Author Topic: Went to a nursery with the intent of getting two mango trees...  (Read 9449 times)

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
Went to a nursery with the intent of getting two mango trees...
« on: February 24, 2015, 07:34:25 PM »
My wife and I went to a nursery to buy 2 mango trees and other plants and came out with 5 mango trees.  ;D I was looking to see if they had a Rosigold and Neelam to have an early and late season mango crop. I did find a Rosigold, and when I asked for the price, the worker stated $20. For that price I had to get more trees. :) I ended up getting a Rosigold, Nam Doc Mai (smallest mango tree I have), Coconut Cream, Pineapple Pleasure, and Lemon Zest (I know it is a fairly vigorous grower but I couldn't pass it up after reading so many positive reviews).

The nursery had mostly Hadens and Lemon Meringues in stock, the other varieties were either only in quantities of 1 or 2 left. When I was there I saw Peach Cobbler, Madame Francis, some odd named one I think it started with Tia or Sia, Ice Cream, Julie, Juliette, Carrie, and Eastern Indian (never heard of this one). The Lemon Zest I have is pretty tall in a 3 gallon pot, I'm planning on letting it grow to a manageable height during the growing season and then prune it down to a max height of 9' so I can protect it each winter season. Will that be doable, or will I not get mangoes from this tree? Also, I've read good reviews about Pineapple Pleasure, but don't recall reading anything about the tree itself. Is it a vigorous grower like a Valencia Pride, or is it more modest?

The other plants I have bought are Jasmine Sambac: Maid of Honor (my mother kept asking me to plant it so when she visits she can smell it, she loves that plant since it's her home country's national flower and reminds her of the Philippines) and two grafted Miami Supreme gardenias for my wife. I know these aren't tropical fruits, but if anyone has any helpful information please be free to let me know since I have never grown any of these before. My soil is alkaline and I know gardenias like acidic soil, so those are going in containers. But how big of a container do I need for them? I've been looking online about the Jasmine Sambac Maid of Honor plant but I'm getting conflicting information, some places state it needs acidic soil, other sites stating it grows in alkaline, neutral, and acidic soil. So any help on those will be gratefully appreciated! :)

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Went to a nursery with the intent of getting two mango trees...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:51:39 PM »
Wow it seems you found a good nursery. Feel free to mention it so other members can also buy some more tree's there.

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:07:41 PM »
I would say you picked some good ones. The coconut creams that I have the roots grow big fast. The lemon zest is vigorous but responds super with tip pruning. I have 3 pineapple pleasure and they are fairly vigorous, but look to be manageable without too many difficulties.
Good luck!

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 08:23:58 PM »
Wow it seems you found a good nursery. Feel free to mention it so other members can also buy some more tree's there.

I wasn't sure if I was allowed to put out nursery names, but since it's allowed I will then. :) The nursery is Green's Nursery in Zellwood, highly recommend it for the Orlando area people. :)

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 08:29:26 PM »
I would say you picked some good ones. The coconut creams that I have the roots grow big fast. The lemon zest is vigorous but responds super with tip pruning. I have 3 pineapple pleasure and they are fairly vigorous, but look to be manageable without too many difficulties.
Good luck!

Thanks, I hope to be able to keep them alive. :) The roots grow big fast on the coconut cream? Is your's in a container? I'm planning on putting my coconut cream in the ground. The two that I bought today that will stay in containers are Rosigold and NDM. So both lemon zest and pineapple pleasure are manageable, that's great to hear! :)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:37:05 PM »
Nice score at those prices :). Welcome to the addiction-I mean uh um.......club :D.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:05:35 PM »

I wasn't sure if I was allowed to put out nursery names, but since it's allowed I will then. :) The nursery is Green's Nursery in Zellwood, highly recommend it for the Orlando area people. :)

Of course you're free to mention a nursery, after all this is the international online fruitforum and you are an american ( i guess). I'm sure the nursery will get busy now which is great. If i could buy lemon zest or fruit punch for 20$ i would be on my way right now before they are sold out.  ;D

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »
Nice score at those prices :). Welcome to the addiction-I mean uh um.......club :D.

Thanks. At those prices I had to buy those trees. :) lol, yeah I suppose it started becoming an addiction. :) Now to figure out where to plant them in the backyard.

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 09:30:03 PM »

Of course you're free to mention a nursery, after all this is the international online fruitforum and you are an american ( i guess). I'm sure the nursery will get busy now which is great. If i could buy lemon zest or fruit punch for 20$ i would be on my way right now before they are sold out.  ;D

Yep, I'm American born. I hope the nursery will get more customers going there, seems like a great nursery. As for the Lemon Zest, I bought the last one. ;)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 09:45:32 PM »
Green's is an excellent nursery!! (that's where my nursery was located right before I moved to the new address I'm at now...Ray Green was kind enough to rent me some space)

But u got lucky with those prices!!  he sells 3 gal mangoes for $25 usually! (which is still super cheap)....I hope you didn't get the person who sold them to you in trouble....lol...maybe they made a mistake?

either way, thanks for sharing your experience!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 09:52:29 PM »
Good luck!

Thanks, I hope to be able to keep them alive. :) The roots grow big fast on the coconut cream? Is your's in a container? I'm planning on putting my coconut cream in the ground. The two that I bought today that will stay in containers are Rosigold and NDM. So both lemon zest and pineapple pleasure are manageable, that's great to hear! :)
Have both of my coco cream in large 1/2 whiskey barrel pots. Had to move up from 15 gallon pot way sooner than expected. This one is definitely not a container mango for long. Not for the top part of the tree, just the roots are crazy vigorous. Likely has to do with the rootstock, but zill does not label rootstocks much unless they are experimental.
My pineapple pleasures were all 3 gallon, and with the dry heat basically turned into bushes right away. The branches are thick though and pretty vigorous. Your lemon zest will be the most vigorous above the dirt, but nice thing is really likes to branch easily especially just tip pruning even.
Not sure why, but some varieties are really prone to aphids that create leaf deformation majorly. Most my mango varieties are not bothered by these ants/aphids, but of 30 some varieties, coconut cream, alphonso, and edward the ants/aphids seem to go after much more than any others. I learned from BSBULLIE to get rid of ants gets rid of aphids. Guess what...he's right.  I just spray some seven dust liquid spray when new growth starts developing and then the leaves do not get mangled. Just FYI

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 10:01:27 PM »
Green's is an excellent nursery!! (that's where my nursery was located right before I moved to the new address I'm at now...Ray Green was kind enough to rent me some space)

But u got lucky with those prices!!  he sells 3 gal mangoes for $25 usually! (which is still super cheap)....I hope you didn't get the person who sold them to you in trouble....lol...maybe they made a mistake?

Ah, too bad you weren't located there still, I would've dropped by. :) And yes, Green's is an excellent nursery! :)

I had a feeling the mangoes were usually $25 (still cheap). We first talked to a brunette guy that was petting a kitten, with a dog behind him inside the place they did the billing. He showed us the mangoes and when asked about the price he said $20, then he showed us the jasmines and gardenias. He had to get a hispanic male to help pick out the Miami Supremes and Maid of Honors because they weren't blooming and he wasn't 100% sure the plants he was pointing at were the exact cultivar of what we were looking for. So the hispanic guy picked them for us and took us back to the billing building (the brunette guy had went to another building to talk to a female (employee I'm assuming) and when he was ringing us up he was saying 5 mangoes at $25 each, but we told him the other man quoted us $20. So we (my wife, me, and the hispanic guy) went to the brunette and asked if it's supposed to be $20, and he said "That's what Mr. Green said." So I guess they were on special. :) So doubt anyone got in trouble. :)

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 10:16:06 PM »
Good luck!

Have both of my coco cream in large 1/2 whiskey barrel pots. Had to move up from 15 gallon pot way sooner than expected. This one is definitely not a container mango for long. Not for the top part of the tree, just the roots are crazy vigorous. Likely has to do with the rootstock, but zill does not label rootstocks much unless they are experimental.
My pineapple pleasures were all 3 gallon, and with the dry heat basically turned into bushes right away. The branches are thick though and pretty vigorous. Your lemon zest will be the most vigorous above the dirt, but nice thing is really likes to branch easily especially just tip pruning even.
Not sure why, but some varieties are really prone to aphids that create leaf deformation majorly. Most my mango varieties are not bothered by these ants/aphids, but of 30 some varieties, coconut cream, alphonso, and edward the ants/aphids seem to go after much more than any others. I learned from BSBULLIE to get rid of ants gets rid of aphids. Guess what...he's right.  I just spray some seven dust liquid spray when new growth starts developing and then the leaves do not get mangled. Just FYI

Yes, definitely, now that I just looked at my coconut cream mango, the roots are pretty vigorous, lol. It's still a short tree, but it's planted in a 7 gallon pot, which I found odd in the nursery, until you mentioned about the roots. :) I was looking at the tree again a short time ago, and notice something strange , where the rootstock is, just below the graftline, it's kind of bulging looking and has some sort of splitting/bursting thing going on. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow if it's not raining and post a new topic about it asking for help on what is going on.

I don't mind a bushy looking tree, I think it'll look pretty nice and hope my pineapple pleasure does the same thing as your's. I guess since the Lemon Zest is the most vigorous and takes on to tip pruning, I'll do my tip pruning onto that first to see if I am tipping correctly. :)

I haven't noticed ants on the mango trees, but will inspect for aphids. I have noticed big holes on most of the mango trees I've bought there, but haven't seen any bugs on the leaves, so not sure what bug is making holes on them.

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 10:43:28 PM »
There is a lot of citrus trees in the area, along with several different types of desert trees that the aphids love, so my experience may be quite a bit more location specific than others, but something to keep an eye on. If there are ants walking on the mango tree you can easily assume they are farming aphids.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
There is a lot of citrus trees in the area, along with several different types of desert trees that the aphids love, so my experience may be quite a bit more location specific than others, but something to keep an eye on. If there are ants walking on the mango tree you can easily assume they are farming aphids.

They can also farm scale,  which is commonly found on mangoes.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 07:44:34 AM »
@stormin
You did great buying five mangoes at good prices. You will have frost problems so now you have a better chance of survival. If you had just one mango tree and it got hit hard by frost you would be all done.
Do you have loquats? They are well suited for Orlando climate.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:47:26 AM by zands »

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »
I may be able to give advice on your Sampaguita Jasmine. My mother was Filipina too, and I try to grow all the plants that remind me of being back home. I fertilize mine with good fertilizer, you want the one geared to blooming. They like morning sunlight and afternoon protection. Once they bloom, prune the branchlets they appeared on to encourage more.
You may want to surprise her and grow some other flowers that will bring her "home". Plumeria(Kulatsitsi), Angel Trumpet(Campanilya), Ylang-Ylang, and Butterfly Ginger(Kamya). :)

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »
@stormin
You did great buying five mangoes at good prices. You will have frost problems so now you have a better chance of survival. If you had just one mango tree and it got hit hard by frost you would be all done.
Do you have loquats? They are well suited for Orlando climate.

Thanks, it was hard to resist buying more mango trees at that price. :) Right now I have 8 mango trees, still don't have that Neelam though. ;) But then again I'm not sure I'd have enough space in my yard with all those mango trees, lol.
I don't have any loquats, I haven't tasted them before. They do look interesting, but not sure if I'd have enough room in my yard to plant a loquat, would need to taste some fruit before I think about planting it though. Looks similar to an apricot to me, if it tastes similar to one I probably wouldn't like it.

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 09:07:42 PM »
I may be able to give advice on your Sampaguita Jasmine. My mother was Filipina too, and I try to grow all the plants that remind me of being back home. I fertilize mine with good fertilizer, you want the one geared to blooming. They like morning sunlight and afternoon protection. Once they bloom, prune the branchlets they appeared on to encourage more.
You may want to surprise her and grow some other flowers that will bring her "home". Plumeria(Kulatsitsi), Angel Trumpet(Campanilya), Ylang-Ylang, and Butterfly Ginger(Kamya). :)

What kind of fertilizer do you use on your jasmine? Is it planted in the ground or container? Is it an acid loving plant or does it not care on if it grows in alkaline soil? Sorry for the many questions, just want to try to keep it alive, lol. Hmm, it likes morning sunlight and afternoon protection, looks like it'll have to go to the front of the house then.
I sometimes see people selling cuttings of plumeria branches, $15 per cutting. It doesn't look like much, just a bare stick, but if it's easy to grow I'll give it a shot, even though at $15 I prefer it to have roots or something, lol. As for Angel Trumpet, I know it's a toxic plant, my wife's sister used to have one in her old house, beautiful flowers, but at nights thieves would come and take all her blooms (we heard on the news that there was a rash of burglery of people steeling the blooms in an attempt to get high). So I'm not sure I want to attract the attention of druggies, lol. I haven't heard of a Butterfly Ginger, had to Google it and noticed it is a lily, I can't grow that, my wife is allergic to lilies. :( But the Ylang-Ylang tree looks beautiful. :) Will have to look into it more, so far I noticed that it grows at 15 ft per year unless it's a dwarf variety.

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 01:21:35 AM »
I used Preen for years, it was all purpose. It worked well, but then I switched to Jobe's Organic for fruit and bloom.  I keep mine in a pot, because I live in Maryland, and it would not last in Winter. The soil was a mix of mulch and potting mix, but once in a while I mix in fresh peat or mulch or perlite. I think it likes more acid soil, but rich organic soil is key. I don't think ph will be the most important factor when you use good potting mix. It's not like Miracle Fruit which loves acid.

It will enjoy the morning sun, and afternoon indirect light. The green leaves are equally pretty, and I find if you give them full sun, they go pale.

I suggest you pick up a Plumeria. They grow fast, and will be a showstopper when in bloom. They smell good too if you get the good variety. Mine smell like peaches and mango.
Angel Trumpet is showy. The druping flowers look like bells, hence the name Campanilya or Campanilla. Never heard of people getting high from it, but that just shows you the desperation of some people.
The Kamya is actually a tropical ginger, not a common lily, but they use lily in the name sometimes. Your wife shouldn't be allergic to it unless she's allergic to ginger species. It smells incredible. More like perfume than flower.

Lastly, the Ylang ylang is of course the flower that trumps the others in my opinion. It's the scent that can fill your neighborhood, and it will bring pollinators to your yard. If you want more pollination of fruit, it stands to reason the intoxicaing scent of the aforementioned flowers will bring the bees etc to your yard.

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 08:23:51 AM »

The other plants I have bought are Jasmine Sambac: Maid of Honor (my mother kept asking me to plant it so when she visits she can smell it, she loves that plant since it's her home country's national flower and reminds her of the Philippines) and two grafted Miami Supreme gardenias for my wife. I know these aren't tropical fruits, but if anyone has any helpful information please be free to let me know since I have never grown any of these before. My soil is alkaline and I know gardenias like acidic soil, so those are going in containers. But how big of a container do I need for them? I've been looking online about the Jasmine Sambac Maid of Honor plant but I'm getting conflicting information, some places state it needs acidic soil, other sites stating it grows in alkaline, neutral, and acidic soil. So any help on those will be gratefully appreciated! :)

I have three jasmine sambacs planted in the ground and one in a pot at various points around my house. They do okay in the sandy soil we have here in St. Pete. Use pine bark or nuggets as mulch, as well as the occasional handful of oak leaves. Have to cut them back heavily in the winter; the cool air and high humidity gives them sooty stuff on their leaves. They grow back in the spring looking better than before. Another possibility may be the night-blooming jasmine/queen of the night jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum). It's perfume is quite strong. It's bushy, and doesn't get as big as a gardenia.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
I used Preen for years, it was all purpose. It worked well, but then I switched to Jobe's Organic for fruit and bloom.  I keep mine in a pot, because I live in Maryland, and it would not last in Winter. The soil was a mix of mulch and potting mix, but once in a while I mix in fresh peat or mulch or perlite. I think it likes more acid soil, but rich organic soil is key. I don't think ph will be the most important factor when you use good potting mix. It's not like Miracle Fruit which loves acid.

It will enjoy the morning sun, and afternoon indirect light. The green leaves are equally pretty, and I find if you give them full sun, they go pale.

I suggest you pick up a Plumeria. They grow fast, and will be a showstopper when in bloom. They smell good too if you get the good variety. Mine smell like peaches and mango.
Angel Trumpet is showy. The druping flowers look like bells, hence the name Campanilya or Campanilla. Never heard of people getting high from it, but that just shows you the desperation of some people.
The Kamya is actually a tropical ginger, not a common lily, but they use lily in the name sometimes. Your wife shouldn't be allergic to it unless she's allergic to ginger species. It smells incredible. More like perfume than flower.

Lastly, the Ylang ylang is of course the flower that trumps the others in my opinion. It's the scent that can fill your neighborhood, and it will bring pollinators to your yard. If you want more pollination of fruit, it stands to reason the intoxicaing scent of the aforementioned flowers will bring the bees etc to your yard.

Ylang Ylang will not be happy in zone 9; Plumeria sp. also may struggle.  Neither do well with frosts/freezing temps.  Angel Trumpet in zone 9 will most likely die back to the ground each winter.

People, please be mindful of what recommendations you make to people in specific USDA Zones, especially those newer to the hobby.  They may not realize what they are getting into and you could be costing them problems they do not want.
- Rob

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »
I grow all the species I mentioned, in zone 7, in pots. The plants I suggested to you, but the Ylang ylang, are not ultra tropical nor are they fruits, these are often grown by new gardener's interested in tropical flowers, because getting a plant to flower is less involved to get it to flower then fruit.

The Kamya will grow in ground with protection in my area.  I know that Angel Trumpet grows in the 8-11 zone, but even in my 7 zone there's a hardy variety that can withstand low temperatures. I suggest you try that out if you're worried, Stormin. Basically, If you can grow Mangoes, which it seems you've committed to, then you should be able to grow my suggestions.
The Angel Trumpet, Kamya, and Plumeria can be grown in ground in zone 9 with protection. I've seen it. The Ylang ylang, I'd put in a pot or enclosed structure. My plant is inside where it's by a draft, 60 degrees or so during the day and lower at night, and it's still growing. :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 10:16:11 AM »

Ah, too bad you weren't located there still, I would've dropped by. :) And yes, Green's is an excellent nursery! :)

I had a feeling the mangoes were usually $25 (still cheap). We first talked to a brunette guy that was petting a kitten, with a dog behind him inside the place they did the billing. He showed us the mangoes and when asked about the price he said $20, then he showed us the jasmines and gardenias. He had to get a hispanic male to help pick out the Miami Supremes and Maid of Honors because they weren't blooming and he wasn't 100% sure the plants he was pointing at were the exact cultivar of what we were looking for. So the hispanic guy picked them for us and took us back to the billing building (the brunette guy had went to another building to talk to a female (employee I'm assuming) and when he was ringing us up he was saying 5 mangoes at $25 each, but we told him the other man quoted us $20. So we (my wife, me, and the hispanic guy) went to the brunette and asked if it's supposed to be $20, and he said "That's what Mr. Green said." So I guess they were on special. :) So doubt anyone got in trouble. :)

Wow u were right!

I called greens and they lowered the price of mangoes!!

I don't think this price can last much longer...they're barely making a profit!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »

Ylang Ylang will not be happy in zone 9; Plumeria sp. also may struggle.  Neither do well with frosts/freezing temps.  Angel Trumpet in zone 9 will most likely die back to the ground each winter.

People, please be mindful of what recommendations you make to people in specific USDA Zones, especially those newer to the hobby.  They may not realize what they are getting into and you could be costing them problems they do not want.

Ebay has plumeria cuttings that are very cheap- cuttings take very easily. For a few bucks, you can gamble.