Author Topic: Decided to Plant my Maha Chanok...  (Read 63645 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Decided to Plant my Maha Chanok...
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »

VERY Nice Maha Joe!! Do  you have 3 blooms now or had 3 blooms? Nice new growths too  8)

Hi Nancy

It has bloomed three times since I put it on the ground in April. When I had it on a pot it would flower and push new growth a few months later. Since April it has flower and push new growth 3 times.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 11:16:17 AM »

That's pretty cool blooming 3x already...Nice Joe!!

Picked my very last Maha today...really delicious  ;D...Hope it makes through this winter!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 12:04:19 PM »
PUG

How would describe the MAHA's flavor? and also did you rate it top Tier?

I'm rooting for you this coming Winter....I'll start my PVC greenhouse construction in NOV probably... I think we may get 27-30 degree lows at least once or twice in the Winter for a few hours...I'm guessing that would be enouhg to set me back to ground zero...nothing
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »
love the shape and the size, I've seen similar shaped yellow fleshed one in hawaii. i wonder what variety they were..

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 01:30:24 PM »
PUG

I'm rooting for you this coming Winter....I'll start my PVC greenhouse construction in NOV probably... I think we may get 27-30 degree lows at least once or twice in the Winter for a few hours...I'm guessing that would be enouhg to set me back to ground zero...nothing

Hi Clay, I'm really bad at describing mango flavors and taste...but here goes...its very sweet, no fiber till you get very close to the seed. The flavor is slightly stronger than my Glenn but not over powering. I prefer it over my Cogshall and I really like Cogshall...it has a little spicy overtones to it...not strong though. All I know is I really enjoy the taste and so does my husband. I too like the shape, very different than the mango varieties I have. These first (4) mangoes from this tree is small...I'm hoping the sizes will be larger next year since I planted it inground...depending on what type of winter we have. Thanks...Good luck to us all this winter that gets the occasional freeze...hope its not a bad one  :-\   

Ben, maybe Oscar can tell us what the variety from HI is?

Obet

• Manila,Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 10:39:10 PM »
Pardon me for this question but I'm really getting confused.is the "spicy" word the same as resinous or turpentine flavor.
Robert
Las Pinas City
Philippines

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 12:11:56 AM »
PUG

Hi Clay, I'm really bad at describing mango flavors and taste...but here goes...its very sweet, no fiber till you get very close to the seed. The flavor is slightly stronger than my Glenn but not over powering. I prefer it over my Cogshall and I really like Cogshall...it has a little spicy overtones to it...not strong though. All I know is I really enjoy the taste and so does my husband. I too like the shape, very different than the mango varieties I have. These first (4) mangoes from this tree is small...I'm hoping the sizes will be larger next year since I planted it inground...depending on what type of winter we have. Thanks...Good luck to us all this winter that gets the occasional freeze...hope its not a bad one  :-\   

Hey Pug,how often do you water your Maha when it is holding fruit when it isn't raining? Thanks

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2014, 08:24:06 AM »
Pardon me for this question but I'm really getting confused.is the "spicy" word the same as resinous or turpentine flavor.

Hi Obet, for me at least when I say a little 'spicy' overtones I definitely do not mean resinous or turpentine...I do not like the flavor of Carrie ( and its due to this "off" herb, medicial flavor and I'm not a fan of it) so when I say it has a little spice what I mean is its not bland or just sugary sweet, it has some nice mild spice (think of a hint of say cinammon,lol)...it has a very nice flavor that I like (very pleasant tasting). I have come to the conclusion I do not like strong and overly spicy...herb, medicinal overtones in mango...just prefer the regular sweet, fiberless mango with a good overall nice flavor with that tropical flavors you get...anything very strong I'm not big fan of...

Hi Simon, since my Maha was only planted a few weeks ago and it does get a lot of shade due to the location I have it planted (large oak trees above it) shades it half the day...I only water it appx. every 4 days...whether it has fruit or not...but if it had been planted in full sun I probably would be watering it every 2-3 days in this heat...

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2014, 09:38:23 AM »
Hi Puglvr1 - What is the skin color when fully mature?

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »
PUG

I think the one guy to ask is Mark Suiso, a mango farmer on Leeward side of Oahu, Makaha area, thats where I saw the tree. i remember it not tasting as good as a nam doc mai though

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 12:15:46 PM »

Maha with blooms and tiny fruitlets...I hope I get a few again this year  ;)

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 12:28:42 PM »
Nice, I have been pretty impressed with my tree. Seems to hold a good crop without much care.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »

I lost about a foot of growth from this Winter, the Frost gave it a hardcore Tip Pruning, hopefully it will bounce back this year with Tons of Growth.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2015, 08:41:09 PM »
It's wonderful to see you had 3 fully matured good tasting mangos last year from the seemingly small tree!
Wish I have some acreage to plant more mango trees, but as for now, I would just happy by grafting the scions...
Hope you'll get more abundance of Maha this season, Pug! (Or...Nancy??)
Keep us updated, thanks!
Sam

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2015, 12:26:21 PM »
Thanks all...

Samu, yup Pug or Nancy...I answer to both  :)...hope your tree recovers quickly, I'm sure it will now that spring is here.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 07:20:13 PM »
Pug,

Your Maha looks great. Do the brands that carried last year fruit have new flower or new growth? My Maha had 2 fruits last year and those brands have not had any new buds at all – just the old leaves. The main trunk below those brands did send out new shoots with tons of flowers but I don’t want fruits this year. Dear God, give me new mango growth, not fruits  ;D

Sapote

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
Hi Sapote...I tip pruned all the branches of my Maha after I picked the fruits last summer. Surprisinly all those branches flushed several weeks later and those mature branches all bloomed this year...but I know I will only have a "few" fruits if I'm lucky...Good luck, I hope you get the growth flush you're hoping for this year  :) 

Pug,

Your Maha looks great. Do the brands that carried last year fruit have new flower or new growth? My Maha had 2 fruits last year and those brands have not had any new buds at all – just the old leaves. The main trunk below those brands did send out new shoots with tons of flowers but I don’t want fruits this year. Dear God, give me new mango growth, not fruits  ;D

Sapote

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:30:01 AM by puglvr1 »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2015, 05:18:59 PM »
Hi Pug,

I did tip pruned those fruited branches too after harvest on August, but they have not grown any anything since. I don't know why but just guess our shorter warm season in southern Cal.

Thanks,
Sapote

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 07:10:54 PM »
Hi Pug,

I did tip pruned those fruited branches too after harvest on August, but they have not grown any anything since. I don't know why but just guess our shorter warm season in southern Cal.

Thanks,
Sapote

Different varieties grow differently in California compared to Florida.   Generally speaking,  mangoes are more vigorous in Florida.
- Rob

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 10:07:23 PM »
Pug,

Sapote
Do you have excalibur version of Maha, or Zill version? This will make a significant difference as to what you can expect. Excalibur's version is VERY slow growing but sets loads of awesome fruit. Zills version is pretty vigorous. I have not had the fruit from the zill version yet.  The taste of the ones off my excalibur version are super sweet with dark orange flesh with no resinous flavor and very little fiber.
I have gotten 1 growth flush in over 2 years, it just keeps flowering and setting loads of fruit. I suppose I could pick up the watering schedule a bit :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
The origin of the "Zill version" was from Excalibur.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 10:40:45 PM »
Do you have excalibur version of Maha, or Zill version?

They are the same cultivar. There's no different 'version'.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 12:03:25 AM »

What variety mango is that beautiful bushy tree in the background?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2015, 12:34:08 AM »

What variety mango is that beautiful bushy tree in the background?
I grow the Excalibur plus three other seedling and a california Mahachanok that's been here for over 20 years. I've always wonder if Maha was a poly or mono but I gotten different answers .

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2015, 01:58:49 AM »
The origin of the "Zill version" was from Excalibur.

Since on the topic of different versions of  Maha Chanok, has anyone tasted fruits from Harry's original Maha Chanok tree and fruits from Excalibur's trees? Are they the same?