripe, they are sweeter, but the fruit develops a bit of a musky flavor and the spice is less pronounced.

I just had a small CAC/COC that was eaten firm ripe and it had some excellent tasting citrus notes that I don’t recall detecting in the fully ripe fruit. It is an excellent Mango and I prefer it in this firm ripe stage.

I brought a small Piña Colada into work today to share with my coworkers and I just blew their minds! Before I even cut open the fruit, I asked my friends to smell the fruit to see what they detected. Some said it smelled like pineapples, some said it smelled real tropical fruity and one person said it smelled like the Mangos he picked from trees in Puerto Rico.

The Fruit was tiny so everyone only got a tiny piece but everyone was saying WOW and couldn’t believe how intensely sweet it was. I was at work and forgot to bring my refractometer but this PC was very very sweet with excellent acidity.  I haven’t had a Sweet Tart, yet, this year but from my memory, I think I prefer the Piña Colada over the Sweet Tart.

The flesh for the Piña Colada is not as dense as the Sweet Tart but it is a very dense flesh. I don’t have a Sweet Tart in front of me but from my recollection, the Sweet Tart does not have a very strong smell when ripe. The Piña Colada smells absolutely intoxicating!

I personally prefer the Piña Colada over the Sweet Tart because it has that Tropical Mango taste mixed in with the sweetness and acidity. This combined with the heavenly scent easily pushes Piña Colada into my top ten list if not top three.
Pictures of CAC/COC Fruit, I didn’t take pictures of the Piña Colada

Simon

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »
If your mangoes came from Florida, it's been a bad mango year in terms of flavor. Lots of washed out / low brix mangoes this year. Every single cultivar I've tested is below normal in brix.

Sweet Tart had the best and most intense flavor out of everything I tried this year, However Dr. Cambell's CiciLove was easily the second best Mango wiping the floor with the Washed out Lemon Zest, OK Coco Cream, decent orange Sherbert, and few others not worth mentioning. It has a really good sweetness to it, slight acidity, and mild spic to it.... Great mango!

Hello Cookie Monster

It is a weird year. LZ and Carrie have both been fantastic. BUT
There are no valencia pride or cushman mangoes at all.
Pickering  and Dupuis were washed out ( both sparse) .Bailey's marvel was just weird( didn't ripen normally) and the Fairchilds are really small ( taste yet to be determined)
Harvest Moon mangoes are still not ripe yet so time will tell.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2018, 10:11:27 PM »
My LZ have been great, but carrie was off for me. Brix was down across the board (even for LZ). However, since LZ normally has off-the-charts brix, a 15% decrease doesn't affect flavor much -- akin to the multi-millionaire who loses a couple hundred grand.

Hello Cookie Monster

Pickering  and Dupuis were washed out ( both sparse) .Bailey's marvel was just weird( didn't ripen normally) and the Fairchilds are really small ( taste yet to be determined)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2018, 06:51:18 PM »
My LZ have been great, but carrie was off for me. Brix was down across the board (even for LZ). However, since LZ normally has off-the-charts brix, a 15% decrease doesn't affect flavor much -- akin to the multi-millionaire who loses a couple hundred grand.

Hello Cookie Monster

How has your experience been as far as the severity of the decrease in brix due to early picking of the LZ? I ask because I bought several from dr Campbell that were picked early IMO and they were at best, bland.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2018, 11:44:58 PM »
Yah, I think he picked them too early. That would make a significant difference.

How has your experience been as far as the severity of the decrease in brix due to early picking of the LZ? I ask because I bought several from dr Campbell that were picked early IMO and they were at best, bland.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2018, 08:14:26 AM »
Got a few fruits from Alex and a few other places.
First really big spread of the year

We sampled Edward, Edgar, Van Dyke and Cac.
All delicious though the Van Dyke could have used another day or to

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2018, 05:58:04 PM »
Seems to be a watery year.  But has anyone else noticed that Hadens are tasting really, really good though?  Normally I hate them but my tree has been on fire with good ones this year.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2018, 08:39:30 PM »
Sweet Tart wins again....but I’m partial to anything sour or tart. The sugar in this one was quite high, despite eating it a day or two early

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:33:33 AM by Johnny Redland »

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2018, 08:36:50 AM »
Seems to be a watery year.  But has anyone else noticed that Hadens are tasting really, really good though?  Normally I hate them but my tree has been on fire with good ones this year.

Yup, Haden is really good in Naples.
- Marley

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2018, 09:49:33 AM »
My moms Haden tree was really good this year too. Not a very productive year but fruit was very tasty.

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2018, 01:43:26 PM »
A couple of firsts for me ....... I let a few fruit stay on my newly planted grove so I could try a couple of varieties that I haven't had before

Val Carrie was excellent

Venus was excellent ..... they fell of early in a storm but ripened up perfect

I also tried a Haden from my neighbors tree and thought it was great

I have had it before but Carrie was also great as was cogshall

Glenn and Pickering washed out ....... coconut cream picked to early

I have one lemon zest I'm hopeing will make it so I can try it

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2018, 02:14:00 AM »

Simon

Last year I got smacked a little for grouping it with others in citrus flavor family  ;)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2018, 02:10:24 PM »
I was surprised at how citrusy it was. I did eat it before it was 100% soft and prefer it that way. It’s amazing how different the flavor is depending on the stage of ripeness. Sweet Tart is another mango that tastes very different depending on the stage of ripeness. When eaten early, it favors the acidity, when eaten fully ripe, it is very sweet with much less perceived acidity. When eaten at the perfect stage, which is different for each individual, it is a perfect balance of sweetness and acidic balance. Finding that sweet spot is half the fun.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2018, 02:33:12 PM »
Any mango eaten before uts ripe will have a "cutrusy" or greater acidic compound.  That, hiwever, does not mean fhat the certain variety in question's normal flavir profike us citrus.

Having eaten a number of ripe Cac/Coc from multiple sources.. flavor profile is not one I would classify as citrusy.

Same can be said when one says LZ and ST are tart and even chalky...its because they are being eaten when they are not ripe.  This was a majir issue before ST was released and was known as C1 and when ST name was first revealed.  Fruit were being picked way too much on the green side, they stayed tart to sour, chalky and never ripened or colored but just remained green and wrinkled with time.
- Rob

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2018, 07:44:26 PM »
Rob, you have a point. Probably any mango eaten a bit under ripe can have a citrusy taste to it. Knowing at what stage of ripeness each individual prefers for each variety is a skill that I look forward to perfecting.

Simon

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2018, 09:46:41 PM »
Had my first Peach Cobbler vs. the second Lemon Zest, The PC won decisively and it was a pretty good LZ. I am impressed by P.C and can only imagine what the later ripening ones are going to taste like.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2018, 03:13:10 PM »
Just returned from Matt Reeces mango tasting yesterday

Dr Cambell brought some of his new types and Matt went to Zills and brought back some of their new types. 

Winners in my opinion

Bolt
Fruit Cocktail
Ceci Love
Pineapple Pleasure

And clear winner the E - 4 Sugarloaf

After eating that one the sweet tart and Orange Sherbet didn’t taste as sweet.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 04:51:18 PM by WGphil »

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2018, 10:04:56 AM »
Pineapple pleasure has been my favorite so far...great flavor, amazing texture and wonderfully juicy.....other excellent mangos have been edward, duncan, lengra and angie

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2018, 10:07:04 AM »
Must be loads of E-4 'S being sold for I tasted it too. I thought I would hear more about the M-4 but I guess not.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2018, 10:39:02 AM »
Must be loads of E-4 'S being sold for I tasted it too. I thought I would hear more about the M-4 but I guess not.

While I cant guarantee what may be available  however M-4 is later in the season.
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2018, 11:02:21 AM »
Finally tried Coconut Cream. Definitely my favorite this year. Wonderful mango, juicy and smooth texture, flavors were great and well balanced.

Maha Chanok is probably #2 for me. Must've been the right time, because it was amazing and complex. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:42:06 AM by roblack »