Author Topic: Black Sapote Review (VIDEO)  (Read 4395 times)

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
Black Sapote Review (VIDEO)
« on: April 18, 2016, 11:59:22 AM »
This surprisingly was controversial. Lots of people are saying it does taste like chocolate. I'm starting to think its just hype and psychology that makes people think that. Am I wrong?

http://youtu.be/n1jRMXodO5k
- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ

SCGil

• USA, Conway, South Carolina, Zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Black Sapote Review (VIDEO)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 01:10:34 PM »
IMHO, you are not wrong!

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 02:15:18 PM »
I've had some that I thought tasted very slightly like chocolate, but I'm sure psychology plays a significant role in my thinking that. Whenever I've made chocolate pudding with one of these I've had to add a ton of cocoa to get it to taste chocolatey enough.
Dom

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »
U got a dud!

some trees taste about as good as the pulp looks...caca!

I will try to send you some fruit from a tree that's known to make excellent fruits.

they have a floral flavor...reminds me of eating mousse that is flavored with the essence of delicious smelling flowers....it doesn't taste like chocolate...but if you whip it up with a little cocoa powder...it's God's gift to those who want a truly vegan chocolate mousse.

I hope you revisit this fruit again...

after a decade of tasting rare fruit, I've come to realize, in some instances...although you may have tasted a fruit...you have not truly tasted a fruit, until you've tasted a sample of the spectrum of flavors that a species can offer...the diversity in flavor/texture/quality can be astounding!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:13:46 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 02:02:49 PM »
Adam, I would love to know where to find these tastier black sapotes! Every one I've tasted in Hawaii and Florida has been equally bland. I still like them, just for the texture and the dark color.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 06:05:36 PM »
What variety of black sapote u think that does not taste bland?

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 08:49:19 PM »
I just planted one a couple of weeks ago. Is Wilson good?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 08:51:16 PM »
U got a dud!

I will try to send you some fruit from a tree that's known to make excellent fruits.

they have a floral flavor...reminds me of eating mousse that is flavored with the essence of delicious smelling flowers....it doesn't taste like chocolate...but if you whip it up with a little cocoa powder...it's God's gift to those who want a truly vegan chocolate mousse.

after a decade of tasting rare fruit, I've come to realize, in some instances...although you may have tasted a fruit...you have not truly tasted a fruit, until you've tasted a sample of the spectrum of flavors that a species can offer...the diversity in flavor/texture/quality can be astounding!

I want some budwood from that tree if possible, amigo.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 03:42:09 AM »
U got a dud!

I agree with everything Adam said. Jared it would be good in your videos for you to say how many fruits you have tasted of a certain specimen? If a person has tasted only one or two fruits of a certain species their judgement is not going to be as valuable as someone who has tasted many of them over a long time span. Something like "this is the second durian i tasted and i still am not crazy about them" would be helpful. Or "i've tasted black sapote at least 2 dozen times and all have been bland to my palate."
Oscar

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 06:44:31 AM »
Adam, I was thinking... Since black sapote and fuyu are in the same familly, I believe that is possible to graft black sapote over fuyu and have a coktail tree, don´t you think? :)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 08:49:12 AM »
No doubt we're beating a dead horse with this conversation but here goes anyway...

I've had 2 black sapotes. The first one seemed to me to have a slightly sweet aspect and maybe a tiny hint of chocolate flavor. I got a kick out of the experience.
The second one tasted like absolutely nothing. Big disappointment.

The texture and color is really cool. I won't give up on this fruit quite yet but I am skeptical that any specimens would eclipse the experiences mentioned above.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 12:49:02 PM »

I  have heard that some black zapote trees produce bland fruit. The one you tried isn't black on the outside like it's supposed to be when it's ripe, and some of the pulp looked to me like it was greenish. I have eaten many black zapotes right off the ground I found under trees at CATIE. Granted, they look sort of like some animal stopped by to leave a pile of his business, but they are really wonderful and chocolately tasting to me. Granted, mixing a little little honey and soy milk powder to the very black pulp makes them more chocolate-like.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 08:14:33 PM »
You are talking about a fruit in its natural state not a processed piece of candy . I have ate hundreds of fruit plane with honey with cool whip. No they do not taste like dark chocolate.
Mike

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 02:16:45 AM »
I have had a couple different cultivars and a couple dozen fruit. There are good ones out there and they also need to be picked at the proper time when the calyx is up. Not all of mine ripened to black either. I have tasted a bit of the chocolate taste in the best ones. Not my favorite fruit but I am a fan. I have had some really good bread made out of them as well. It is also a BEAUTIFUL tree.
-Josh

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 01:18:02 PM »
U got a dud!

You think so? I ordered 3lbs and they all were the same. Possibly all from the same tree though? Very true that there is a lot of variation tree by tree. If you know a good one I'd be happy to give it another look next time these are in season. :)

No doubt we're beating a dead horse with this conversation but here goes anyway...

I've had 2 black sapotes. The first one seemed to me to have a slightly sweet aspect and maybe a tiny hint of chocolate flavor. I got a kick out of the experience.
The second one tasted like absolutely nothing. Big disappointment.

The texture and color is really cool. I won't give up on this fruit quite yet but I am skeptical that any specimens would eclipse the experiences mentioned above.

I think thats where it stands. Good fruit maybe, but not as chocolaty as they are purported to be. Whats crazy to me is that there are several videos on youtube where the people eating it swear that it tastes like chocolate. Certainly there is a bit of psychology involved, but I will keep trying these either way.
- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 04:49:58 PM »
Not even cacao tastes like chocolate, so why should black sapote?
There is a lot of variation in taste from tree to tree, especially since most trees planted are seedlings. There are improved cultivars and some grafted trees out there.
Oscar

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 05:13:50 PM »
Not even cacao tastes like chocolate, so why should black sapote?
I see what you mean. I think it's just because of the folklore of the chocolate taste.

There is a lot of variation in taste from tree to tree, especially since most trees planted are seedlings. There are improved cultivars and some grafted trees out there.
Makes sense - good to know.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 06:42:02 PM »
yeah Jared, u got fruits from a garbage tree.

I've bumped into at least 3 or 4 trees that make big beautiful fruits...that taste like nothing...your reaction was exactly the same as mine.

once I got to taste a good variety, it was night and day...they have a very sweet, and floral flavor, with texture of pudding, or mousse.

it's an excellent fruit...with lots of potential.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 03:39:59 PM »
yeah Jared, u got fruits from a garbage tree.

I've bumped into at least 3 or 4 trees that make big beautiful fruits...that taste like nothing...your reaction was exactly the same as mine.

once I got to taste a good variety, it was night and day...they have a very sweet, and floral flavor, with texture of pudding, or mousse.

it's an excellent fruit...with lots of potential.

Do u sell.the tree?