Author Topic: Who is growing new/newer Zill varieties in/near Brevard?  (Read 2440 times)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Who is growing new/newer Zill varieties in/near Brevard?
« on: February 10, 2017, 09:57:28 AM »
More specifically who has fruiting trees and is willing to share/sell some of the new stuff in the area. I plan to make the trip south for the season but would really like to find some to try closer. Also to see what does well taste wise in my area. I have several new varieties that will not be ready to fruit for a while but will be willing to return any favors.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Who is growing new/newer Zill varieties in/near Brevard?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 10:28:49 AM »
I have LZ, Sweet tart, Fruit punch and Coco cream. LZ is producing. The others are on the smaller side and I havent decided if I will let them fruit yet. The sweet tart could hold some if it flowers. But, I would be happy to let you taste if I get some. ;D

E.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 10:47:16 AM »
Another thread on this?  This has been beatej to death in many previous threads.   Please use the forum's search feature...
- Rob

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 11:08:57 AM »
Many thanks, I have a sweet tart as well. new to me in a 25gl size, it's a beast and just starting to swell at the buds. I might let it hold onto some and then put it into the ground.  LZ is 7gl just potted up to 15 until I can take out an oak tree, it's starting to bud too.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »
Another thread on this?  This has been beatej to death in many previous threads.   Please use the forum's search feature...
I actually did do a couple of searches but didn't see what I was specifically looking for. Didn't mean to be inconsiderate by any means. I also considered the age of "old" threads and the relevance considering all of the new verities. Also trying to clear my schedule to attend a Brevard Rare fruit counsel meeting.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 02:32:27 PM »
Come on this forum is kinda dead.  Who cares if Sweet Tart mango is rehashed for Brevard County.  It is nearly spring so just perhaps this fruit forum might get some new participants.

And yo! How about that LZ I've been hearing about. And that bouncing Betty?

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 01:19:44 PM »
Chris Rollins will be the speaker at the Brevard meeting this month

Noris Ledesma will be there in march

Good time to visit

Feb. 22 is the next meeting

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 08:36:24 AM »
Seems it's always when I'm on shift.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 01:37:04 PM »
I have a question... So where is the closest place to go from Brevard County to try all the newer Zill varieties so we can decide what we want to plant? Looking to try Cotton Candy and Phoenix that Rob has been talking about. Kathy, OE, Guava, Venus, Ugly betty and a couple others would be nice to try also. Any advice? Thanks!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 02:04:44 PM »
I have a question... So where is the closest place to go from Brevard County to try all the newer Zill varieties so we can decide what we want to plant? Looking to try Cotton Candy and Phoenix that Rob has been talking about. Kathy, OE, Guava, Venus, Ugly betty and a couple others would be nice to try also. Any advice? Thanks!

Will be tough to source any of the brand new ones anywhere but down here.  Depending on how bad budwood was harvested from the trees, availability of Cotton Candy,  Phoenix,  Kathy,  OE may be limited to about nothing.  In any event, dont think these will be found other than coming from SFla.  Venus could be found in other locations but mainly sourced from SFla.  Guava, from Walter Zill only.  UB,  potentially more widely available.
- Rob

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 02:25:39 PM »
I have not been able to locate anyone with the mentioned varieties in our area except for a few newly planted 3gl trees in privet collections. I will be making the trip to tropical acres which appears to be the closest or only availability.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk