Author Topic: Article on breeding the smell out of durian  (Read 3491 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Article on breeding the smell out of durian
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »
Chanthaburis and even Laplaes are leading the low aroma charge, much to the horror of durian purists.There are now even smooth skinned types.The articles on Chanthaburi 1 and 2 rocked the durian world a few years ago just as the seedless laplaes have recently.I tried to cross the seed 'iron curtain' with permitted chanthaburi seeds a few years ago and the seed gastapo (customs) pocketed them.Quarantine are still doing high 5's and telling tales around lunchrooms about that fiasco.Luckily they caved in under the weight of common sense when I got a couple of seeds of the seedless laplaes recently.That reminds me, I almost sent an empty bag overseas labelled seedless lychee but remembered florida is not ready for them yet,and I digress.
Chanthaburis have not proved popular in thailand and do not tatse as good as press releases would have you believe.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 04:37:56 PM »
Chanthaburis and even Laplaes are leading the low aroma charge, much to the horror of durian purists.There are now even smooth skinned types.The articles on Chanthaburi 1 and 2 rocked the durian world a few years ago just as the seedless laplaes have recently.I tried to cross the seed 'iron curtain' with permitted chanthaburi seeds a few years ago and the seed gastapo (customs) pocketed them.Quarantine are still doing high 5's and telling tales around lunchrooms about that fiasco.Luckily they caved in under the weight of common sense when I got a couple of seeds of the seedless laplaes recently.That reminds me, I almost sent an empty bag overseas labelled seedless lychee but remembered florida is not ready for them yet,and I digress.
Chanthaburis have not proved popular in thailand and do not tatse as good as press releases would have you believe.

I think that a spikeless durian would be a greater service than an odorless ones. There are already billions of Asians that love durians as is with odor included. Why mess around with the smell, which is probably part of the taste experience to sell to a mere one or two million adventerous farangs? But if they didn't have those mean needlle like projections they would be easier to open and would no doubt sell a lot more in Asia to the loving billons already there. BTW, there were already smooth skinned mutations of durian when i visited Thailand long time ago, but i was told the fruit quality was not nearly as good.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 04:53:26 PM »
Durian without that nice and fragrant smell?  What kind of nonsense is that? Please put the smell back where is belongs!!! 8)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 05:45:36 PM »
Durian without that nice and fragrant smell?  What kind of nonsense is that? Please put the smell back where is belongs!!! 8)

If you want durian without the smell it already exists in nature. It's called Durio oxleyanus, tastes just like durian without the smell:
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »
What does Durio oxleyanus taste like? I tried couple Borneo jungle species, but they were pretty much tasteless...

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »
What's next?  Mangoes without the odor?  Absurd!!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
What does Durio oxleyanus taste like? I tried couple Borneo jungle species, but they were pretty much tasteless...

Tastes very similar to durian.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk