Author Topic: Excalibur Red grafted trees from Excalibur  (Read 7724 times)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Excalibur Red grafted trees from Excalibur
« on: October 01, 2018, 01:09:22 PM »
How many people here have fruited their Excalibur Red jackfruit trees that they bought from Excalibur? I have a friend that got their first fruit this year and it wasn't the right tree. The fruit came out light yellow. They bought the tree directly from Excalibur about 4 or 5 years ago.

I have one in the ground but it was purchased from them 2-3 years ago.

Hopefully this was just a fluke and large batches for extended amounts of time weren't mixed up. I am really looking forward to seeing and eating this one in person.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 01:15:34 PM by Vernmented »
-Josh

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Excalibur Red grafted trees from Excalibur
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 10:23:45 AM »

Here's my Excalibur red jackfruit.  It's fruiting for the first time and has already set five fruit, I'm going to limit it at three or four fruit this year.

Unless the color changes as the tree matures I guess I got a mislabeled Excalibur Red. Does anyone have any idea what cultivar this is?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 10:39:28 AM »
I had the same experience.  My Excalibur red still has the original label that came with the tree.  The fruit is not red.
The worst is that I have grafted this material and sold some of the trees in my nursery!
What to do...

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 11:04:29 AM »
:D Same experience here. Except mine was from budwood that came from the mother tree. Someone must be color blind.
Jeff  :-)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »

:D Same experience here. Except mine was from budwood that came from the mother tree. Someone must be color blind.

That is terrible. I have an Excalibur Red in the ground and I expect fruit off it in  couple of years...I have already been burned once; the Bangkok Lemon I got from   Excalibur, which I later realized was a seedling and not a grafted one, turned out to be a soft fleshed variety.  The nursery is now talking up Timor Red, but they are yet to release it.

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »

That is terrible. I have an Excalibur Red in the ground and I expect fruit off it in  couple of years...I have already been burned once; the Bangkok Lemon I got from   Excalibur, which I later realized was a seedling and not a grafted one, turned out to be a soft fleshed variety.  The nursery is now talking up Timor Red, but they are yet to release it.

So disappointing. Our Bangkok Lemon seems to be the real one (delicious and crunchy) but our Excalibur Red clearly isn’t- the fruit doesn’t have a great flavor either. Our email to Excalibur about the problem was never returned.

If the mother tree has light flavored flesh, what tree did the fruit posted years ago (which looks red/Orange) come from that state it’s Excalibr Red?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:53:53 PM by geosulcata »

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 08:33:01 PM »
So is there anyone on the forum that purchased and Excalibur Red tree that got fruit like this.

This fruit is supposedly cleaned Excalibur Red fruit purchased from Excalibur. The picture came from this thread.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4856.50

Does anyone have a picture of Excalibur Red fruit?

I also grafted a tree. Good thing I didn't sell it yet. This is crazy.

-Josh

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 08:47:43 PM »
So is there anyone on the forum that purchased and Excalibur Red tree that got fruit like this.

This fruit is supposedly cleaned Excalibur Red fruit purchased from Excalibur. The picture came from this thread.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4856.50

Does anyone have a picture of Excalibur Red fruit?

I think this one is not crispy, looks like old variety we have, soft one...
I also grafted a tree. Good thing I didn't sell it yet. This is crazy.

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 08:49:18 PM »
Well, that's a bummer! I bought an Excalibur Red earlier this year based on the pictures and descriptions of it being a superior variety, on this forum.
For those of you who have tasted it, how would you rate it? I would be ok with the color not matching the description as long as the flavor was good.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 09:03:52 PM »

Was that from the budwood I brought you a few years ago?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 10:18:08 PM »
Yes.

Was that from the budwood I brought you a few years ago?
Jeff  :-)

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 05:28:21 AM »
Well, that's a bummer! I bought an Excalibur Red earlier this year based on the pictures and descriptions of it being a superior variety, on this forum.
For those of you who have tasted it, how would you rate it? I would be ok with the color not matching the description as long as the flavor was good.
Flavor of ours was similar to imported jackfruit - some sweetness with mild hints of cantaloupe and banana, but musty. The texture was crunchy, but flavor makes it unworthy of grafting imo.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 03:39:13 PM »
Rob is probably the one with the most tasting experience. I bought my Excalibur red there 2 or 3 years ago. No fruit yet but there were some male flowers. It was blown over in Irma last year and the roots haven’t fully re established so it may be another couple of years to get fruit from the tree.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 10:19:26 AM »
I also bought an Excalaber Red and it produced 16 fruit on first fruiting,at 3 years old, the fruit had a slight red tint and was firm or crisp, with a nice taste. ive only tried 3 other kinds of Jak before  and it's my limited experience it seemed very good..I've tasted  ns1, bankok lemon,Amber/berry cross
And it seemed as good as them, but this was from memory..
There was no laytex at all

Www.sailing-charters.org

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 04:58:51 PM »
I also bought an Excalaber Red and it produced 16 fruit on first fruiting,at 3 years old, the fruit had a slight red tint and was firm or crisp, with a nice taste. ive only tried 3 other kinds of Jak before  and it's my limited experience it seemed very good..I've tasted  ns1, bankok lemon,Amber/berry cross

That bunch at the bottom appear to be below the graft and from the rootstock.  Very common for this to happen.  Who knows what type of fruit the rootstock came from.
- Rob

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »
Seems it's above the graft, as the fruit that was up highis same as the ones down low
Www.sailing-charters.org

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 04:01:08 PM »
Mine was definitely above the graft, from a branch about 6’ above the ground.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 09:22:51 PM »
I also got a private message from someone that got a red fleshed fruit from yellow colored grafted tree purchased from Excalibur. I think there is some serious mislabeling on the jackfruits. If anyone out there has fruited the real Excalibur Red I would love to see pictures of the fruit.
-Josh

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 10:16:51 PM »
My son and I were staying with Gary Zill and we all went to Excalibur and got a 3 hour tour with Richard Wilson in a golf cart of the whole facility.  It was an amazing afternoon, there is a lot of incredible material there.  Gary and I both got a few plants there that were subsequently sent to Costa Rica with their original labels.  The 'gold' Jakfruit has produced and is not red, but yellow as promoted.  The 'red' is yellow and of average quality so far.
I understand and appreciate that Jakfruit can improve with time but this appears too wide of the mark.
Peter

DocFruitFly

• Palmetto, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 07:59:14 AM »
Just curious, but did anyone ever get a response from Excalibur about this?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 11:40:16 AM »
By far the best Jak I ever ate was at Excalibur, and it was deep orangish-red.  I don't know if it was the Dang Suriya/Red Morning, or the Excalibur Red, or the Cristela.

I have heard also of some trees sold as Cristela which ended up giving yellow-fleshed fruit.

I have heard of trees marked not-for-sale, intended to be kept for graftwood, having been sold anyway by salespersons.

This is something EVERYBODY wants to get figured out.

I am one of the persons who has grafted Jaks at Excalibur....

P.S.  No such thing as Timor Red, but one with a similar-sounding name may be released eventually--- not easy to propagate.
Har

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 01:30:00 PM »
I want to say that Excalibur is an absolutely incredible germplasm collection. I was lucky enough to be driven around by Linda and had a lovely tour. Rob Lawracy is a great guy and I wish I lived closer so we could get some fruit hangout time.

but..........

This issues seem to be crossing multiple species and cultivars. They have a massive operation with quite a few different staff members. Things do get mixed up from time to time from other nurseries that I have dealt with. A big issue I see here is that this has been going on for an extended period of time. It seems like bad business practice to me to ignore customer feedback.

It is reprehensible knowingly selling mislabeled trees. That is where this forum steps in and weeds through the BS.

I hope that they fruit and properly ID the mother trees and permanently tag them, eliminate suspect trees for resale and get the top tier accurately labeled genetics out there. There is also no one else to blame with some of these. They are selections straight from Excalibur.

After all these years of selling Excalibur Red trees, many to forum members, does anyone have a picture of the fruit from their tree that had the proper coloring? Please please please post a picture.

Richard Wilson has built an incredible collection. I hope they fix whatever sloppiness has occurred. I had always referred people to them.

-Josh

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 07:51:29 PM »

Wow that tree is only 3 years old?!! I know they grow rapidly but holy moly

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 03:22:15 AM »
Yes,  three years old, from a 3-gallon pot, when the first fruit appeared.. optimal growing conditions heavy manure mix mulch 18 in thick, out to just around the the drip line, and irrigation three times a week...
I also would foliar feed it with miners and 8-3-9
Www.sailing-charters.org

TerraFrutisEcuador

• Morona-Santiago Province, Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2018, 10:29:45 PM »
Any experiences with Red morning fruits? I have collected a handful of jackfruits and transported them internationally from Excalibur nursery, Including Excalibur red.

People have been killed for lesser crimes..