Author Topic: Wasted Citrus and other fruits  (Read 4005 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Wasted Citrus and other fruits
« on: June 01, 2012, 05:58:59 PM »

It is a pity so much of the extra fruit I grow gets wasted.The citrus have so many fruit that I can't give it away fast enough.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Wasted Citrus and other fruits
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:03:48 PM »
It is not such a shame in my book.  I look at it as the next year's fertilizer. Some of my mango customers are driven literally to rage over this view, but I find it lessens ulcer development to not worry about these things.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 06:17:44 PM »
Haus you are right and visitors are sometimes horrified by the 'waste' and disgusted by unexpected freestyle skiing on fruit slime beneath the trees.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 01:21:47 AM »
Haus you are right and visitors are sometimes horrified by the 'waste' and disgusted by unexpected freestyle skiing on fruit slime beneath the trees.
better then unexpected freestyle skiing on dog...nevermind. ;) :o :-[
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 02:53:20 AM »

It is a pity so much of the extra fruit I grow gets wasted.The citrus have so many fruit that I can't give it away fast enough.

We cut down on most of the waste by juicing our citrus. It's pretty amazing how many fruits you can drink, but how very few you can eat! Juice can also be frozen if need be, though we never have to. Better to drink it fresh out of the press.
Oscar

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »
"freestyle skiing on fruit slime"   LOL!!!

Been there, done that...

I also juice all my extra citrus.   It is easier to drink than to eat it all out of hand. 

I also do not let any fruit decay like that under my trees. It just attracts rodents and helps the life cycle of fruit flies.  I either chop it up with a majete' to hasten the break down or raked it up and mulch it elsewhere.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 01:14:56 PM »
Waste is bound to happen when trees get very large and over productive...especially when you cannot reach the fruits high in the canopy.

When avos are starting to ripen...I don't linger around ;)

I almost ''break danced'' on a rotten cherimoya ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
 ;D ;D :o :o ;D ;D @ "I almost break danced on a rotten cherimoya."  LOLOL! 

Thanks for the laughs this early morning, I really needed that!! It's better than coffee!

I really do get you, as I have done that very same dance on rotting breadfruit beneath my auntie's huge trees while growing up!! Breadfruit season in full swing + all night thunderstorms = dancing the boogaloo all day long!
✌🏽

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 03:30:21 AM »

With a basket of tahitian limes picked up from the ground each day for weeks I could bathe in it after the 2 freezers are chocablock with frozen juice.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 05:52:54 AM »

With a basket of tahitian limes picked up from the ground each day for weeks I could bathe in it after the 2 freezers are chocablock with frozen juice.

In today's age of quick internet communication there is no need for so much waste. Lots of people willing to buy or exchange fruits for other fruits, veggies, cooked foods, services. You just need to link up with the right crowd.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 06:07:31 AM »
;D ;D :o :o ;D ;D @ "I almost break danced on a rotten cherimoya."  LOLOL! 

Thanks for the laughs this early morning, I really needed that!! It's better than coffee!

I really do get you, as I have done that very same dance on rotting breadfruit beneath my auntie's huge trees while growing up!! Breadfruit season in full swing + all night thunderstorms = dancing the boogaloo all day long!

;D ;D ;D
Rotten breadfruit...YIKES :o With those bad boys you can foofy slide and break dance at the same time :o ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 06:11:47 AM »

Hi Mike,
Awesome harvest 8)
You should start a fruit stand at Rusty's...people would luv to buy your produce. ;)
Time is like a river.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk