Author Topic: My first home grown gold nugget jak  (Read 1413 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
My first home grown gold nugget jak
« on: August 10, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »
Well with around 35 fruits still on the tree I picked two and left them in the sun in a large pot of soil to bleed out the latex and ripen. Today I opened a 12 pounder and it was delicious. Even the rag is very sweet and edible. I have to thin out the crop next year because I have another Jak (a Bangkok lemon) that should be coming online next year.

Anyway I am sending one off to Cali to someone who was so kind to send me a few pounds of loquat seeds, the rest? Dunno, eat what I can and fill some promises I made to members here :-)
Regards,

Gary

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
Re: My first home grown gold nugget jak
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:19:46 PM »
Wow... 35 fruit on 1 tree. I had no idea that was possible.
Www.sailing-charters.org

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:03:52 PM »
Well with around 35 fruits still on the tree I picked two and left them in the sun in a large pot of soil to bleed out the latex and ripen. Today I opened a 12 pounder and it was delicious. Even the rag is very sweet and edible. I have to thin out the crop next year because I have another Jak (a Bangkok lemon) that should be coming online next year.

Anyway I am sending one off to Cali to someone who was so kind to send me a few pounds of loquat seeds, the rest? Dunno, eat what I can and fill some promises I made to members here :-)
Congratulations Gnappi!  That is some first haul with 35 fruits.  It's good to get your opinion on this variety since it is one that is suppose to do well in southern California.  I have a small one coming along and hope to plant it out next year.  How long did it take yours to fruit and what size was it when you planted it?  Just attempting to gauge how long I will have to wait for mine to fruit!
Bob

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 11:30:42 PM »
I planted it in 2011 as a 7 gal?  I was good at recording dates but back then not size. Maybe cookie monster remembers?

I tried making the cooked pulled pork deal and it tasted like bbq jakfruit. IMO, dont bother the rag tastes better :-)

I have some folks coming 2morrow 2 get some, maybe they will update this thread on their observations.

I have deliberately let the tree get away in growth maybe that is what has had the effect on the large crop?

Regards,

Gary

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:32:15 PM »
PS, I have some free seedlings from this trees fruit for locals if anyone wants them. No delivery, no shipping.
Regards,

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk