Author Topic: Can you dwarf a longan tree  (Read 10596 times)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Can you dwarf a longan tree
« on: March 13, 2014, 06:21:37 PM »
I have many Longan trees growing but they get pretty big, Just wondering if i can keep it at about 7-10 feet tall and trimmed like a christmas tree in a way about 6 feet wide without any problems. Any experience.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Can you dwarf a longan tree
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »
I don't think you can. Mine grows 4 ft a year and I keep cutting it back. I don't want to cut off too many branches that will give fruits the following year.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:27:43 PM »
What if you girdle the main branches? I have put this on my to-do list for my 4 ft. longan tree. We'll see!
Thera

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 12:44:36 AM »
It would be difficult to keep small because you would always have to trim it, sounds like an experiment to me. Ill let everyone know how it works out. The space is just very limited here and I figure some fruit is better than none. I figure if people have them in greenhouses than there is a possibility  ;D

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:31:17 AM »
Maybe you could? This one seems kept about the height you describe, but looks more than 6' wide though? Cây nhản lùn

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 11:43:06 AM »
I am trying something like this. I have the plant pugged back to 1 1/2 ft tall with about a 1 1/2 inch diameter trunk. Its a kohala longan, will update you guys how it turns out. I don't really want the tree taller then 7ft. Going to keep cutting back and see how it turns out. Next cut back is probably end of the year or early next year.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 11:50:01 AM »
Wow...that is awesome....and tempting.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »
I was searching for that video but couldn't find it. You can keep it small but you have to start training it early. If you have a vigorous variety like Kohala, you may want to cut the main trunk back to about 18 inches in order to stimulate very low scaffold branches. When these lower scaffold branches start growing, you want to tip them to form low secondary branches but make sure you tip to an outward facing node.

Some varieties, most varieties, will not grow as vigorously as Kohala. You may want to start with a variety that can be kept smaller easier like Sri Chompoo or Biew Kiew.
Simon

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 12:38:39 AM »
That has to be the coolest looking longan tree, Im going to try and replicate that exactly. I have a bunch of longan seedlings from longans at the asian market so im not quite sure what variety they are but i'll give it a try. I wonder if i keep it in a 5 or 10 gallon pot and train it in that to keep the roots dwarfed for a couple years then plant it in the ground if that would work. I have many seedlings so i'll try a few different ways to master it ;D. Good tips tho, I'll try a little bit of everything. Thank you

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 05:33:58 AM »
I was searching for that video but couldn't find it. You can keep it small but you have to start training it early. If you have a vigorous variety like Kohala, you may want to cut the main trunk back to about 18 inches in order to stimulate very low scaffold branches. When these lower scaffold branches start growing, you want to tip them to form low secondary branches but make sure you tip to an outward facing node.

Some varieties, most varieties, will not grow as vigorously as Kohala. You may want to start with a variety that can be kept smaller easier like Sri Chompoo or Biew Kiew.
Simon

Yes, it all depends on what variety of longan you are talking about? Kohala gets giant, Diamond River stays very small the others are in between in size. With DR it would be very easy, Kohala very difficult, most others medium difficulty. It all depends also on how often you are willing to prune them (work) to keep them in check?
Oscar

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 03:19:20 PM »
Oscar, from your experience, which of the two is more productive? Thanks.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 10:34:58 PM »
Ive been looking it up and i believe i have the kohala variety, so even tho it may be harder to dwarf Im still willing to try it out with a couple of the seedlings but will definitely look into getting the diamond river variety. Oscar have you tried the diamond river variety and if so is it as good as the kohala, also in your opinion which is the best flavored longan as in sweetest of all variety.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 02:54:43 AM »
Oscar, from your experience, which of the two is more productive? Thanks.

You referring to DR and Kohala? DR fruits a lot faster and is much heavier bearing.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 02:58:43 AM »
Ive been looking it up and i believe i have the kohala variety, so even tho it may be harder to dwarf Im still willing to try it out with a couple of the seedlings but will definitely look into getting the diamond river variety. Oscar have you tried the diamond river variety and if so is it as good as the kohala, also in your opinion which is the best flavored longan as in sweetest of all variety.

DR is not as good as Kohala, but Kohala is a very ERRATIC bearing. Here you are lucky to get it to fruit 1 out of 10 years. Really worthless in my opinion. It needs a lot more cold than we get here. I've heard also in Florida it is not a consistent bearer, maybe 1 out of 3 or 4 years? DR is a very consistent bearer in tropics. Will fruit every single year, often has 2 crops in one year. The preferred commercial variety here is Biew Kiew.
Oscar

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 01:58:00 AM »
any updates from those of you aggressively pruning your longans?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 03:34:47 AM »
I believe you can.  Check out this Kool tree.

http://youtu.be/gRelvPXR1QM

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 04:13:12 AM »
I am at the warmest fringe where longans can still fruit as they are basically sub tropical. The trees get huge but can be controlled and partly dwarfed by heavy pruning that is more than a haircut.It needs to be structural.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 10:57:42 AM »
Been growing my Kohala in a container since 2004.  Normally get a good crop from it if I don't screw up the watering.  Mine is an air layer, which I'm sure most probably are.  This was a mail ordered tree so I didn't get to pick it.  It arrived as a very tall tree with some foliage at the very tip.  No matter how hard I pruned it, I could never get any branches to flush below the initial "Y" of the trunk.  Currently in a 45 gallon container.  Wife likes the fruit but is only okay for me.  Takes up a lot of room in the greenhouse.  Attracts scale like no other tree in the GH.  Still debating whether I want to keep it or not.  If planted into the ground, I believe it could be kept manageable for quite sometime.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 05:01:25 AM »
Daleys list a dwarf longan, not sure of their definition of dwarf, but apparently its noticably  smaller than normal.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 12:38:33 PM »
Daleys list a dwarf longan, not sure of their definition of dwarf, but apparently its noticably  smaller than normal.
Yeah, I saw that the other day.  Don't think it is available here, stateside.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 01:19:54 PM »
My friend was at Maurice Kong's place and told me about his cambodian dwarf longan. I believe it was a seedling tree. He said it was 5' tall x 8' wide and about 10 years old. I am going to keep my biew kiew pruned back but it is still young so I can't give any first hand experience. I am planning on replacing one main scaffolding branch each year after harvest once it gets around the size I want since it fruits on new wood.
-Josh