Author Topic: When White pummelo start fruit in Los Angeles Ca  (Read 976 times)

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
When White pummelo start fruit in Los Angeles Ca
« on: March 18, 2020, 10:03:28 PM »
Hi all,

I have this tree grow from seed, it is about 6 years old now.  Wonder when it start flowering?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: When White pummelo start fruit in Los Angeles Ca
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 01:49:43 PM »
Almost impossible to pinpoint maturity date for any one tree, or the growing location.  However, in general terms for a pummelo the generally accepted time from seed planting to fruit production is 7 to 10 years. 

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 02:30:26 PM »
Thanks Millet, I guess I am not patient enough.

Do you know around which month will pummelo flowering?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 02:34:25 PM by pinkturtle »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 03:49:22 PM »
In the spring.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 04:09:00 PM »
Thank you....

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 07:45:53 PM »
Trees that are grown from seed (and thus are growing on their own roots) have to reach a bigger size before they begin fruiting.

That is one of the main reasons these trees are usually not grown from seed.

Grafting a tree onto rootstock limits growth, and thus diverts the tree's energy into fruit production, earlier on in the tree's lifespan.

If you try to grow a pomelo tree on its own roots, it could take a long time before it begins fruiting, and that tree could grow to be very big. In their natural state in the tropics, pomelo trees can grow to be 45 feet high.
My grandparents used to have a big orange tree that must have been over 15 feet high.

You will one day have fruit, but it might be many years.

If I had to guess, I would guess you might have to wait 5 to 8 years before that seed-grown pomelo tree, of the size already shown in that picture, begins producing fruit. Pomelo trees also take a bit longer than other varieties of citrus.

One last important point, the issue could be pollination. Unlike grapefruit, most pomelo varieties are self-incompatible, and there should be some other different variety around, if you want fruit. (This can even be accomplished by grafting in a different variety into the same tree, either a different pomelo variety or other citrus)
If you're seeing flowers, but no fruit, the issue could be pollination.

However, I think I can see some other citrus tree in the background, in that picture, so maybe that is not the issue.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:54:34 PM by SoCal2warm »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 11:07:43 PM »
Thanks SoCal2warm, my tree is about 6 years old and I didn't see any flowers yet.  I know I need to wait for a while before it start bear fruit.  I have 4 trees grow from seeds, tangerine, longan, wampee, and pomelo at the same time.  Tangerine and wampee beared fruit last year.  Longan and pomelo are not, I thought pomelo should be flowering this year and I didn't see any yet.  Longan I heard will take up to 8~10 years before it starts flowering.  Pollination shouldn't be issue here, I have 4 citrus trees in my yard and my neighbor everyone had at least one citrus.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk