Author Topic: Florida Super Hass Avocado review  (Read 8987 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Florida Super Hass Avocado review
« on: December 03, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »
A local forum member gave me a FL Super Hass (fruit not a tree).  I ate it and think it may be the best avocado I've ever eaten.  The tree he had was healthy and productive. 

I had to run out and get a tree.  The fruit was much larger than a CA Hass, maybe 30% to 50% larger.  I found it to be creamier and butterier (is that a word?) and better than a CA Hass IMHO.  The fruit also had excellent shelf life, it took a full 2 weeks to ripen on the counter. 

If it continues to do well, I may plant several to sell.

I know the same forum member gave Cookiemonster one also, curious as to what he thinks. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Super Hass Avocado review
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:01:28 AM »
How large was the tree?

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 03:04:23 PM »
It was young, I could find out the age, I think it was about 6-7' tall.
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »
Avocados that take 2 weeks to ripen are picked too soon.
Brad Spaugh

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 06:57:54 PM »
Avocados that take 2 weeks to ripen are picked too soon.

And yet it was still excellent.  He picked the ripest one he could find.  Besides, I'm pretty sure the avocados in the grocery are AT LEAST 2 weeks old, and they're still good. 
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 08:19:00 PM »
I got one from them last year and sadly it died way back because of root rot. And my yard never even has standing water in it. I hear everyone around here puts them on big mounds.

It  started growing back three new branches this late summer. But they are only around 6-12 inches long. I don’t know if I am going to wait and see how it does or if I am going to buy another one. It has not grown anymore for two months now.

Do avocados usually stop growing this time of year?

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 08:30:32 PM »
The first picture was taken a week ago after pruning the Florida Super Hass tree. The two other pictures were taken on September 9th while holding some fruit.

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 09:24:07 PM »
Looks good, how long has the tree been in the ground and where’s it from? Vigor? Any idea on cold hardiness?

I can fit only one more avocado in my yard and have been eyeing super hass and day. It would have to be kept on the small side.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 02:24:12 AM »
Love that prune job! Great work.
-Chris

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 07:59:59 AM »
i TRIED A FEW FRUIT  that fell from a friends tree- and they were good-- but some ripened unevenly--
Www.sailing-charters.org

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 11:24:23 AM »
i TRIED A FEW FRUIT  that fell from a friends tree- and they were good-- but some ripened unevenly--

Lamb hass apparently also ripens unevenly in S FL.  And it takes longer than average to ripen.  And it also looks and tastes like regular hass, just larger.  And it has an upright growth habbit.  Looks a lot like super hass. 
Brad Spaugh

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 11:35:51 AM »
Yeah I wished they grew out more instead of up. Wonder if you top it if that would make it grow out..

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »
I had 4 trees and they were all loaded this year.  Was very impressed with the productivity. 
- Marley

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »
I'm in Naples and would like to try one of these . looking to add another tree to my collection . Can i purchase one ? would also like to connect with any other individuals in the naples area ( city of naples )
I have
2 Nishikawa
1 Oro negro
1 Brogden

Also the brogden is available to anyone that wants it . Didn't love the avocado so want to try something else

mike

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 04:53:41 PM »
I'm in Naples and would like to try one of these . looking to add another tree to my collection . Can i purchase one ? would also like to connect with any other individuals in the naples area ( city of naples )
I have
2 Nishikawa
1 Oro negro
1 Brogden

Also the brogden is available to anyone that wants it . Didn't love the avocado so want to try something else

mike

I would like to try the Brogden please. I have one and would like to know if it’s worth keeping.

I’ll let others respond to the fruit availability. My tree will go in the ground this weekend. As far as the tree itself, I got mine from Fruitscapes, they do have them there.
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 06:28:39 AM »
I would like to try the Brogden please. I have one and would like to know if it’s worth keeping.
Definitely Brogdon is worth growing it is early and I enjoyed the taste especially since they are so early. Different because the skin is thin but is also edible. Easy to tell when ripe they turn black.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 12:16:02 PM »

mike

Same here.  Skin is too thin making it a mess to process, taste was fair.  It's now host to about 4 GEM grafts/shoots.  I'd go with Reed in Florida.   Taste is incredible.  Mine is a beast and gets 100F temps more often than not in the summer.  This Reed was frozen back to a stub last January.  Here's the growth since March, 7 months (October pic) after it pushed - 10' X 10'.   It's received nothing more than a 18-4-9, 12 mo. Polyon slow release prill type food and rainwater.

My Oro Negro aka Waldin is now host to Lamb Hass, Sharwil and Pinkerton.  All grafts took back in May.   It's now a beautiful 4' H X 3' wide multi trunked tree. Strange as it's still active.....subjected to 30F to 35F quite a few times.  The 30F was because of a condemned heater that has now been replaced as well as installing a wireless temp alarm system.

June 23 grafts pushed nicely:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:19:25 PM by Mark in Texas »

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »
what happened with the oro negro ?  i haven't got an avo from it yet in 4 years . only have room for 1 more so would like to sample a few before deciding . Super hass , Day and now Reed .

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 03:38:13 PM »
How far north in FL will reed thrive? South Flo and Orlando seem to be very different animals.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 07:39:01 AM »
what happened with the oro negro ?  i haven't got an avo from it yet in 4 years . only have room for 1 more so would like to sample a few before deciding . Super hass , Day and now Reed .

That is weird.  My ON produced big crops year after year.  Something's not right regarding your culture.  What are you feeding it?  Keep the grass away from the trunk and mulch heavily.  I use their own leaves and pine needles, at least 4" thick.

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 07:50:45 AM »
i will mulch it heavily . What fertilizer do you recommend ?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 08:47:14 AM »
i will mulch it heavily . What fertilizer do you recommend ?

I'm an N freak.  My trees get a Polyon or Osmocote 18-4-9 with micros.  I also use Osmocote Indoor/Outdoor which is a 15-9-12 with a great micros package.  Probably a better NPK ratio balance. https://www.amazon.com/Osmocote-Outdoor-Smart-Release-8-Pound-Fertilizer/dp/B00GTDGMHC/ref=asc_df_B00GTDGMHC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216531775325&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17903867832728664886&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025584&hvtargid=pla-379806270924&psc=1

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »

Are you using RBII panels as open bottom container or covering the bottom somehow? I planted a Holiday and Alphonso with open bottoms recently and wondering if I did the right thing.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 06:04:01 PM »

Are you using RBII panels as open bottom container or covering the bottom somehow? I planted a Holiday and Alphonso with open bottoms recently and wondering if I did the right thing.

You did the right thing.  No bottom, best of both worlds - big pot using excellent potting soil, roots harvest water and nutrients that collect in native soil.  Permanent location.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 11:06:06 PM »

You did the right thing.  No bottom, best of both worlds - big pot using excellent potting soil, roots harvest water and nutrients that collect in native soil.  Permanent location.

Good to hear, my Holiday wasn't doing well in the ground so I transplanted it. Old leaves are dying but the tree started to push new growth.