Author Topic: Top Tropicals Inconsistencies  (Read 1838 times)

the_higher_self

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Top Tropicals Inconsistencies
« on: March 19, 2020, 02:52:02 PM »
So I just recieved an M4 Mango tree from Top Tropicals which I have been waiting for them to restock. I ordered from them before and all the trees were an excellent size and condition compared to Plantogram which has been great too, except for the scraggle Achacha they sent me. Anyways, this M4 mango tree was some straight BS. If I were David and the Gnomes I'd be stoked but this gust of wind twig snap graft was not what I expected. Perhaps my previous orders were anomalies or this one might be, dunno. I'm hoping some of you with experience ordering from them can tell me it's a fluke and typically a one foot tree being sent is a mistake. Am I buggin?

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Re: Top Tropicals Inconsistencies
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 04:12:39 PM »
The M4 I got from Top Tropicals was also very small. I picked mine up in person last April and in the past year has grown nicely. I was initially hesitant to get such a small, recently-grafted tree, but have been pleasantly surprised with how well it's done. It's actually flowering right now. I was told sometimes a smaller tree can establish itself better/faster than one that's been potted for a while. Mine was put in the ground right away. If yours is outwardly healthy, I wouldn't stress too much.

Here's mine when it was first planted:

And here it is February 7:

Good luck!

EnglewoodFlorida

• Englewood, FL 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 04:23:39 PM »
I've noticed a bunch of places and persons trying to push out grafted trees to soon recently.. I guess the demand is so high they just keep pushing them out the door as quick as possible instead of letting them take and grow more.   I even see newly grafted trees with the grafting tape still on them being sold online now.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 05:39:11 PM »
The trees Ive gotten from TopTropicals were okay, but I would prefer another supplier unless TT is the only source.  They are very expensive also

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 12:46:47 PM »
Do you have a picture of the tree? I actually prefer the smaller trees so they aren’t root bound into the 3 gal pot after already being rootbound into a 1 gal. It’s not super clear but fliptop’s tree looks like it originated from Zill’s due the yellow tag and what appears to be a bud graft. It’s funny all these sellers ship out stuff from there even through they are grown on the ground and don’t conform to the nematode inspection standards. But hey, everyone else is doing it. There is such a high demand for mangos that Zill’s plants have been smaller than in the past and I have heard other people complain about it. I think they even put up a Facebook post to tell people to stop complaining. As long as the grafts don’t break off I prefer the fresh ones.
-Josh

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »
I haven't bought trees from them personally but it seems from all the previous threads on the forum there are a lot of mix-ups.

As for price vs size, most people don't seem to care and just want the newest stuff the fastest.
To much demand, unfortunately.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 01:16:14 PM »
Do you have a picture of the tree? I actually prefer the smaller trees so they aren’t root bound into the 3 gal pot after already being rootbound into a 1 gal. It’s not super clear but fliptop’s tree looks like it originated from Zill’s due the yellow tag and what appears to be a bud graft. It’s funny all these sellers ship out stuff from there even through they are grown on the ground and don’t conform to the nematode inspection standards. But hey, everyone else is doing it. There is such a high demand for mangos that Zill’s plants have been smaller than in the past and I have heard other people complain about it. I think they even put up a Facebook post to tell people to stop complaining. As long as the grafts don’t break off I prefer the fresh ones.

Thats a good point about not being elevated. I guess once the reseller has them above the ground they inspector can't really do a thing.
I inquired about the phyto stuff from our local inspector and that seemed like too much work.
Also, the one cert cost more than a plant at retail cost so it wasn't worth the effort for me.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 12:53:07 AM »
I hate them with a passion.  They over charge me and send me wrong item and I asked them to replace it And they say they don’t send to california.  They gave me my money back.  It took me two years to realize they sent me the wrong tree because it took that long for the tree to fruit. 

jorge_cima

• Zone 10B, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 06:49:44 PM »
I have not had a lot of luck with them, only with their soilless mix. I bought a Maha Chanok from them about 5 yrs ago. I pulled it out of the box and the tree was dehydrated, so I contacted them immediately and did everything I was told to do. The tree died within about 5 days or so. They refused to refund my money.  Then I bought a "Mun Kun See" mango tree and what they send me gre pretty nicely, except is not a mun kun see, is a pim sen mun.  I dont believe I would buy any other trees from them. Their soil mixes for potted plants are really good, I hve a 15 y/o adenium that was not doing well, had not bloomed in years. I bought their Adenium mix and within three months the tree was full of flowers.

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 09:50:20 AM »
I've had a high incidence of mislabels even when shopping in person when they had a retail nursery in the fort myers area (since moved).

Given the prices they charge and the wide variety they claim to carry i'd say it's probably a marketing strategy to maximize sales more than it is to be accurate and buyer beware.
- Colin