Author Topic: Eversweet Pomegranate  (Read 1450 times)

BPDUKE

• APOLLO BEACH
    • View Profile
Eversweet Pomegranate
« on: March 25, 2020, 12:16:35 PM »
I am just south of Tampa and have 2 Eversweet Pomegranate Trees that are 5 years old.  My neighbors have tried a few types with no success but these have done very well.  Very fast growers.  A definite need to prune but they started producing at 3.   They are about 8 foot tall and I have pruned them quite a bit over the last 3 years.  Thought I would share this because they seem to be a good tree for our area. They also are a good looking tree. I included a picture. 

dmwong93

• Father Fruit
    • USA, Southern CA, Zone 10b, E. Anaheim
    • View Profile
Re: Eversweet Pomegranate
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 07:59:30 PM »
Looks nice, this year will mark year 3 for my Wonder variety. Hoping it will fruit as my Parfianka pomegranate already did last year.; both planted at same time.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 10:00:46 PM »
What do you say about the fruit quality, is it sweet, even when unripe, and pale in color, nearly seedless?
https://raintreenursery.com/fruit-trees/eversweet-pomegranate-10-inch-slve-d485

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 10:02:09 PM »
Nice! Might try adding that.

Growing Vietnamese Red, but still young. Have been told it grows and fruits well here.

BPDUKE

• APOLLO BEACH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 09:52:08 AM »
The fruit is sweet.  The trees are still young and the fruit size is medium right now, but seem to get bigger from year to year.  As far as the seedless they are not.  I bought them after reading that the seeds are soft.  They can be pretty soft if picked early and they are still sweet.  Wait until the sides begin to bust they are hard. They are a good tasting fruit.  Not particularly rich or complex.  But not too tart or too sweet.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 05:06:30 PM »
I've got an ever sweet Bush.  Nice tasting fruit very sweet with no acid but the seeds are not good in this one.  There are other varieties with much less seed. 
Brad Spaugh

BPDUKE

• APOLLO BEACH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 08:23:42 PM »
Brad have you tried picking your fruit a little earlier?  The arils are softer and edible if picked early from my trees. and still sweet.  When I wait to long they get woody in texture.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 08:34:14 PM »
Yeah I have had them at varying stages and they are still sweet even very early because this one has no acid.  But it still has much more seeds than some of the other varieties out there.  Simon has one that looks and tastes like ever sweet but without all the seed.  I dont remember the name of it.  I've got another friend with a pink sweet type also has almost no seed compared to ever sweet.  I was really disappointed when I figured out the seediness of this one because the description of it on tags say it has little seed pulp.  Other people have also posted here they have the same experience with this one. 
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 12:20:09 AM »
The sweet one with very small seeds is Desertenyi. It’s an excellent tasting variety for those that prefer less acidity.

Simon

BPDUKE

• APOLLO BEACH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 10:32:31 AM »
Interesting I will have to try one

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk