Author Topic: I think I found the old school Florida Peach Mango  (Read 1536 times)

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
I think I found the old school Florida Peach Mango
« on: July 13, 2019, 08:22:40 PM »
Hello,

I think I found at least a 70+ year old tree that is the original Peach Mango.  I promised the older gentleman that once I present this fruit to the community I'll make sure he makes his money off of it because Im not greedy.  I will be grafting it on to seedling rootstock and I will keep you all posted on the progress.  Any oldschool Mango guys on here that confirm this variety?  Its definitely got a true peach flavor to it with a beautiful color to it.  The leaves when broken also give off the potent peach smell to it.

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: I think I found the old school Florida Peach Mango
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 08:27:01 PM »
Looks like a haden to me. They can taste peachy.
- Colin

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 08:33:47 PM »
All of the Peach mangos I have seen are tiny and fully yellow when ripe. That does look like Haden. I wouldn't plan on making any money off of that.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 10:12:13 PM »
Nice shoes

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 10:54:29 PM »
Thank you for the shoes compliment lol!  You know Ive had a lot of Hadens to know this isnt one.  It's obviously a seedling or something related to it but it doesnt have the Haden taste I love.  Its also a lot smaller than a haden.  These old guys were calling them peach mangoes so I went with it.  The pictures below are Hadens. They always have that signature shape and size these were a lot smaller smaller and very peachy but much more juicier than a Haden.  I'd love to share some with anyone from Florida who might know what these are.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 11:48:10 PM »
A decent mango will have a peach like flavor. A good to great mango will blow a peach out of the water imo

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 07:05:30 AM »
Wow that reminds me of the mango I have here. Its also a 70+ yr old tree and the fruits are a flavor of mixed peach and oranges with mango. The fruit also turn crimson red when in full sun.

The fruit are slightly acid but very sweet and juicy.  Fiberless and They also have a stronger flavor than hadens.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 07:09:00 AM »
My farher grew out a seed over 15 yrs back from it and it turned out to be another great mango. We call these “Jambalana” Mangoes

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 07:11:47 AM »
The average size fruits on our peachy tree weigh 1.2 lbs. I think its most likely a seedling of haden or similar cultivar

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 08:30:33 AM »
The average size fruits on our peachy tree weigh 1.2 lbs. I think its most likely a seedling of haden or similar cultivar
  Real good looking Mango.  I miss Fort Myers.  I lived there for 7 years before coming back to east coast.  How do your trees produce out there?

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 08:44:42 AM »
Wow that reminds me of the mango I have here. Its also a 70+ yr old tree and the fruits are a flavor of mixed peach and oranges with mango. The fruit also turn crimson red when in full sun.

The fruit are slightly acid but very sweet and juicy.  Fiberless and They also have a stronger flavor than hadens.
  Move over Irwin Mango lol.  Im just kidding.  I love the mystery behind Florida Mango seedlings.  I know a woman with a East Indian seedling tree for example that has a potent spicy smell on the outside.  It almost smells chemical like but very strong unlike any East Indian Ive ever smelled. I didnt want it at first but once I bit into it I was really impressed.  A lot of fiber but It was like stinky candy you wanted more and more of lol.  I can't wait until next year when I can actually get some fruit from the tree.