Author Topic: Loam?  (Read 905 times)

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
Loam?
« on: August 30, 2020, 05:03:53 PM »
The lot i've been working on (for future mangos) has what my pops calls loam, all around old brazil pepper tree stumps, trees ect.
It's brownish almost golden, not red like fresh cut pep tree chips.  Should i be making a pile of it for something instead of putting it out for tree collection day? 

Where mango trees will be have 6-12" of topsoil we put down a few months ago, not loam.  I'll ikely need sand to mix with topsoil where trees go. ?

Thanks,
Ed

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Loam?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 05:30:59 PM »
Loam is really a name for good soils with an ideal composition of clay, silt and sand proportions. I think you are talking about the high carbon humus of partly broken down wood dust. If it is the best thing is to mix it with soil and not use it pure or use it as a top dressing. This stuff retains water and nutrients really well and will assimilate with the soil to make it better.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 07:31:38 PM »
Thank you.  If i'm working that area tomorrow, i'll rake some & take a photo but it rained a lot (a good thing).
Yes it seems like a sponge for holding water.  Heavy wet.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 10:42:30 AM »
We are on solid coral bed - garden was not draining for weeks, plus no "soil" at all, maybe an inch... so we decided to bring in truckloads of muck mixed with organic matter and heavily mulched that, added mycorrhizae and some organic stuff like bunny poo and such. Now we have probably 2 ft deep soil that is turning into super rich compost-soil mix thanks to millipede and worm activity, mycos and general decomposition of organic matter. We do not remove any organic matter from the garden, mulch and chop and drop and barely get any flooding - organic matter and muck act as sponge and absorb all extra moisture and release it to the plants. Everything seems to thrive without chemical fertilization and irrigation. 

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 02:34:20 PM »
Even soil that is deep sand and drains well benefits from the addition of organic matter.  My flower beds had beautiful soil after a few years, and all the mulch I constantly placed around my fruit trees broke down very rapidly.
John

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 08:06:14 PM »
Been quite busy, sorry it took me so long to post pics.  This year is passing by warp speed.
The stuff i questioned being loam's a foot deep in some spots.  Sponge, push on it, pops back up.  Blast it with garden hose to settle & sounds hollow & stays put.  When time comes to grade with topsoil, i'll take a pile out first.  Maybe put it around areca palm bases?  I was just curious what loam is and more puzzling what created it?  Ants chewed up old trees?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 09:34:09 PM by EddieF »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 08:42:12 PM »
You may want to avoid planting in an area where pepper trees have grown due to allelopathogens which may hinder the growth of your desired tree.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 09:35:58 PM »
This was months ago after i cleared area & mulched.  Arecas were planted after clearing for fence vs pvc & cost same.  Sorry i messed up photo.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 09:37:47 PM »
Oolie, explain.  Thank you.  Planning mangos but not there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk