Author Topic: Looking for opinions on highest quality brands 4" submersible well water pump.  (Read 1655 times)

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
Im looking for good ideas for high quality made well water submersible pump brands in the 4 to 6 inch wide size, likely powered by power lines not powered by solar panels and also a good internet company to buy 1 from, im likey after at least a 2 horse and can pump at least 20 gallons a minute.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Grundfos is quality. Sizing a pump can be complicated, tradeoffs need to be made between flow, pressure and based on depth and capacity of well. I suggest professional help to consider your unique conditions. There is a big difference between 4 and six inch pumps, a 6" pump cannot fit down a 4 inch well.
here is a guide with some considerations:
https://www.ihs.gov/EHSCT/documents/sfc_webinar_docs/2013-Pump%20Sizing%20With%20Exercises%20r1.pdf

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
The well will be 6 inch and and likey 100 to 150 feet deep and will likey get 25 to 40 gallon a minute well.i tryed to download the link but didnt work on my phone but i will check out that brand you mentioned for pumps thanks

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
The document is a .pdf file you'll need Adobe app to open it. The well driller will test the well and tell you the flow capacity and depth to surface. Using that info and your distribution system specifications you can choose the right pump by looking at the pump graph curves. The idea is to choose a pump which does the work needed yet is neither oversized nor undersized, underworked nor overworked.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
I talked to 1 well pump company he thought going with 2 horsepower 4" pump and pump rated at 23 gallons a minute would be good for me he quated me a price of 1900 dollars , what you said makes sence if well itself only rated at 50 gallans a minute then i shouldnt be shoping for a pump that can do 80 gallons a minute.i plan to pump water into a very large storage tank or 2 of them then presureize water to orchard from there.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:23:14 PM by Avoman »

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile

Franklin e-tech  material is well regarded here among professionals.
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
I talked to 1 well pump company he thought going with 2 horsepower 4" pump and pump rated at 23 gallons a minute would be good for me he quated me a price of 1900 dollars , what you said makes sence if well itself only rated at 50 gallans a minute then i shouldnt be shoping for a pump that can do 80 gallons a minute.i plan to pump water into a very large storage tank or 2 of them then presureize water to orchard from there.
If you have storage up high, consider a slow solar pump with tank or pond.. They cost almost nothing to run after the initial install. The idea is a pump which starts itself after sunrise and slowly pumps all day. Do the math if gravity can do your storage no need for batteries or a second pump. I installed that system 27 years ago it has supplied a house with a pump with output of 0.8 gallons/minute using 3 solar panels it runs even on cloudy days. Slow and steady can get the job done & sometimes beats speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1jTh3maQ4A&t

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
Very true solar or gravity fed can be very cost effective, but i will also need high presure to run 1inch and quarter impact sprinkler heads so i will need 50 to 70psi to run thoughs beasts,for other parts of land i will need reduced pressure down to 10psi to 20psi range.

Cory_Haiti

• North Haiti - Humid lowland, Central Haiti - 4,400' elevation
    • View Profile
    • Thede Connection
We have a 4" 110 or 120V franklin submersible, heavy use since '08, terrible electric power from utility and generators, high and low voltage that burned out refrigerators and computers, etc. it is still working.

SF

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Goulds is another submersible pump brand worth considering.

It is impressive you are able to get decent flow rate within 100-150'. My experience has been at least 10x for half your projected volume. What do you expect in terms of quality and TDS with your water?

Here are a few pointers I have picked up along the way -
a) the pump size is typically 2" less than the borewell diameter, lesser in the case of using a liner etc. Realistically with a 6" borewell without a liner the maximum pump diameter is going to be 4".
b) given an option go with a larger diameter PVC/steel outlet to minimize friction loss
c) it is typical to size the pump based on 50% flow rate to ensure well longevity. This said it is a nice to have option to install a slightly upsized electric cable, this provides a cost effective scenario if you realize the well generates more than the initial GPM assessment. If this were a scenario, at least the electric wire cost can be reused with an upsized pump at a later date.
d) you probably already have an idea with your electrical source power settings - single or three phase for desired pump selection

From your messages, it looks like you plan to store water before trying to run the irrigation sprinklers. In this scenario your submersible pump/motor just needs to be sized for the distance from the pumpset level to the storage tank inlet height. The one other component necessary with your submersible pump is the control - using symcom/littelfuse motor saver is a common option.

What is the elevation difference between your well site vs storage tanks vs highest and farthest watering sections on your site?

As for internet vendors I would recommend calling the corporate offices of your desired pump brand, and asking for their respective regional authorized dealers. These dealers will also help with the correct sizing and necessary details. The other option is to check with your driller.

Once you have the submersible equipment sized, you have one more project sizing up the booster pump side for stored water distribution.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
After i burned probably 15 pumps with my well,german pumps,expensive romanian pumps, cheap chinese pumps,i finally opted for a russian pump that has no motor and no bearings,no oil inside it that can leak in case of failure( expensive pumps have oil aroind the coils).
I made a blog about these pumps on Permies. https://permies.com/t/131308/Russian-diaphragm-pump-motor-bearings
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 04:52:49 PM by SeaWalnut »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
This one is solar and has good reviews in USA.https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-V-DC-Submersible-Deep-DC-Solar-Well-Water-Pump-Solar-Battery-Diaphragm-Pump/232111319302?epid=1364885535&hash=item360ae9a906:g:8fUAAOSwrx1cfizN
Its a diaphragm pump like the Shurflo submersible diaphragm pump wich costs 600 dollars.

I like it because its solar but both pumps,the chinese and Shurflo are just toys compared to the russian pump with no motor and no bearings.
Surprisingly,the russian pumps,real hardcore pumps with no motor and no bearings,heavy, made from thick metal ,cost less than even the chinese one.
Hard to buy them original because of the trade wars and such.

Check this link to see im not the only crazy that thinks this is the best diaphragm pump in the world.A man that got it broken and he took a lot of time and effort to remake the coil and fix it because couldnt find where to buy them .
Amazing,gave me idea to buy a chinese copy of the russian pump and replace the aluminum coil with copper wire.( ive tryed that before but i melted the pump aluminum casing trying to extract the coil wires.
https://lordovervolt.com/water-pump
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:20:47 PM by SeaWalnut »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Found these chinese copyes of russian pumps for just 30 dollars.For this incredibly low price  you get a brand new pump that beats the best Shurflo .
Its still worth buying it even as a chinese copy in case you want to replace the aluminum wire of the coils with copper wire.That way you get a pump that could last maybe 50 years.
The downside its the noize if its not under water and in a well and also its heavy and shakes a lot,could break concrete and plastic tubes over time.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32922553990.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Once you decide on a pump, search ebay with the brand and model number. Folks selling there have very low overhead costs and will get you a good price.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk