Author Topic: Any one has experience with MicroKote anti root circling compound  (Read 23310 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Any one has experience with MicroKote anti root circling compound
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2015, 02:58:44 PM »
It is funny Mark as you were posting the above I was in my grove giving this product another check.
I have had a Waldin seedling in a 5 gal Microkote coated pot for two years, need I add previously used pot, so the coating is in its 3 year. You can see the size of the seedling it is 7 ft tall and 1.5 inch at trunk base. It was running out of gas in such a small pot so I decided to take it and plant it in the grove and graft it in January..

Now look at the root ball. No circling roots, a fibrous mass of roots, healthy, cream color, no dead roots. I'm afraid this product is so good and last so long,  that they may go out of business. 8 oz can last a life time.    I'm ready to use it a third time soon.

You see the bottom with a lot of nice roots, because I place a two inch layer of river rock, giving some room for the roots to grow without touching the product. They did not seem to have circled a lot. This tree should take off like a rocket.

I'm adding a photo of how the pot looks after 3 years, two uses

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:02:31 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2015, 03:28:04 PM »
Nice result, Carlos!
What soil mix are you using for your container plants?
Thanks,

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2015, 06:33:52 PM »
I have no loyalty to any particular blend, what ever I get my hands on at the time I need it.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2015, 08:26:01 AM »
Looks good Carlos except you have a gnarly mass of roots at the bottom that may need trimming or at  least untangling.  If not you may get a girdling effect, which killed this Pickering recently.  (That tree came directly out of an untreated PIN pot).

Like you have planted thousands of trees and grapevines by hand (about 10,000 Christmas trees and their replacements) both in pots but mainly in the field and I always try to insure that the roots grow out into native soil like spokes on a bicycle wheel. Think of the axle as the trunk and the roots as spokes radiating outwards.  If they J root or girdle, the tree is toast.

Spin out mainly occurs at the bottom of the pot which you've witnessed. Those roots should be touching the product, should be chemically pruned so that you get more of a diffused mass of roots. That is where I concentrate my application of the paint, at the bottom of the pot, and it works.  I don't mind the roots hitting the sides because they'll be diverted down to the bottom but once they reach the bottom I don't want any spin out (circling). 

To get technical, when a root tip is terminated (killed), either by chemical means or air/light, you'll get a profusion of lateral roots approximately 4" from that point and behind on most plant material.  That means that this system is only temporary and upcanning or planting into the field is necessary at some point in time.

I'm like you regarding potting mixes, whatever is on hand but I do stick with a 50/50 mix of inorganics and organics.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:46:44 AM by Mark in Texas »

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2015, 08:29:20 AM »
I would guess that the rocks in the bottom of the pot cause the heavy root mass before it hit the copper.  It doesn't appear to have happened on the sides.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2015, 08:31:59 AM »
Here is a good example of the effect of copper hydroxide paint - to induce a very fibrous and effective root system.  I knocked off as much soil as possible to show this thick, fine mass of roots.   ;)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2015, 08:34:50 AM »
I would guess that the rocks in the bottom of the pot cause the heavy root mass before it hit the copper.  It doesn't appear to have happened on the sides.

Doesn't look like they ever hit the copper or he wouldn't have that gnarly mass of twisted roots.  IOW, I doubt if Carlos treated the bottom of the pot, which he should have for the best results.  It's the bottom where you don't want spin-out as explained.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:38:44 AM by Mark in Texas »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »
The bottom was painted as pic shows. I do not have an issue with the bottom roots they are fine. Limitted circling all alive and healthy. Normaly in a two year old planting you would see a lot or circling necrotic roots. For me this is perfect. I created the situation by adding the 2 inches of river pebbles also gives some needed wight to the pot. In a few months I will Take a picture of the tree.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2015, 11:43:22 AM »
The bottom was painted as pic shows. I do not have an issue with the bottom roots they are fine.

I missed that Carlos.  Just confuses me why they weren't terminated.  I'm just wondering what product is more effective, MicroKote or Griffin's.

It's the active ingredient of copper hydroxide that does the work.  Why MicroKote is throwing in other elements is not clear to me.

I assume you never tried the Griffin's Spinout?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2015, 04:14:39 PM »
I have so many pot that I keep reusing with the MicroKote. I need to make about 10 seedlings next week will use the Spin out
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2018, 12:28:19 PM »
Apologies for the necro bump, but does anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase copper hydroxide to make the homemade version of Microkote? Unfortunately the links from are long dead and I'm having some difficulty sourcing it.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2018, 04:27:20 PM »
Apologies for the necro bump, but does anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase copper hydroxide to make the homemade version of Microkote? Unfortunately the links from are long dead and I'm having some difficulty sourcing it.

We got it on ebay if I remember right.

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »
Found this vendor that's selling it cheaper than eBay. Free shipping too. $37.

https://www.lawnandpestcontrolsupply.com/products/cupro-5000-fungicide

Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
Found this vendor that's selling it cheaper than eBay. Free shipping too. $37.

https://www.lawnandpestcontrolsupply.com/products/cupro-5000-fungicide

Griffin's is still making Spin-Out.  I talked to a SePro rep recently and texted me an outrageous price, something like $255 for two 2.5 gal. jugs, a case.