Author Topic: Phoenix mango  (Read 1535 times)

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Phoenix mango
« on: July 19, 2019, 08:58:46 AM »
So I had my first Phoenix mango off a small tree ,the only one on that tree.It had started to change color so picked it let set 3 days and.... I think it is in the top 5 for me flavor was like a mix of bombay or white pari crossed with dot.Also no anthracnose so very clean,now waiting for the other tree to ripen with 5 on it. Nice complex flavor very sweet not to much acid good balance.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix mango
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 09:06:17 AM »
Over at Truly Tropical they liked Phoenix, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Hj-y4O8xo
John

Gambit

• USA, Florida, St. Pete, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 09:18:16 AM »
So I had my first Phoenix mango off a small tree ,the only one on that tree.It had started to change color so picked it let set 3 days and.... I think it is in the top 5 for me flavor was like a mix of bombay or white pari crossed with dot.Also no anthracnose so very clean,now waiting for the other tree to ripen with 5 on it. Nice complex flavor very sweet not to much acid good balance.

Right on point, John.
This is also the first crop from my backyard. I let it ripen until it's ready to drop at the slightest touch. Definitely a top-tier mango. Only have one tree to observe, but this tree is a fast grower and looks like it wants to be big.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 09:27:26 AM »
Gambit that is some serious protection!Yours is very well blushed getting very close.i'm drooling

Gambit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 10:02:45 AM »
Gambit that is some serious protection!Yours is very well blushed getting very close.i'm drooling

Haha... agree that it is that good. The exceptional taste surprised us, as we've never tried it before, but stuck one in the ground based on "heresy"... Detected a tiny hint of resin, much less than Bombay or Jakarta. Very much like an Indian Alphonso in flavor depth. Last season's freeze in St. Pete hit the tree pretty hard and took out the blooms, but it bounced back nicely and fast.

Gim

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 11:02:58 AM »

Haha... agree that it is that good. The exceptional taste surprised us, as we've never tried it before, but stuck one in the ground based on "heresy"... Detected a tiny hint of resin, much less than Bombay or Jakarta. Very much like an Indian Alphonso in flavor depth. Last season's freeze in St. Pete hit the tree pretty hard and took out the blooms, but it bounced back nicely and fast.

Gim
"Heresy" or "hearsay?"  I don't think it's heresy that it would be a great mango!
John

Gambit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 11:18:33 AM »

"Heresy" or "hearsay?"  I don't think it's heresy that it would be a great mango!
[/quote]

Hahaha... you're right on "heresy". Should be "hearsay". One of the many baggages of growing up religious... :-[ but that's another thread. This mango is now solidly entrenched in my top 20.

Gim

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 03:29:03 PM »
I've had a few Phoenix fruits this year, and they have all been delicious.  Nice texture as well.  Definitely in my top 10.