Author Topic: The Biggest Little Farm  (Read 1979 times)

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
The Biggest Little Farm
« on: December 05, 2019, 05:52:24 AM »
Anybody see this movie?  Here is a short interview with the owners of the farm I thought I’d share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv1Ydey7QO4

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: The Biggest Little Farm
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 09:10:39 AM »
Anybody see this movie?  Here is a short interview with the owners of the farm I thought I’d share.

I found the movie entertaining.  It's sort of a Hollywood, glamorized version of starting a small, organic family farm.  I see from their website that they now sell tickets for regular tours so maybe they've become like a SoCal theme park?  The average small farm would never have their resources.  I'd be really curious what someone like you who has done it without all the hype and connections thinks of this movie!
John

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 10:57:36 AM »

I found the movie entertaining.  It's sort of a Hollywood, glamorized version of starting a small, organic family farm.  I see from their website that they now sell tickets for regular tours so maybe they've become like a SoCal theme park?  The average small farm would never have their resources.  I'd be really curious what someone like you who has done it without all the hype and connections thinks of this movie!

First of all I have not seen the movie but can tell that it is a movie for children, meant to inspire them and open minded adults without sounding pedantic, which has tended to incite name calling like “tree hugger” , “purist”  or “crazy.”  To me it seems heavily influenced by someone with knowledge of The Waldorf Schools. 

Due to my own long journey to get healthy I know the brain, the gut and the soil are all interconnected.  Natural nutrient cycling, microbial life, bacteria are essential for soil health and our own survival.  I know from experience that eating nutrient rich food grown with these natural farming methods can heal both body and mind.  Our current industrial way of farming is not only killing the soil but it is slowly Killing us and polluting everything and only benefitting the large pharmaceutical companies    Spraying our food with copper and other bacteria killing substances to disguise a fungal diseases makes absolutely zero sense to me.  Growing our food with synthetic chemicals that bypass the natural nutrient cycle and leach into our waterways and cause stuff like red tide makes zero sense to me. 

There is another way, each of us have a choice and hopefully this movie will inspire a couple of future gardeners as they will need to clean up the mess we have made with our current industrial farming practices.  Anything that spreads the virtues of regenerative farming/biodynamics is alright by me.  I give it two thumbs up.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:06:07 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 01:29:35 PM »
There is another way, each of us have a choice and hopefully this movie will inspire a couple of future gardeners as they will need to clean up the mess we have made with our current industrial farming practices.  Anything that spreads the virtues of regenerative farming/biodynamics is alright by me.  I give it two thumbs up.

I don't disagree with you.
John

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 03:22:47 PM »
What an amazing system the Lord created. Thanks for sharing

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 08:40:49 AM »
(Amen.)  There is an infinite intelligence (or Infinite Intelligence) behind and within creation.  The human brain can only scratch the surface.  How can we feel so confident in destroying what we don't understand?  (The forests, oceans, biodiversity, etc.)  A little gratefulness and humility would go a long way.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:49:12 AM by johnb51 »
John

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 02:27:57 PM »
I saw it, definitely glamorized but entertaining.  I wonder what kind of funding/investors they had.
- Val

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 04:56:43 AM »
(Amen.)  There is an infinite intelligence (or Infinite Intelligence) behind and within creation.  The human brain can only scratch the surface.  How can we feel so confident in destroying what we don't understand?  (The forests, oceans, biodiversity, etc.)  A little gratefulness and humility would go a long way.
:)
Mike

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 10:44:37 AM »
Finally saw it I liked it. Looks and sounds right. Wait till Year 7.we are in our 4th year.

Anybody happen to know what Garcinia this is?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:48:06 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 11:35:08 AM »
garcinia looks a lot like achachairu.

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 01:12:45 PM »
garcinia looks a lot like achachairu.
Nope smaller leaves.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 10:58:48 PM »
Either G. hombroniana or G. dulcis?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:01:51 PM by MangoCountry »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 11:22:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing about the movie. I haven’t watched it yet but it looks interesting. I saw the short YouTube video and everything seems to make sense. I think my kids will be interested in watching this movie.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk