Author Topic: Mango tasting in La Habra CA September 11  (Read 18790 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Mango tasting in La Habra CA September 11
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:26:24 PM »
Gary will write the results late. Here are some pics of the tasting.

La Habra's mangos except the Keitt

Group picture left to right mangoprofessor, Bestday, JF, Ashok, Leo MangoDog, and Jim

The spectacular lemon zest

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango tasting in La Habra CA September 11
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:36:08 PM »
A fine group of mangos and an equally fine group of tasters!
John

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »
Cool!

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:11:43 PM »
Very nice JF, I wish I could have snuck away to see you guys!

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:12:02 PM »
J, sorry I couldn't make it. Looks like everyone had a great time. Keep up the good work!!! Maybe later this month you can stop by and taste some of what is left on the trees which are Maha, PSM, Rapoza, Edwards, Keiits, and Golden Lippens.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »
You put the Florida mango tastings to shame.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:57:14 PM »
What a table of mangos! I'm still kicking myself for not being able to make it!!!
Thera

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 11:10:42 PM »
What a beautiful group of mangos, and tasters as well. I only wish that I could grow mangos where I am, but unfortunately I am realizing that all mine will be getting the axe.

Richard

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 11:25:11 PM »
That's a great showing (of both tasters and fruit) - can't wait to hear what the consensus was...

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 12:28:26 AM »
And the winner is.....???

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 12:34:29 AM »
The Paulito(?) look amazing, I wonder if they taste just as good?
Very nice collection, super envious as well
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:02:39 PM by Tim »
Tim

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 12:41:06 AM »
JF,

Looks like an amazing tasting, I wish I could of came. Everyone looks like they had fun and a great tasting  ;D.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 01:00:54 AM »
Awesome looking mangoes, the Lemon Zest cut open looks exceptionally delicious. I can't wait to read the reviews! Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 01:04:51 AM »
Way to go Californians! Keep up the good mango work.
Oscar

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 01:26:03 AM »
Wow, how cool!  What sort of collection is this? Is it a germplasm?
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 01:32:15 AM »
Wow, how cool!  What sort of collection is this? Is it a germplasm?

I think more like mangophileoplasm.  ;D I don't think there is any mango germplasm repository in California.
Oscar

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »
Missed it this time too! damn! those mangoes look so amazing! next time lets coordinate so I can make special arrangements to make it!

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 11:49:05 AM »
Awesome group. Next time I'd like to get up there and bring up some other varieties, just need to have it a little later, mine aren't all ready in September. I just had the Pim saen mun, small but super sweet.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 12:11:40 PM »

Group picture left to right mangoprofessor, Bestday, JF, Ashok, Leo MangoDog, and Jim

Good looking group.  Even better looking mangoes.  Since I have not a single mango left on any of my trees, I am jealous.  I am looking forward to the tasting results.  I think your caption on the group ID is off as you go left to right.....isn't it?  Thanks for posting.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »
...yes it is Harry - after the first two mentioned, the next five (l-r) are:  Ashok, JF, Leo, Gary (MDog) and Jim....I think JF was kind of doing it in 2 loose rows....for a VERY loose group of old farts!!!!!   ::)  Nah...really nice guys.... JF's son took the picture and engaged in the contest making it 8 participants...  Also, the second picture, those local seedlings that JF had just swiped (with owner permission....I think!!!!) were not ripe so we could not taste them - the gorgeous Poulitos, Red Manilas, the larger Manilitas, Tundidor,and the 3 little "Tomato" mangoes (as I named them  :P) looked rather intriguing sitting on the table

After everyone had arrived, JF gave a tour of his yard to those who hadn't seen it before.  He sure does have a lot of varieties of mango, avocado, cherimoya, peaches, etc. packed into his not-so-large front and backyard.  Everything looked very healthy.  In fact, he has plans to very soon, pull out a bunch of plants to make room for the more sacred ones he wishes to keep and grow

Anyway,  this non-blind taste test, based on the 4 categories of Color, Fiber, Taste and Aroma (with scores from 1-5, except taste which we weighted 1-10, with the higher number being the better quality) yielded these highly unscientific results, listed best to lowest score.  All were grown by JF except where noted:

Malika
Lemon Zest
Spirit of 76
Kent
Alphonso
Haden
Glenn
Kensington Pride (from Leo's seedling tree)
Valencia Pride (from Florida)
Thomson (from Leo's seedling)
Keitt ? (Leo's - he felt this might not be one, but the rest of us thought it probably was)
Tomato (local seeding, unnamed)
Tundidor (local seedling)

Next year I think we will have blind tests, so there will no advantage to reputation, color, etc.  Also, as always at these kinds of affairs, there will be some mangoes under and overripe, which was the case, allowing the judges an inferior product with which to rate.  One other note, BestDay and I were the toughest judges for the most part, often yielding scores of 12,10 or even less, where Jim and Leo tended to score higher, often in the high teens and twenties, making the scoring probably quite representative of their overall appeal.  And amazingly, with a couple of the lesser known to unknown varieties, the scores showed a wide range......which just goes to show you, there really is no standard or norm for subjectivity!  There simply isn't....

After the tasting, the Mango Professor (Tim), gave a demonstration of a grafting method he developed using all three methods of cleft,butt and veneer.  Ashok shot a video of it and will send to me and I'll post it here in the forum. It was rather brilliant (I thought) as it exposes the graft to twice as much cambium layer as a normal graft.

Tim also showed us how to...what's the word.....cultivate  scions by taking failed flower stems of the mango tree, removing the dead stem as well as all the leaves down about 8 inches from the end and then waiting a couple weeks for the nutrients to be sent into the nodes of those cut-off leaves to swell, making them very advantageous for grafting - Ashok also took a video of this which I'll post at some point.

Tim also said that one of the ten new mango varieties he has recently developed (which are currently in the patenting process I Believe) actually survived field trials in Camarillo, CA, with overnight temps down to 25 degrees Fahrenheit! with no protection!  I thought that was pretty amazing. That variety is called the Antonio mango, which you can see on his website.  I know he won't mind if I link it here:  http://www.socalplantbreeders.com/#!ventura-county-star-august-04-2013/cd5b

Afterwards,  Jf gave a tour of the local neighborhood mango "scene" to  Leo and Jim, having driven the Professor around prior to the start of the tasting event.....the rest of us having already paid and participated in the half hour nickel tour.

So that was it for 2013 as far as larger SoCal mango  tastings.  cuban007 might have a few things to sample at some point.  Yes, Behl, you missed a large variety of the sweet stuff, Ethan you too, and sorry to anyone else from the area who couldn't make it.  There's always next year folks.  I'll be having mine in August again most likely, and this one probably about the same time as this year, depending on weather of course!

Gary

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 02:49:59 PM »
Awesome Gary, thanks for the scores and info. JF and Gary, would you mind giving a description of how the Malika and Lemon Zest tasted in your own opinion? We're they both super sweet? Did LZ taste somewhat like orange sherbet? Thanks in advance!
Simon

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »
well Simon - this lemon zest at the tasting was NOT super sweet, but just kinda sweet -
it did have a hint of orange flavor too - very good - BUT, one that Frank gave me a few
weeks ago that I ripened on the counter and ate was much sweeter and more orangey
than this one.  Both were fiberless.

Malika I had never had before and it was a winner - specifically, my alzheimers doesn't allow
me to remember a lot of details from the tasting, but it was very interesting with nice sweetness,
fiberless and some complexity.  It was the first one we tasted so it was all downhill from there!
(at least for me!).

Why - do you have experience with them?

Gary

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 10:07:19 PM »
Thanks for the descriptions Gary, I have a small lemon zest tree but it will likely not fruit for many years. I don't have a Mallika but have read great things about it. I like my mangoes very sweet and I like a strong tropical mango flavor and I don't like things too tart. I prefer the Haden and Kent type mango flavor more than the Alphonso type piney flavor although I do like Alphonso mango.
Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 11:42:25 PM »
I would like to thank everyone who participated especially Gary for all his extra help. I think the tasting went extremely well considering that I got back from Miami on Monday and was unsure if the mangos were properly ripen.

We had an expert panel of tasters so I feel confident that the final tally is fairly accurate. Next year Gary and I will join forces and have the tasting in August. We hope someone will step up and have tastings in late September and October. I still have late varieties that I can contribute to those who decide to host it.

In the absent of Edward Mallika stole the show with LZ a close second and Spirit of 76 not too far behind. Other that I liked Haden, Glenn, Kensington Pride and Thomson. The consensus was that LZ was improperly named because of its refreshing complex taste of Orange Sherbet.

Cuban007 I will stop by with my Thomsons, Choc Anons, Mallikas and maybe Alfonsos they should be ready by then.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 12:11:16 AM »
Great pic's and report on tasting all those mango's! 8) 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk