Author Topic: New commercial variety of Mango available  (Read 8445 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
New commercial variety of Mango available
« on: June 16, 2017, 05:20:55 PM »
A friend from this forum recently notified me that there were some Asian mangos available at Lucky Seafood so I went there and picked some up. My friend said they could potentially be Kook Lom Krong but I know very little about Asian mangos so I have no idea what it is. 4 fruit were $6.99

Today, I stopped by Vinh Hung in Mira Mesa and they sold these same mangos in cases for $26/case.

I spoke to an Asian lady there and she said these mangos are sweet even when they are green and crunchy so I decided to purchase a case.

The 4 pack I bought from Lucky Seafood is blushing with a bit of yellow so I decided to cut one open so that I can sample these at different stages of ripeness. This one I cut open is just starting to turn soft so it is not in the crunchy phase anymore. The flesh gave little juice in this stage and it had a Brix of 19%! The flesh was sweet and tasted a bit like a sweet green apple and was very enjoyable. I think this mango will be excellent if prepared in the southeast Asian tradition with a bit of fish sauce or shrimp/crab paste and some chilly peppers and eaten chilled on a hot day.

The most exciting thing is that these were grown in Mexico so they were hot water treated and not irradiated. This variety is polyembryonic so it is a candidate for my seedling experiments.

Can anyone confirm the identity of this new commercial variety?

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
Re: New commercial variety of Mango available
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »
I forgot to mention that the box has these labeled as "Manilla" which they definitely are not.

Simon

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 06:22:07 PM »
Simon..... The case has the growers name Phone No. & e/mail....... Get in contact with him.... Mike

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 07:03:52 PM »
I just visited their website and they only list the same varieties indicated on the box. This variety could also be Keow Savoy.

Simon

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 08:13:46 PM »
Normally any mango we get from Mexico are only good for a fruit arrangement on the table.  Then you throw them out.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 10:22:32 PM »
Jay, go swallow a Carolina Reaper!!!
Tim

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 02:27:48 AM »
brahm kai meu ?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 02:49:31 AM »
Tim, I nearly shat myself laughing.

Ben, I just looked up some pictures of BKM and it appears to be much wider on the bottom. This Mango is a bit more slender and looks like the Thai Green Mango that Randy or Max sent me scions of a while back.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »
I cut some of these mangos in the crunchy phase for my daughters and they loved it. They loved the crunchy texture and couldn't stop eating them and asked for seconds. I asked them if they like the excellent late season Kesars more or these crunchy mangos and they said they like these  crunchy mangos more.  I personally prefer the Kesars.

I forgot to mention that these mangos have a slight resin smell to them similar to the Jehengar mango.

Simon

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 05:18:02 PM »
The description of eating fits Pram Kai Mea, but the appearance seems different.
Har

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »
Mahachanok that was picked three weeks too soon.   

Click on Mahachanok picture:
http://mangosbymail.com/our-mangos
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 06:40:09 PM »
My maha's have never had a dark green skin color like in the OP's picture no matter what stage of growth the fruit was in- regardless of varying sun exposure levels. Seed and shape.....maybe. A flesh free seed/husk would help.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 12:00:55 AM »
The shape is very much like Maha Chanok but there is more of a pointed hook on these excellent green mangos. I grow Maha in my yard and I've eaten it from various trees but I've never tried eating it in the green phase. These mangos also aren't blushing pink or red but that could be because they are picked so green. This mango smells nothing like a Maha however, not that I've ever noticed any smell from a green Maha but I've definitely never detected any Jehanger or Indian resin flavors in Maha.

I left a few of these mangos to ripen soft and they are still green with a yellow starting to come out.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 12:54:22 AM »
Here's one that's turning soft and color is yellowing.

Here's that sharp point

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 09:52:13 PM »
I cut the yellowish mango pictured above today and was surprised that it had a Brix of 23%! The flavor was not spectacular, pretty bland actually but it was sweet and had some Jehengar like Indian resin flavor closer to the skin. I prefer to eat it in the crunchy phase because there is some acid balance and a stronger Indian resin flavor but this mango keeps for a long time with no deterioration of the flesh.

The flesh of this fully ripe fruit was still firm and had very little juice come out when squeezed. I believe that this mango will last a very long in the fridge.

Simon

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 11:14:47 PM »
I grow Maha in my yard and I've eaten it from various trees but I've never tried eating it in the green phase. These mangos also aren't blushing pink or red but that could be because they are picked so green. ...

Simon

Don't. Just don't. I've tasted unripe Maha and they are very sour.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 02:56:44 PM »
A friend from this forum recently notified me that there were some Asian mangos available at Lucky Seafood so I went there and picked some up. My friend said they could potentially be Kook Lom Krong but I know very little about Asian mangos so I have no idea what it is. 4 fruit were $6.99

Today, I stopped by Vinh Hung in Mira Mesa and they sold these same mangos in cases for $26/case.

I spoke to an Asian lady there and she said these mangos are sweet even when they are green and crunchy so I decided to purchase a case.

The 4 pack I bought from Lucky Seafood is blushing with a bit of yellow so I decided to cut one open so that I can sample these at different stages of ripeness. This one I cut open is just starting to turn soft so it is not in the crunchy phase anymore. The flesh gave little juice in this stage and it had a Brix of 19%! The flesh was sweet and tasted a bit like a sweet green apple and was very enjoyable. I think this mango will be excellent if prepared in the southeast Asian tradition with a bit of fish sauce or shrimp/crab paste and some chilly peppers and eaten chilled on a hot day.

The most exciting thing is that these were grown in Mexico so they were hot water treated and not irradiated. This variety is polyembryonic so it is a candidate for my seedling experiments.

Can anyone confirm the identity of this new commercial variety?

Simon

Those don't look  anything like of the Kook Lom Krong I have growing in the grove on Merritt Island.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »
http://vietbao.vn/vi/Doi-song-Gia-dinh/Diem-mat-nhung-loai-qua-TQ-bi-giau-nhem-tung-tich/2131667495/111/

It says "Green Mango from China"  with no specific name that I can find.  It does look similar to me.

Sapote

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
Those are good mangos. I had a box of it.

Don't let them turn soft. Much better green and crunchy.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 12:08:12 AM »
I'm pretty sure this is the same variety of mango my friends friend is growing. This tree is extremely productive year after year and is disease resistant. This variety may actually be a good rootstock for us here in SoCal. Here are some pictures that my friend sent me a long time ago. I posted a thread asking about what the variety could be a while back but I can't find the thread.

The size and shape of these mangos are about identical to the ones I posted.
Simon

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2017, 03:05:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is the same variety of mango my friends friend is growing. This tree is extremely productive year after year and is disease resistant. This variety may actually be a good rootstock for us here in SoCal. Here are some pictures that my friend sent me a long time ago. I posted a thread asking about what the variety could be a while back but I can't find the thread.

Simon

What is the name of those? That is a nice looking mango. Camouflage from the parrots would help too.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2017, 04:33:44 PM »

Simon

What is the name of those? That is a nice looking mango. Camouflage from the parrots would help too.

These mangos are best eaten sour green.  Can be eaten ripe too, but just not as good that way. It's a seedling tree from a buddy of mine name Randy. Started calling it Randy's green. Very productive and disease resistance. I grafted this for my aunt. All she does is just water. Easy to grow for beginners.

Simon, I'm almost 100% sure it's not the same variety as the commercial sweet green mangos.

Max

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 04:36:11 PM by fruit4me »

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 03:39:14 AM »
looks like mine too. I order it from eBay and the guy in thailand advertise it as green mango.  didn't specify the variety.
it was shipped bare root. I got two fruits,picked one smaller one because of the heat burn that dropped it.  Not too sour nor sweet.  Maybe still small, not yet mature.  It was super crunchy and has a resin taste to it. Would be great for mango salad.

the 2nd one is still hanging on the tree. It's getting bigger. I"m waiting to turn color and what it taste like when ripe.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 12:21:51 AM »
These Mangos are in season again. I got this at Vinh Hung in Mira Mesa, San Diego.

I really wish I knew exactly what this variety is. Once again it’s labeled as Manilla Mango

Simon