Author Topic: Advice needed for white sapote  (Read 3289 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed for white sapote
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2020, 05:12:57 PM »
Mike, in case i manage to travel back home in Fall, I could try to send you scions, so that you can graft. If it does not get very cold in you area, then grafting at this time of the year should not be a problem...

I consider Pike a nice tasting one, cero bitterness, but it has two drawbacks from my experince: I have to thin out the fruit, or otherwise I will get hundreds of small fruit (like plum), which are hard to enjoy, instead of apple-big fruit. Also when you pick the fruit, it gets soft very fast, so no chance for commertial pourposes. But as a backyard tree, I can recommend it.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed for white sapote
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2020, 04:45:40 AM »
Mike, in case i manage to travel back home in Fall, I could try to send you scions, so that you can graft. If it does not get very cold in you area, then grafting at this time of the year should not be a problem...

I consider Pike a nice tasting one, cero bitterness, but it has two drawbacks from my experince: I have to thin out the fruit, or otherwise I will get hundreds of small fruit (like plum), which are hard to enjoy, instead of apple-big fruit. Also when you pick the fruit, it gets soft very fast, so no chance for commertial pourposes. But as a backyard tree, I can recommend it.
You are a good knower of the habits of the cultivar. Last year was the second season with fruits of my tree. The tree had hundreds of them, small ones without seeds. Only 4-5 as i remember were full size and with seeds. Do you suggest to thin out or it is a lack of pollination that behaviour? About scions depends on weather Let see, keep in contact
Mike