Author Topic: Iconic Brevard County (FL) roadside citrus stands shutting down  (Read 2154 times)

A.T. Hagan

• N/C Fla
    • View Profile
Iconic Brevard County (FL) roadside citrus stands shutting down
« on: October 30, 2017, 12:35:17 PM »
http://www.wesh.com/article/iconic-brevard-county-roadside-citrus-stands-shutting-down/13074251

ROCKLEDGE, Fla. —

Central Florida is saying goodbye to one of the last major roadside citrus businesses in the area.

Roadside citrus stands were once a Central Florida trademark and tourist attraction, but now they can’t make enough money to stay afloat and Harvey’s Groves officials have decided to close the company’s Rockledge and West Melbourne locations.

The sepia-toned pages of an old photo album bring to life the sleepy, pastoral days of the mid-20th century. That’s when Harvey’s Groves was in its heyday, selling hand-squeezed orange juice to travelers for a nickel.
WESH-TV

“I don’t like it at all. I don’t like it. I planned to work till I was 80 years old, like my father,” said Jim Harvey.

Jim Harvey spoke with WESH 2 News Monday by phone about the family business that was started in 1926. The Rockledge store was once surrounded by citrus groves which were wiped out by the disease known as greening.

“Every grower in Florida has been devastated by greening, and us, too. We’ve probably lost 60 to 80 percent of our acreage to greening,” Harvey said.

Buying habits have changed, too. People don’t visit the classic old storefront anymore, where bright, juicy oranges were once piled up in mouth-watering abundance. Now, people buy online, and that’s the only part of the business that’s keeping Harvey’s alive at all.

At one time, the section of U.S. 1 near Rockledge where Harvey’s is located, was dotted with at least six citrus stands.

Harvey's was a citrus institution when I was growing up down there.  Shame to see it closing, but to be expected I suppose with the repeated body blows Florida citrus has been enduring.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: Iconic Brevard County (FL) roadside citrus stands shutting down
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »
Looks like Policicchio groves has closed as well! http://www.juicycitrus.com/homepage.html.
We used to buy paper grocery store bags of citrus that didn't look good enough to ship
back in the 60/70s for $1 a bag when I was a high schooler at Merritt Island HS. I can still
taste the minneolas and temples we bought that were good beyond belief! We bought the oranges
from a little old lady, must have been the founders wife. Citrus groves surrounded the store on
North Merritt Island. She was still there in the 80/90s when I vacationed there.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:51:07 PM by mrtexas »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 08:35:34 PM »
I seen the story on Harvey's demise last week on the Fresh Fruit site.   I believe the are still offering fruit sales via the Internet.

A.T. Hagan

• N/C Fla
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 01:03:13 PM »
Looks like Policicchio groves has closed as well! http://www.juicycitrus.com/homepage.html.
We used to buy paper grocery store bags of citrus that didn't look good enough to ship
back in the 60/70s for $1 a bag when I was a high schooler at Merritt Island HS. I can still
taste the minneolas and temples we bought that were good beyond belief! We bought the oranges
from a little old lady, must have been the founders wife. Citrus groves surrounded the store on
North Merritt Island. She was still there in the 80/90s when I vacationed there.

Yes, they've gone under as well.

Merritt Island citrus store closes after Hurricane Irma

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2017/10/31/merritt-island-citrus-store-closes-after-hurricane-irma/812815001/

(Photo: MALCOLM DENEMARK/FLORIDA TODAY)

The Policicchio Groves retail store on north Merritt Island will not reopen because of citrus grove damages wreaked by Hurricane Irma, an owner announced.

"This was a very difficult decision we had to make especially approaching our 100th year of my grandparents, Carmelo and Domenica Crisafulli planting the orange groves," Ruth Policicchio Kaplet, a third-generation owner, posted on the company website at juicycitrus.com.

"However, we are pleased to announce that we will continue our mail order shipments of Citrus Gift Packages. We will shortly have this website ready for you to order. Sorry for the delay. If you ordered from us last year, you will receive our new catalog soon," she wrote.

"On behalf of the Policicchio Groves family, it has been a truly rewarding experience serving our many loyal customers for the past 98 years. We will dearly miss each and everyone of you and wish you good health and happiness," she wrote.

Policicchio Groves officials could not be reached for comment this week. The retail store is located on North Courtenay Parkway.

Earlier this month, Harvey's Groves officials announced the permanent closure of the citrus company's seasonal retail stores in Rockledge and West Melbourne. Mail order business remains active at harveysgroves.com.