Author Topic: Best potting soil for mango trees?  (Read 14908 times)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Best potting soil for mango trees?
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
I have a few trees that I want to put in the next size up in order to buy some time until I can clear out some room for them. I have read up on the "Gritty Mix" and that seems to be more appropriate for long term container planting. The Mix that is in the pots from ZHPP is a proprietary secret so it is not available. Your experiences and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Fafard commercial mix and another where already recommended to me but I was hoping to be able to produce something on my own and save a bunch of money.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best potting soil for mango trees?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:51:49 PM »
Whatever you use, make sure it has good drainage. Sometimes it can actually be more expensive to create your own mix because you have to buy lots of different bags of ingredients and combine them together. Many of the nurseries in my area now carry an inexpensive citrus/Tropicalfruit container mix that is fast draining, the correct pH and also has lots of added organic amendments like worm castings, kelp etc. Try talking to your local nurseryman, they can probably recommend a less expensive mix that will suit your needs.

Simon

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »
Just use the dirt/sand that is in your yard now.  No reason to buy any.  Just shovel it in a container and away you go!   I wouldn't do that for nematode sensitive plants but mango you don't need a sterile mix.   If you do buy commercial potting mix you can mix in perlite to improve drainage.   rockledge gardens sells big bags of it. or order online. 

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 04:06:55 PM »
I do have some perlite on hand, I mix it with the compost I was getting from the orange county land fill on young pine but they wont have any more for a long time. The compost works great in my vegetable garden but probably holds too much water for the mango roots. I was considering a mix of shredded cypress mulch, pine bark or even the mellaluca mulch as an additive to the compost along with some coarse grade builders sand or perlite maybe some yard soil mixed in to kick start the microbes ?  I have not made it to Rockledge gardens to check out what they have but I will do it soon.

mangobaby

• Houston
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 08:57:45 PM »
I used gritty mix on my Maha Chanok mango, it has been in the pot for about 5 years now and is doing well compared to mangoes planted in regular potting mixes. (I am in Houston TX)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:08:26 PM »
It does look like it is in good shape. Did you make your own mix?

mangobaby

• Houston
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:17:38 PM »
Yes 1:1:1 ratio of pine bark, chicken grit and turface.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »
that might be what I have to do if it is cost effective.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 09:29:49 PM »
do you use a liquid fertilizer?

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 09:30:22 PM »
I use Fafard 3B mix on all my mango trees in containers. Here are a couple of pictures of my Maha Chanok taken on December 22, 2016.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:41:38 PM »
Fine looking trees.  Did you choose the fafard mix based on economy, or convenience? My intention is to move the trees up to the next size to buy some time to cut some oak trees down, Might be a while but I plan on putting them in the ground. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend a bunch for something temporary. What does the fafard seem to be composed of?

bigalxx15

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 10:30:35 PM »
Thanks Mangomongo. I purchased most of my mango trees from Rob (bsbullie) and he recommended I use Fafard 3B mix since I was going to grow everything in containers. Fafard 3B mix contains Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, bark, perlite, Dolomitic Limestone, and wetting agent. I have good success growing
most everything in this soil mix as it drains well.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 10:39:35 PM »
Thanks Mangomongo. I purchased most of my mango trees from Rob (bsbullie) and he recommended I use Fafard 3B mix since I was going to grow everything in containers. Fafard 3B mix contains Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, bark, perlite, Dolomitic Limestone, and wetting agent. I have good success growing
most everything in this soil mix as it drains well.

It appears they have changed the formulation and the 3B now contains a "fertilizer" called RESILIENCE.  If you can fi d them, try using one if the above 3 Fafard mixes.
- Rob

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 09:31:09 AM »
That sounds like the way to go. thanks again for the excellent advice. Im sure it will go a good ways if Im just up-potting.

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 11:44:12 PM »
I use Fafard 3B mix on all my mango trees in containers. Here are a couple of pictures of my Maha Chanok taken on December 22, 2016.

Bigalxx, who do you source the fafard from? I'm not too far from you and want to know who carries if locally.
Thanks,
Keith

Robdallek

• USA FL Fort Myers 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 07:54:22 AM »
What kind of cost can I expect on the Fafard 3 mix?   How far will a bag go for say a 15 gallon pot?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 08:05:20 AM »
What kind of cost can I expect on the Fafard 3 mix?   How far will a bag go for say a 15 gallon pot?

Maybe $15 - $20 per bag and would prbably let you llant two 15 gal pots.
- Rob

Robdallek

• USA FL Fort Myers 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
I don't see a supplier in Fort Myers area---will need to research.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 07:48:39 PM »
the compost I was getting from the orange county land fill on young pine but they wont have any more for a long time. 

http://www.wastemap.org/Facility-Profile.cfm?idsFacility=108
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Orange+County,+FL/@28.5652557,-81.8251991,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88e79856a12e4b2d:0x44c1db9bdd1af34b!8m2!3d28.4844995!4d-81.2518833

Wanted to save the California folks from driving around looking for it. Some are apparently unaware that Florida has an Orange County  were Walt Disney World is primarily located as well as Orlando, Winter Park, and MCO (Orlando International Airport).

lol   ;D So if you try going to the Orange County land fill,  make sure your picking the correct state.    ;D

bigalxx15

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »
Kalan,

I have a friend that owns a landscaping business and he buys a lot of supplies from BWI in Homestead,
Florida. If I remember correctly I paid around $12.00 per bag.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »
that might be what I have to do if it is cost effective.

To make gritty mix properly with quality products its not that cheap plus I would not recommend it...especially since you said this is more temporary.  I think Nancy, puglver tried it and does not recommend it.
- Rob

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 08:26:58 AM »

thats a good price

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 08:29:16 AM »

Yes, our orange county,FL compost is primaraly comprised of mouse droppings.  :o

the compost I was getting from the orange county land fill on young pine but they wont have any more for a long time. 

http://www.wastemap.org/Facility-Profile.cfm?idsFacility=108
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Orange+County,+FL/@28.5652557,-81.8251991,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88e79856a12e4b2d:0x44c1db9bdd1af34b!8m2!3d28.4844995!4d-81.2518833

Wanted to save the California folks from driving around looking for it. Some are apparently unaware that Florida has an Orange County  were Walt Disney World is primarily located as well as Orlando, Winter Park, and MCO (Orlando International Airport).

lol   ;D So if you try going to the Orange County land fill,  make sure your picking the correct state.    ;D

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 09:37:41 AM »
Echo in Fort myers sells the farfard mix $20 for 2.8 cubic foot bag

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk