Author Topic: Mango Forum  (Read 6331 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Mango Forum
« on: June 04, 2013, 08:47:10 PM »
Does anyone know of the Mango Forum?  I heard about it used to be a group in south Florida that traveled around Florida sampling and "judging" different mangos.  Any interest in re-forming such a group?
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Mango Forum
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:33:05 PM »
Does anyone know of the Mango Forum?  I heard about it used to be a group in south Florida that traveled around Florida sampling and "judging" different mangos.  Any interest in re-forming such a group?

The Florida Mango Forum was the source for much of the popularization of the mango in Florida and for many years served as a venue by which new mango cultivars were introduced and publicized. Many old documents originating from its annual proceedings can be found in the FSHS archives.

It thrived in the 40s, probably reaching its peak in the 50s, then began to decline as a lot of its founding members died off and lack of interest, along with a decline in the commercial mango industry in Florida, finally did it in in the 1980s. It still technically existed on paper 10 years ago but its remaining members mostly put their efforts into the Tropical Fruit Growers of South Florida, and Fairchild had taken on the mantle of its original general purpose about a decade before anyways.

I have at times mulled its re-establishment but question its necessity as of now; it would be running against Fairchild Mango Festival and the traditionally adjoining Grower's Conference, along with the various other mango festivals already held in Florida during the summer.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:11:32 PM »

The Florida Mango Forum was the source for much of the popularization of the mango in Florida and for many years served as a venue by which new mango cultivars were introduced and publicized. Many old documents originating from its annual proceedings can be found in the FSHS archives.

It thrived in the 40s, probably reaching its peak in the 50s, then began to decline as a lot of its founding members died off and lack of interest, along with a decline in the commercial mango industry in Florida, finally did it in in the 1980s. It still technically existed on paper 10 years ago but its remaining members mostly put their efforts into the Tropical Fruit Growers of South Florida, and Fairchild had taken on the mantle of its original general purpose about a decade before anyways.

I have at times mulled its re-establishment but question its necessity as of now; it would be running against Fairchild Mango Festival and the traditionally adjoining Grower's Conference, along with the various other mango festivals already held in Florida during the summer.

You  bring up many good points and know a lot about the Forum's history.  I wonder if such a forum could be structured to compliment Fairchild's efforts?  I'm looking at it from the social aspect of getting like minded people together to eat various different mangos.  But it might be interesting to compile a "bulletproof" mango list, with mangos like Pickering and Florigon.  Just a thought.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 08:17:46 AM »
 ::)  no mango is "bulletproof"...
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:13:42 PM »

For bulletproof mango you can hang some bulletproof vests on them. HAHA
Seriously, people that ask me such questions is because they want to toally ignore their plants and usually end up killing them.
Oscar

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 06:14:19 PM »

Rob, I agree with you, but I think you understand the concept.
www.FLMangos.com

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 11:32:01 PM »
I heard the Mango Forum may be reforming...  looking forward to updates.
www.FLMangos.com

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 09:31:30 PM »
Funny, I thought this was going to be a proposal to create a separate Mango Forum, since this forum is somewhat overwhelmed with Florida mango talk. :)

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 10:42:20 PM »
Funny, I thought this was going to be a proposal to create a separate Mango Forum, since this forum is somewhat overwhelmed with Florida mango talk. :)

Don't be a hater! lol  ;)

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 03:54:46 PM »

Joe Hewitt probably has the best tropical fruit tree collection in the world. 👍

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2023, 09:12:41 PM »

I thought the same…
IMO it would definetly be good with a separate Mangofera Indica category. I guess this have already been discussed multiple times.

“Joe Hewitt probably has the best tropical fruit tree collection in the world. “
Better the. Alan Carles The botanic ark?
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2023, 01:14:49 PM »
Hi, this site does not work www.MangosByMail.com
Do you sell mangos??
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.