Author Topic: First Jackfruit Flowers on my Seedling Tree  (Read 1314 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
First Jackfruit Flowers on my Seedling Tree
« on: March 27, 2018, 09:28:57 PM »
So I bought a 12ft jackfrut Seedling that was essentially rootbound in a 15 gallon pot and had no expectations whatsoever for it. As a matter of fact it was shaped like a lollipop with the lollipop stick being twice as long as normal....real ugly.  But I planted it early summer 2016 and it didn’t do much of anything. So after Irma, I essentially cut it in half. It still didn’t grow very much, although the trunk is now more proportional to the canopy.  I decided I would give it one more summer to get its act together or else I was going to pull it and replace with an Amber seedling I have in a pot currently. I was convinced this thing was getting chopped down in September. But today I was pleasantly surprised by a beautiful male flower and another that had already shriveled up and dropped onto a leaf below. What a great feeling. I really wanted to give this tree a chance and I’m glad it’s showed some signs of progress well before the eleventh hour. It was a very exciting day

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: First Jackfruit Flowers on my Seedling Tree
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 10:07:24 PM »
My gold nugget was maddeningly S-L-O-W too, but it's gone nutso fruiting the last two seasons! My Bangkok lemon is also being a challenge, it's in the ground four years and was bought as a fairly large tree. Today it's very large and not a single flower.
Regards,

Gary

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 10:15:28 PM »
I have an NS1 that has grown very slowly and put out male flowers this year & 2 previous but no jackfruit produced and still small about 10ft. Slow slow slow... but not irrigated and not rich soil....

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 10:46:55 PM »
If this is one of the amber seeding that were distributed by Patrick or Sheehan, I would recommend that you put it in the ground.  These trees were distributed for free in the hopes of bringing a great jackfruit to the US. So far the results have been very good. My tree, unfortunately, is sickly.

I have jackfruit trees that have been putting out males for the last three years without fruiting.

Gnappi, taking 4 to 5 years to fruit is not a bad thing for a jackfruit tree. Small trees produce inferior fruit, fruiting puts a lot of strain on the tree, and BKL is a heavy producer.
Brandon

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 07:41:03 AM »
If this is one of the amber seeding that were distributed by Patrick or Sheehan, I would recommend that you put it in the ground.  These trees were distributed for free in the hopes of bringing a great jackfruit to the US. So far the results have been very good. My tree, unfortunately, is sickly.

I have jackfruit trees that have been putting out males for the last three years without fruiting.

Gnappi, taking 4 to 5 years to fruit is not a bad thing for a jackfruit tree. Small trees produce inferior fruit, fruiting puts a lot of strain on the tree, and BKL is a heavy producer.

The Amber will eventually go in the ground, just not in that spot apparently

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »
My gold nugget was maddeningly S-L-O-W too, but it's gone nutso fruiting the last two seasons! My Bangkok lemon is also being a challenge, it's in the ground four years and was bought as a fairly large tree. Today it's very large and not a single flower.

That’s not encouraging. My Bangkok lemon is 2 or 3 years old so I have a few years to go at least.  My amber was a bust but I have a new seedling from a Florida Amber in the ground now. I have several grafted jaks three to for years old that are just putting out male flowers. My only productive Jakarta was a seedling planted about the same time and has about 20 fruit currently. I won’t need to cull any as they only get to around 8 to 10 pounds which is a great size for a Jak in my opinion. Last year it produced around 6 fruits.