Author Topic: What are your experiences with Jackfruit?  (Read 2610 times)

boopnloop

• USA/Zone 8a
    • View Profile
What are your experiences with Jackfruit?
« on: June 02, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »
Hey all! What is your experience with jackfruit? I had my first one about 2 weeks ago.

It was a 9lb half for $9, which made me extremely happy considering I read that someone found them for $3-$4 a pound. I tried to pick a good one, but I'm not very experienced. It was good, though. It was sweet and crunchy, but smelled...rank. Ew.

I'm writing this on the way back from my local Asian market. I was going to try to find a whole one, but they only had halves. The price was even better this time! I got a 14 pound half for $11. I was trying to pick a more optimal one compared to my previous one.

I never understood why people said it smelled/tasted like juicy fruit gum, that is, until now. As I was trying to pick one, I smelled the most peculiar scent. I couldn't tell where it was coming from, so I bent down and sniffed the fruit. Even through the plastic wrap, it wa overwhelmingly strong. It smells so wonderful, sweet and fruity x10. I can't wait to taste it!

I really enjoyed the overall experience of jackfruit. I'd love to hear about everyone else's experiences!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What are your experiences with Jackfruit?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:04:08 PM »
Unfortunately what you are getting is average in quality and a decent bet was previously frozen and if not, probably not the freshest.  Not trying to be a diwner, just stating facts.  Oriental markets, while it may be your only chance to buy locally, are not usually a good source for jackfruit.   Even here, qhere it is grown, quality from Oriental markets are not great.
- Rob

boopnloop

• USA/Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:32:28 PM »
Unfortunately what you are getting is average in quality and a decent bet was previously frozen and if not, probably not the freshest.  Not trying to be a diwner, just stating facts.  Oriental markets, while it may be your only chance to buy locally, are not usually a good source for jackfruit.   Even here, qhere it is grown, quality from Oriental markets are not great.

Yeah I know. I didn't say that it's the best place to find it, it's the only place to find it here. It probably is better quality elsewhere, but I enjoyed mine. Meh, beggars can't be choosers. The one I just got that's 14 pounds at $11 wasn't bad for the price. At least I didn't have a totally crappy one for my first taste! That probably would've ruined my future chances to want one.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 06:04:49 AM »
Jackfruit is good, the yellow ones do taste like juicy fruit but I hate  the soft ones, they seem kind of slimy to me. They're good enough that I bought 2 trees: one yellow variety and the red variety Excalibur sells that's not Excalibur Red

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 08:01:31 AM »
Jackfruit is good, the yellow ones do taste like juicy fruit but I hate  the soft ones, they seem kind of slimy to me. They're good enough that I bought 2 trees: one yellow variety and the red variety Excalibur sells that's not Excalibur Red

Red Morning  aka Dang Suria.
- Rob

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »
I must have not found a good one. My experience wasn't good with Jackfruit, tasted pretty nasty IMO. I'll have to try again.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
How does Red Morning compare to say Bankok Lemon in yield, latex, crispness? From all I have read, Bankok Lemon is hard to beat in terms of production, taste, low latex levels.  I am seriously considering both of those but am trying to keep the fruiting late in order to get out of the mango season as much as possible.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 11:27:26 AM »
I read this with some interest.  My jackfruit is still young and not fruiting yet, perhaps a year or two.
Yes I have tasted fresh jackfruit and it is very good, unfortunately, I have not tried fruit from asian market.
But for those of you who have jackfruits, I suspect you may be able to spare one.  If you can, will someone be willing to donate, I will donate shipping up to $12 so that OP can have the experience of a lifetime a fresh unfrozen good jackfruit?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
The best bet for the best fruit is visiting a private grower or nursery that will sell them. But, your being so far north that's very unlikely unless you visit southern climes.

For now enjoy what you can when you can.
Regards,

Gary

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 01:33:54 PM »
I personally have visited excalibur a few times and just picked up a Bankok Lemon and also a Red Morning. It was a toss up between Mai 3 and Bankok but in the end I went with BL. Figured the lemonny taste would be much different than Red Morning so a nice change of flavors. I think with two trees, I will have more fruit than I can handle and be able to freeze some as well. I am thinking a 4-5 year plan to start getting into decent production is about correct.

crea2k

• Uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 06:20:09 PM »
I really don't like the stuff in a tray, ate a small amount and the smell just made me feel ill. I really like it canned in syrup though, you get all the flavour and none of the garbage smell. I think fresh off the tree is likely a lot nicer, I'm guessing that the smell is possibly partly decomposed fruit as my 'fresh' in plastic (same as yours) smelt like rotting fruit / garbage. The canned one has no smell of that, even if you wash all the syrup off and break it in half. I'd like to taste it one day fresh, as in properly fresh off the tree so am growing a few different types, so fingers crossed in 2-3 years, as for now canned jackfruit is fine.